Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 1jz no start - ACC work - weird warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 04:59 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation sc400 1jz no start - ACC work - weird warning lights

Alright so yesterday i noticed my o/d light was flashing, so i checked the fluid and it was fine so i tried today to jump the terminals to see if i got a code.. but i pulled the efi fuse before i did that so everything was wiped. so i decided to let the car warm up and then when it turned back on i would jump the connectors.. while waiting for the temperature gauge to come up, i noticed it wasnt moving and the car had been idling for 5 minutes. the needle was straight down. i also noticed my low oil light (not the low oil pressure light that is red, this one is yellow) came on. I checked the oil and it was fine. i remembered that i had to jump a brown wire by the ecu on my old sc300 to make the temp gauge work, so i find the wire and ground it. i turn the key over and nothing besides the accessories turn on. no cel, no clicking from the starter. I had the battery tested yesterday and my alternator is brand new ( i kinda think the battery could have a bad cell or something)

My ideas so far:
1) bad battery
2) i messed some wire up on the body harness while
3) fuses
4) harness under wheel well

the thing i dont understand is that the car started fine and ran for 5 minutes and not less then 20 minutes later once i was done jumping the wire it wouldnt start. i undid the jump and put the wires back to stock and it still wont start. i have no idea whats going on.
Old 07-13-12, 05:47 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

for the car not starting, im starting to think its a ground issue. When i grounded the brown wire, i tapped it into the black wire right next to it. i think i may have cut to deep and cut out to many copper strand.. ill be fixing this tomorrow with a new wire, soldered in its place.

as for the temp gauge not working. i have no clue because it worked coming to work this morning, same for the low oil light, that wasnt on. only issue i had was a flashing o/d light..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-a-sc300.html

i saw this thread.. i think it could just be coincidence.

what would cause:
1) o/d light to flash - yet fluid is fine, shifts like it always has, and o/d still works
2) battery light to turn on - flicker at times then stay on - BRAND new alternator and tested strong battery
3) low oil light to turn on - oil is full
4) temp gauge to not work - 1jz swapped for awhile and its always worked.

all within a week.

Last edited by bryan767; 07-13-12 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 11:27 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Starter fuse blew. I undid the grounding of the brown wire as well. however my low oil light is still on and my temp gauge doesn't work. I'm thinking my cluster is dying, every warning light is on besides the check engine light and I can't pull any codes

Ps the gauge reads below cold. And doesn't move

Last edited by bryan767; 07-14-12 at 12:26 PM.