Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 w/ Torched Springs

Old 08-05-12, 11:11 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC300 w/ Torched Springs

I've been reading some (and there isn't much on this topic) about people heating their springs so-as to compress them a bit, and get a decent drop affordably ...
Everyone says to avoid it, yet the people who've actually done it (correctly), say that they acquired the drop they wanted, AND retained ride comfort, and handling. So it seems to me that all the panic which comes with the topic, is more or less based on what others have said vs actual experience on heated springs; almost like it's a rule of thumb simply.
That said, I plan to get coilovers, but not right away, and I know that people sacrifice ride comfort for the superior handling which coilovers provide. Personally, I don't wanna sacrifice comfort or OEM handling, but I do want a good 2 or 3 inch drop.
However, this is the position Im in ... Im on stock springs ('97 SC300), and I just picked up some OEM Supra TT springs for $45 (bought several parts from a part-out on SupraForums, so he gave me a discount) and Im thinking that since I have my stock springs, if anything fails, I can just put them back on ... So, I wanna heat the Supra springs, so I have a nicely-sitting SC with OEM comfort, basically.
Now does anyone know the exact drop? 'Cus when searching on here, everyone says Supra springs are a 1 to 2" drop, but it's never definitive ... Well is it "one" or "two" ??? If it's one only, Im definitely heating them, 'cus I want at least 3 inches.
Personally, I don't really want a body kit (again, at least not yet), Im perfectly happy with the appearance of the stock '97 bumpers and sideskirts. So I think a nice drop will look great, and appear pretty low infact, without being "slammed".
So Im thinking of doing this, like seriously doing it, and Im wondering if anyone has (on an SC), and if so, what were the results?
Also, who in PA knows how to do this correctly, and can help me?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-purposes.html

Last edited by SEIDO; 08-05-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 03:54 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would reccomend against it. I know a lot of friends who have heated up their springs and compressed them using a spring compressor..and all of their springs have either cracked or flat out broke later on. The heat changes the molecular activity of the metal, causing different things to happen. Just save up for coilovers! do things RIGHT.
Old 08-05-12, 04:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My thoughts exactly.. ^^^^^^^^
Old 08-05-12, 06:16 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1954 Chevy Truck + Cut springs = ok.

ANY Lexus + Cut springs = You can't be serious...
Old 08-05-12, 06:48 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

no...just no...

and keep in mind with 18in rims you will also be putting on lower profile tires in order to match your original wheel's overall height (or to be more precise, diameter). Unless you plan on running 55 profile tires on your 18s, then THAT will add to your overall ride height. Just slap the Supra springs on and be done with it before you get flamed even more and have to purchase a flame retardant suit.
Old 08-05-12, 07:32 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the stock struts wont like being constantly compressed like that all the time
Old 08-05-12, 08:07 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by durtysc300
I would reccomend against it. I know a lot of friends who have heated up their springs and compressed them using a spring compressor..and all of their springs have either cracked or flat out broke later on. The heat changes the molecular activity of the metal, causing different things to happen. Just save up for coilovers! do things RIGHT.
Which part of the spring did they heat? The center coils or the top coil?
I can buy coilovers anytime, I make good money; Im just not ready to spend it on coilovers right now.

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
1954 Chevy Truck + Cut springs = ok.

ANY Lexus + Cut springs = You can't be serious...
Im not "cutting" the springs, Im "heating" them.

Originally Posted by chnk
the stock struts wont like being constantly compressed like that all the time
Thats another concern I had, how long would they hold up?
This one guy said he had gone 7 months, and had zero problems.
That sounded good to me, 'cus in 7 months, I'll have coilovers anyway.

Again though, nobody's answered my question ... Who's "actually" done this?
Secondly, exactly how low will the Supra springs drop? Is it "one inch", or "two"?
Anyone got a Before/After pic?

Last edited by SEIDO; 08-05-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 09:49 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

To be completely honest with you, I doubt you'll find anyone who has done this on their SC. Most of us are skeptical of doing this because it's changing the properties of the metal and the strut isn't designed for a spring shorter. If you have the money to just get coilovers, just get the coilovers? I'm not trying to be skeptical or sound like a jerk, I just don't understand why you would want to do something as sketchy as heating a spring and compressing it..that changes all the properties of the spring. It's unsafe and nobody on these forums would recommend doing something like that. This is a Lexus forum, not a Honda forum. Sorry if any of that came of rude, but for someone like me who is saving and saving and saving for mods for my car and won't resort to doing something like this, someone comes in with the money for coilovers but would do something completely sketchy as heating and compressing a spring. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 08-05-12, 10:30 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Im a pilot, and my money goes toward the sailplanes I fly on the weekends. It's like $140 a day to rent/fly planes.
So while I "could" spend $700 on coilovers, I'd rather just wait, and get the aesthetic Im looking for in a simple manner (I don't race my car, it's just a DD), while at the same time testing this theory, 'cus again, I can put the OEM springs back on if it doesn't work out. I'd like to know "first-hand" how it is however, than simply "believe people".
Not that I don't think you know what you're talking about, but I wanna know also. What better way to know than to do it? If it's bad, I'll know exactly "why it's bad". If its really not bad, then I'll come back and say "Hey you guys, this actually worked out really well, and I've had no problems!" Followed by a pic of my lowered SC, lookin' great. That's all.
No offense taken either

Ps: Another example was my old '92 SC. I had a 1JZ Engine, and my mechanic suggested that because its a PITA installing a turbo(s), it's best I get a single, and do it right then, while the engines out of the car.
However, I had never driven a 1JZ TT before, so my attitude was that I wanted to install it "stock" first, and have it for a while, even though I coulda bought a single turbo right away (which I ended up doing anyway), but why? Because I wanna really "know" my car. I wanna be able to say "I've driven a stock 1JZ, and it feels/sounds/performs/ like this, and these were my issues... (if any)", and then I can say "I've driven a single turbo 1JZ, and it feels/sounds/performs like this, as compared to the stock TT's, and these were my issues... etc."
Experience is meaningful to me...
Had I just gone and done one thing, right from the beginning, I wouldn't grow as knowledgable about a subject.

Last edited by SEIDO; 08-05-12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 10:37 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Supra springs don't fit SC shocks.
Old 08-05-12, 10:49 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Supra springs don't fit SC shocks.
Yeah I just read that while searching lol, thanks
Kind of a bummer. The dude's still selling the TT struts, so I might just buy them, sell the springs, OR
get a refund, and just wait for coilovers.
Old 08-06-12, 11:56 AM
97sc3
Driver School Candidate

Default springs shocks

no heating is good on a car u plan on using as a sports car, tt springs and shocks can be bought reasonably on supraforums or some of the shops as take offs for a reasonable upgrade.
Old 08-06-12, 01:02 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Just do it if you really want the experience. Seems like no one can convince you to not do it. Nobody knows how much lower it will drop. I would assume that it depends on how much you heat it up. Good luck!
Old 08-06-12, 02:25 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

a very possible side effect of heating springs
Old 08-07-12, 09:52 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

That video above was great, other than the hating lol.

I think if you want to lower your car without buying new springs, the best way to do it would be to cut some coils out of the spring. Note I would still not recommend this, but the advantages to cutting your springs is that you effectively increase the spring rate, which is essential when lowering a car. If your spring rate stays the same and you drop the car significantly, when you hit bumps or take corners at speed, the spring will compress completely and you will hit the bump stops, possibly even compressing those and getting a huge "thud" as your strut hits the upper mount. Not only is this very uncomfortable, but it can be down right dangerous mid-corner as you go from having your normal predictable spring rate, then to the added rate of the bump stop as it compresses, to no spring rate as the strut fully compresses.

Here is a great article about cutting springs and increasing spring rates, it does require a bit of math, but still pretty easy to figure out. It can be done properly if you know what the effects are going to be and know the limitations.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/1439/frankenmiata--handling-with-a-hacksaw.aspx

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC300 w/ Torched Springs