Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

which to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 12:54 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which to choose?

so i am new to this thread, and i love sc 300's. i want so badly to put a 2jz-gte in one. so now im saving up for a sc.
before i choose though... i am in dire need of knowing some stuff about the sc's. i have tried googling and searching for this but have not found anything.
if i am going to buy a sc 300, i want obd2, switch out to 2jz-gte, (i just dont want na-t i want full turbo, i know im picky), and be able to tune the computer. but the thing is if i put a eeprom or idk what about computers being as i am not in that situation yet, i want something that can be tunable, and still pass emissions. maybe like full motec system. i know its expensive but i will do it. i just need the right information and tools. so if anybody knows if the 97 is programmable please let me know. if not i'll just buy an obd1 96.

i copied and paste this from a honda forum but it describes exactly what im asking.

"Does the technology exist that would allow an OBD2 ecu to be programmed but still allow it retain all of the OBD2 sensors functions? For instance where I live has "emissions" testing that consists of connecting to the OBD2 port to check for any DTCs and to verify the readiness status is complete. If there are no codes I pass. In an ideal world I would like an ECU that I could tune and not have to deal with the issues of swapping out an ECU and hoping I do not "throw" a code on the way to the inspection"
Old 06-23-12, 02:08 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW! That was a lot on your first post...first off welcome to CL. Next, IMO try and find a 92-95 year (OBD 1) will be easier, and less of a hassle with emissions. OBD 2 are not impossible to tune, work on or work with...but considering you're asking this question on the forums-you're probably not at the experience level you need to be to do so. Just being honest with you.

As far as the 2JZGTE swap, keep saving.be prepared to make some subtle, but recommended changes with this swap. I want insult you and list them out for you. There's a lot of useful swap info here, use the search forum at the top of the page. You will need to make some decisions, most importantly do your research. Ultimately set a realistic goal for yourself. What are you looking for in your SC? A really good build to look at, with pics. Check out 97-SC300. My 2JZGTE Build thread.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Steve

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 06-23-12 at 02:11 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks! LOL
Old 06-23-12, 02:33 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Anything is possible with cash...just know SC's are pretty much Supra's so they're not cheap period. 92-96 are nice when slammed but if you want something that looks better factory like a 97-00 that's ok as well. It's pretty much personal preference but as far as boost...don't count out the 1JZ-GTE either. Everyone talks about 2J this & that but a 1J can pretty much do near the same plus is almost $1,000 cheaper. Oh I forgot it revs higher from factory as well. 2JZ-GTE is for someone really looking for BIG power like 700hp & up. To build on a budget you can pull power from a 1JZ-GTE & be happy plus save BIG. Look into it...don't knock it before you try it Good luck with your SC search & build.
Old 06-23-12, 04:30 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

I know i can find the info easily to swap it out to 2jzgte. I just want to know if it is possible. I have a 97 accord now that's obd2 and the computer is completely unprogrammable. I heard i have to change it to obd1 to tune it which would make my car illegal. I wouldn't be able to register it. I want to know if I can tune an obd2 on the Lexus and still register it.
Thank you for the welcome. Cant wait to get mine and show it off to everyone.
I won't take offense to anything. I know learning comes with harsh comments as well as compliments.
I'm willing to go down to a 96 since they are still manuals in that option only reason I want 97 is cause it'd obd2 and cause its the last year that came manual.
I have goals and already kinda know what i want. I am mechanically inclined. I just don't know how to tune. I am willing to invest buttloads of money to make it fast and keep it a daily driver.
My dad is a mechanic and I have been helping him out with cars since I was 11. I am even willing as doing a complete wire tuck myself. I know I can do it.
My biggest concern is I want my car to run full motec. I've heard its been done. I just want to be able to run the motec with all obd2 sensors still working so if I hook up the obd2 scanner it will pass smog. But I'm kinda getting the feeling obd1 would be way easier to do this with.
Old 06-23-12, 04:42 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

So I just read what I wrote and thought to myself, did not explain right. Let me rephrase.
-take out ecu, install motec, keep all sensors and still pass smog to keep as daily driver.
That is my biggest concern. That is why I want to know if I should get obd1 or obd2.
Old 06-23-12, 04:50 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by grumpi300
So I just read what I wrote and thought to myself, did not explain right. Let me rephrase.
-take out ecu, install motec, keep all sensors and still pass smog to keep as daily driver.
That is my biggest concern. That is why I want to know if I should get obd1 or obd2.
Just go 1J...do you have prior boost experience?
Old 06-23-12, 06:52 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Sorry but no. 1j is nowhere in my future. I only want 2j.
And no boost experience.
Old 06-23-12, 07:18 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by grumpi300
Sorry but no. 1j is nowhere in my future. I only want 2j.
And no boost experience.
You have no boost experience & it seems like you're coming from Honda's...boost is serious & can be very dangerous without experience. What's your reason for knockin' the 1J?
Old 06-23-12, 08:24 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My question also? Don't knock the 1JZ , a terrific motor with reliability. Some people are just set on the look of the 2JZ.
Old 06-23-12, 10:52 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the 1JZ. People that decide they "need" a 2JZ are either shooting for power beyond the what a 1JZ can handle, or just finished watching The Fast and Furious. Streetcars that make over 600rwhp are borderline undriveable on the street unless you turn down the boost. A 1JZ can comfortably get you to borderline undriveable territory.

I don't know if you are aware of the cost of a Motec system just to start. Also, the emissions friendliness of the Motec may not be what you think it is. Maybe for these cars it's easier, but on other platforms you throw OBD2 status out the window with a Motec. Haltech is easier to integrate into an emissions compliant vehicle. Although I never tinkered with ProEFI, I have heard it is a very street friendly option as well.

Motec is probably in the top 5 best standalone systems money can buy, but it's really overkill for a street car and probably will be tougher to use than the more common standalones.
Old 06-23-12, 11:43 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

I have never been into Honda's. I only drive one because of its reliability. I:-) also have never been in a race or near a race unless you count formula drift?
I understand turbos are fast and scary. Hell I bet the 2jz n/a is scary fast by itself. I just want it though. You asking me why not 1jz is like me asking you why not supra over sc? Or this thing over that thing. Ive just always been into 2jz's since I first heard about them. How much power they can handle, how sturdy they are. Everything.
I also know I want a daily driver out of my 2jz Lexus sc300 but also want to take it to the track on weekends and be able to smoke every driver there. < figure of speech.
Intimazy- I didn't know that motec was bad on emissions. But none-the-less I still am looking for my answer on finding out if its possible to take out the stock ecu and run my car off of a pure stand alone while still keeping all the sensors and I/m monitors and all that fun obd2 emissions stuff.
Old 06-24-12, 12:29 AM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

I understand what you're saying but the best thing to do is research. Without boost experience I wouldn't recommend the BIG power that you're referring to because you can hurt yourself or others if you lose control.

These are key steps:

1st...Research
2nd...Find the car
3rd...Do further research & comparisons of swaps along with creating a hp goal (Are you building a street car or a race car)
4th...Figure out your budget (these cars are NOT CHEAP)
5th...Buy your 2JZ or whatever swap/route you choose once you've done efficient research

Build slow & expect down time...get use to boost before you up it

Good luck with your plans

Last edited by MrCJ305; 06-24-12 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 01:14 AM
Vortes
Lead Lap

You may want to think twice about this car being your daily. If you are swapping in a new motor, 90% of the drivetrain needs to be swapped out to handle the power, and that means down time. Most of the info you are looking for can be found by searching. The kind of modding you are planning on doing requires a lot of time, money, and knowledge.
Old 06-24-12, 08:51 AM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

AliSc3 wired in the gte ecu on his 95 sc300. If you,was to do that you could run aem or whatever standalone you want.
Old 06-24-12, 10:22 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Thank you trevstuh. From what I kinda got I guess obd1 would be easier to tune. I understand a lot of downtime. I already know my car would be down a lot.
Mrcj305 and vortes, you guys think I want to just buy a sc buy a 2jz put a big *** Turbo and internals and immediately make it over 1000hp then just take it for a test drive? That's not my goal.
I plan on buying my sc then driving it around for a while. Then when I get the money swap out for a 2jz-gte then drive around till I save up more money then slowly mod some more. It'd not all just on one go.
I do have my Honda to get me places when my sc is down for the swaps and everything.
The biggest reason I started this thread was to find out this, "can I tune a obd2 ecu to allow for changes in engine such as air/fuel ratio, fuel maps, bigger cans, etc. And still keep it obd2. If so would it still pass smog?"
The reason I asked was because my Honda is obd2 and I asked someone about adding more power and he said that mine would have to be converted to obd1 and if I do that it will never pass smog. So that got me thinking if the sc is the same way.
That's really all I need to know. That's where all this started.

Quick Reply: which to choose?