Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Adjusting a TPS by hand?

Old 06-20-12, 10:47 AM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Adjusting a TPS by hand?

I currently don't have a ohmeter to do a detailed adjustment on the new TPS I am going to put in in hopes of finally resolving my "Stuttering/Hicupping" issue.
I am wondering if there was a way to do this by "feel" to get by until I can do a detailed adjustment?

Like loosen screws with car running and slowly twist it till it revs/dies/idles better/worse ?

I read on another forum that I could just set it as close to center as I can and then take it out for a drive and stomp on the gas "Italian Tune Up" style and the ECU would adjust to the TPS but that didn't sound right.
Old 06-20-12, 11:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It can be done by feel, but its not the best way to do it.
When i installed the aristo ecu and the stock TPS, I backed the tps off completely (turn in same direction as throttle blade).
You want to turn it in the other direction now so it is at least slightly engaged. somewhere around there it will start to idle good, then a little more turning it will idle badly.
So once you get there you sort of back it off slowly till it idles fine again (you want it just before it idles badly, but not too close).
from here you can make very small adjustments to make it rev smooth when you crack the throttle blade, if the rpm's dip for a second when you crack the throttle blade, your not breaking idl soon enough, so rotate more against the throttle blade, till you are right behind that point.

most of the time if you pass it, and then back it up a notch you should be pretty close. unless my tps is "special".
Old 06-21-12, 03:05 PM
chizz95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere once .65-.70 on an ohms meter is where you want it I forgot what two wires on the gps to touch tho..

My tps was so off I adjusted it to those specs and its perfect throttle response now

GL
Old 06-21-12, 10:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah i'm going to pull out the voltmeter for mine soon, its close but not perfect.
Old 03-22-20, 11:44 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
It can be done by feel, but its not the best way to do it.
When i installed the aristo ecu and the stock TPS, I backed the tps off completely (turn in same direction as throttle blade).
You want to turn it in the other direction now so it is at least slightly engaged. somewhere around there it will start to idle good, then a little more turning it will idle badly.
So once you get there you sort of back it off slowly till it idles fine again (you want it just before it idles badly, but not too close).
from here you can make very small adjustments to make it rev smooth when you crack the throttle blade, if the rpm's dip for a second when you crack the throttle blade, your not breaking idl soon enough, so rotate more against the throttle blade, till you are right behind that point.

most of the time if you pass it, and then back it up a notch you should be pretty close. unless my tps is "special".
Is this supposed to be done when the engine is completely warmed up? This TPS adjustment is really giving me a hard time.
Old 03-23-20, 06:01 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Yep, only do this with the car completely warm. It helped me a lot, and if you give it a shot, its fairly intuitive if you follow Ali's directions. I need to finalize mine with a voltmeter soon too, however, with Ali's instructions I got my car driving 100% better simply doing this by feel.
Old 03-23-20, 07:29 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Yep, only do this with the car completely warm. It helped me a lot, and if you give it a shot, its fairly intuitive if you follow Ali's directions. I need to finalize mine with a voltmeter soon too, however, with Ali's instructions I got my car driving 100% better simply doing this by feel.
ok cool, I’ll give it another shot once I sober up.
Old 03-23-20, 11:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I think you want to do the final tweaking with it fully warmed up, but you can ballpark it when cold also I think.