Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Adding freon to 1992 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 02:07 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding freon to 1992 SC400

Does any one have a DIY link/video on how to add freon to a 92 SC400? It's record breaking heat here in Texas, so please help.............
Old 06-28-12, 02:25 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Its pretty easy, I just did it yesterday. You have to find out if your system is still using r12 freon which is very hard to find, or if it was converted to 134a which can be found at autozone.
If yoire gonna do it yourself then buy one from autozone WITH a guage. Or if you already have a guage then just get the can itself.

Then find your low pressure port which is on the compressor, it has green cap that says L on it. If you cant find it, just look under the front of the drivers side valve cover, its by the belts.
Turn on your car with the ac running. Then hook up your guage and bottle to the port, make sure it is reading pressure before you pop the seal of the freon. If its not reading pressure then you havent connected it to the port right. Then once it is reading then pop the seal on the can and itll suck it up automatically, make sure you dont overfill fill! The instuctions on the can will tell you the pressure it should be on depending on the temperature it is outside. The can will have detailed instructions. Im on break right now so i just did a quick tut but im sure someone will tell you the pieces I missed. Make sure you put your ac on max cold when youre doing it.
Old 06-29-12, 09:57 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

How different is the 2j motor? Im picking up a car in Arkansas and its gonna be 100+ degrees but needs a charge. Im looking at engine bay shots but cant see the high and low sides.. Any pictures would be great, better yet, an online chiltons manual lol.. Thanks

Edit: I already have the gauge

Last edited by Kris9884; 06-29-12 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-29-12, 10:16 AM
durps
Lead Lap

Honestly, I have no idea with a 2j :l
Sorry, never even seen one in person lol. Im pretty sure the high is right next to the radiator and the low should be by the belts right on top of the compressor. Just look.for the colored caps. On the sc4 theyre both on the right half of the bay. The drivers half.
Old 06-30-12, 10:25 AM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kris9884
How different is the 2j motor? Im picking up a car in Arkansas and its gonna be 100+ degrees but needs a charge. Im looking at engine bay shots but cant see the high and low sides.. Any pictures would be great, better yet, an online chiltons manual lol.. Thanks

Edit: I already have the gauge
If it truly just needs a charge, it's easy......I typically assume a car doesn't have AC if the seller is saying that.....mainly because it's $30 and 10 minutes to charge it. If it were really that easy to fix, they'd likely have done it when they decided to sell.

At any rate....

There are two fittings with caps, a high side and a low side. The low side is what you want, it's typically blue.

Just buy the recharge can w/ hose from a local parts store. If the hose won't fit on the low side port then your vehicle is likely still equipped for R-12......if that's the case, disregard the rest of this post and call your local mechanic or do some searching/reading....cars now use R-134.

Crank the vehicle and turn the A/C to full blast. Connect the hose, pull the trigger (or turn the ****....whatever opens the flow of the can)....and magic happens.

WATCH OUT FOR THE BELT AND THE FAN!!!!!

Shake the can some, make sure to keep it aggitated. It helps make sure the can empties more quickly.

If you get one that has a gauge, just watch that. It'll tell you when you're at a good pressure.

If this doesn't work, you needed more than just a recharge. Time to consult a technician.

-Will
Old 06-30-12, 01:38 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by AMGWNAB
If it truly just needs a charge, it's easy......I typically assume a car doesn't have AC if the seller is saying that.....mainly because it's $30 and 10 minutes to charge it. If it were really that easy to fix, they'd likely have done it when they decided to sell.

At any rate....

There are two fittings with caps, a high side and a low side. The low side is what you want, it's typically blue.

Just buy the recharge can w/ hose from a local parts store. If the hose won't fit on the low side port then your vehicle is likely still equipped for R-12......if that's the case, disregard the rest of this post and call your local mechanic or do some searching/reading....cars now use R-134.

Crank the vehicle and turn the A/C to full blast. Connect the hose, pull the trigger (or turn the ****....whatever opens the flow of the can)....and magic happens.

WATCH OUT FOR THE BELT AND THE FAN!!!!!

Shake the can some, make sure to keep it aggitated. It helps make sure the can empties more quickly.

If you get one that has a gauge, just watch that. It'll tell you when you're at a good pressure.

If this doesn't work, you needed more than just a recharge. Time to consult a technician.

-Will
Yea thanks man, I'm with ya 100%. Its super easy to do but most likely needs to be pressurized etc.. I was just wondering "where" the low side was, usually on the canister by the radiator if im not mistaken but Iguess I'll find out Wednesday.
Old 07-07-12, 01:07 PM
Redtallman
Rookie

you can by a r12-r134 kit it just screws on the low side cap...did that on a 92 sc400..

ill take a pic of low side for you sc300 guys hold on.

3rd picture is high side by radiator cap----dont fill there..

1 st pic is showing you general area of low side its actually under air intake on the frame rail.

2 pic you should see the cap not the 1 with wires but below it to the right...

1 can of compressor oil and sealent all in one very small can..

2 I use 2 12.oz cans of refrigerant from big lott 8 dollars a can..

that was last spring still blowing icebergs now..
Attached Thumbnails Adding freon to 1992 SC400-low-side-top.jpg   Adding freon to 1992 SC400-low-side.jpg   Adding freon to 1992 SC400-high.jpg  

Last edited by Redtallman; 07-07-12 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-08-12, 05:47 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

I'm hearing mixed reviews when it comes to R12 vs R134a. I just did the valve retrofit Friday and my local mechanic charged the system with R134a refrigerant. In my opinion, it feels like R12 blows colder than R134a. Did anyone else noticed that when they retrofitted to R134a?

Edit : my car is a 92 SC400.
Old 07-08-12, 07:21 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Well yea, proven fact that r12 is colder but much worse for the environment. r134 is the way to go since its cheaper and easier to find. Its consistantly 100+ here in Missourri and my r134 is more than cold enough for me and I dont even have window tint and my fan clutch is going out lol.