Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C blows hot air...awesome.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 08:07 PM
Maik04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C blows hot air...awesome.

Hey guys have a 94 sc4 and the ac is just blowing hot air. I've been reading and trying to see what it can be. I just got the car so I dont know what could of happened. My AC light does not blink, when I turn it on the compressor spins which i think means the clutch does engage? My rpms drop too so I know its trying to work.
Could I just be low on freon? I know theres deff freon in the car or else the compressor wouldn't turn on or the clutch wouldnt engage, I forgot what it means when the thing spins lol. Thinking about just buying thos.e recharge kits at Autozone now that I know where the low pressure port is.
Or maybe my condensor has crapped out?
As long as my compressor turns on that means Im in not major crap right? Fuses are fine too.
Help me out guys! Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-12, 08:35 PM
Maik04
Driver

Not drop, i mean my rpms go up lol.
Old 06-25-12, 08:30 AM
Maik04
Driver

Did the climate control test and I got code 21, then did the actuator test and got.codes 20-27. Am I screwed?
Also, can I refill refridgerant on the low pressure point thats on the compressor, or do I have to use the second low pressure side on the passenger side by the fire wall, help me out please
Old 06-25-12, 09:12 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

You can't hack job the A/C system back to life.

I would turn it on and find the sight glass in the A/C system. Can you see refrigerant flowing through? The AC compressor always spins. Is the clutch in the center of the A/C pulley engaged and spinning? Do you hear a clunk when you turn the A/C on?

I would:

Turn the A/C on, inject dye into the A/C low port, fill the low port with 134A until you get cool air coming out of the vents.

Then with a UV light at night, shine it on the entire A/C piping. You will see green where there are leaks. If there are a lot of leaks there is only one way to do it right.

Buy an o-ring kit, drier, and compressor oring kit. Put all new orings in the pipe junction as well as inside the compressor.

Once that is all back together again you will need to pull a vacuum on the system with a vacuum pump or cheap venturi things that hooks up to an air line. You will also need a set of A/C gauges.

If the system holds vacuum overnight (between 25 and 30 vac) and doesn't leak then you turn on the A/C and fill it up again to spec.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-25-12, 11:01 AM
Maik04
Driver

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
You can't hack job the A/C system back to life.

I would turn it on and find the sight glass in the A/C system. Can you see refrigerant flowing through? The AC compressor always spins. Is the clutch in the center of the A/C pulley engaged and spinning? Do you hear a clunk when you turn the A/C on?

I would:

Turn the A/C on, inject dye into the A/C low port, fill the low port with 134A until you get cool air coming out of the vents.

Then with a UV light at night, shine it on the entire A/C piping. You will see green where there are leaks. If there are a lot of leaks there is only one way to do it right.

Buy an o-ring kit, drier, and compressor oring kit. Put all new orings in the pipe junction as well as inside the compressor.

Once that is all back together again you will need to pull a vacuum on the system with a vacuum pump or cheap venturi things that hooks up to an air line. You will also need a set of A/C gauges.

If the system holds vacuum overnight (between 25 and 30 vac) and doesn't leak then you turn on the A/C and fill it up again to spec.
Thank you for the informative post! Its just what I needed. Yes the clutch engages and spins. Im not sure if theres a clunking sound.

Where is the sight glass, I have heard of it dont know where its located.

Will do the uv test. Also, can i use the low pressure port on the compressor or do i have to use the other low. pressure port.
Thanks again!
Old 06-25-12, 11:05 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Doesn't matter which port. Sight glass is usually on the drier or nearby. Small glass window in the line that you can see the flow of refrigerant.

There should be little to no air bubbles in the glass when it's full. Should be a solid color liquid.
Old 06-25-12, 05:36 PM
Maik04
Driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUM8...e_gdata_player

Heres a video of my sight glass. Looks bubbly to me, deff not solid.
So I should proceed to use refrigerant with dye correct?
Once again thank you so much.
Old 06-25-12, 05:39 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Video is private.

They sell the dye can separate otherwise if they have straight 134A with dye use that. Don't use any additives or leak stoppers.

Add until air is cool again. A 12oz can should do the trick. You probably won't use it all. Just add enough until the air is cool and the dye is in. Run it for a few days, let it sit overnight, repeat.

Check with the UV light at night.
Old 06-25-12, 06:12 PM
Maik04
Driver

Oops! Sorry unprivate now
Alright sounds great, going to autozone tomorrow!