Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator harness hacked off of your 1JZ Swap? Click here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 07:25 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator harness hacked off of your 1JZ Swap? Click here!

If you, like me, bought a 1JZ swap and the a-holes you bought it from cut the alternator harness off, you'll find that info for where these wires are supposed to go is sparse. Not anymore. As you probably know, these wires are built into your factory GE harness and all go to different places to serve their individual purposes.

Luckily, Toyota got smart when they wired the alternator and gave us three wire colors that are the same between the harnesses - Yellow/Green, White and Black/yellow. If you're having the issue at hand, you have the option of cutting off the factory plug or wiring in the new oval plug that surely came with your swap. This option is up to you as either alternator style is readily available..

Now where do these wires go? The photos below demonstrate their position in the factory GE harness and how you can install them into your new 1JZ harness.

This is the location of the Black/Yellow wire. It receives switched power. It is dead in the center of this body plug. You will see that your 1JZ harness will be missing this. My best advice is to depin your factory one, clip this wire back about 5 inches, add it back into your new harness and extend it to your alternator.

This is the location of the Yellow/Green wire. This wire is the signal wire that illuminates the battery warning light on the dash. It is located all the way to the right and in the center of the seen plug. As with the wire we just looked at, I offer the same advice of depinning this from the factory GE harness, clipping it back about 5 inches, adding it to your new 1JZ harness and running the wire from there to your alternator.

This is the location of the White wire. This wire senses charge and connects to the fuse box. It is dead center in the factory GE plug. This plug is one of the two you removed that were between the fuse box and battery. You will notice that the GE has an oval plug and your 1JZ has a similar sized triangular plug. My advice here is to clip off the 1JZ plug, depin the GE plug entirely and add it to your 1JZ harness to make it plug and play with the one still in the car.

Hope this helps anyone that may be in a wiring bind!

Last edited by SFrymyah; 07-11-12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 07:00 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks!

but where are the first two plugs on the body harness, im assuming somewhere near the ecu?
Old 07-11-12, 07:03 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

The first two plugs i have pictured? They are the two that are right by the ECU, the ones you must extend when doing this swap.
Old 07-11-12, 07:39 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

I will go ahead and confirm this now incase anyone has any doubts. The OP's description of each function is also correct.

-Cam, Tweak'd Performance
Old 07-11-12, 07:42 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Originally Posted by TweakTech
I will go ahead and confirm this now incase anyone has any doubts. The OP's description of each function is also correct.

-Cam, Tweak'd Performance
awesome, thanks man
Old 07-11-12, 07:52 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFrymyah
awesome, thanks man
No problem!
Old 07-11-12, 08:14 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There you go guys ! I knew you would pull it off and thanks for Sharing.

Alot of good infos on this thread and the thread that started this one. i'll try to link them together.