Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weird tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 10:10 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird tranny?

Hey guys, just got an issue. Bought a 94 sc4 with a rough tranny. Trying to figure if it has a bad tranny,bad mounts, needs new filter/oil, or replace the shift solenoids.
Well its like this, when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, its always rough. 2nd through 4th are awesome. When it downshifts from 2nd to 1st its also fine just going into 2nd is rough. It only shifts fine from 1st to 2nd when Im hitting 2k or more rpms.
Other issue is when I hit exactly 40 mph, the tranny slips. I think thats how I should word it. For example, I hit 40mph and it'll go, then die a bit, then grab and go, and then die until I go faster than 40. Like just imagine stomping on the throttle then letting go, then stomping again and then letting go.Just not as rough lol. It just keeps pausing and going. But if I cruise any faster than that them the problem disappears.
My my overdrive works and the o/d light flashes when I get on the car and go WOT but never flashes if I drive normally.
Just bought some toyota type t IV fluid so I'm hoping thatll fix my issue but.mostly wont.
Any input guys? Dont.know.crap about transmissions lol.
Thanks for reading.
Old 06-18-12, 10:50 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slipping is bad. Find a good used tranny and replace it. SC4 tranny's are harder to come by than the 300's but they are out there. I paid $300 for mine, but also got a diff and driveshaft with it.
If you got the money then have it rebuilt.
Either way , good luck.
Old 06-19-12, 01:27 AM
durps
Lead Lap

Im not sure if thats what slipping is, just worded it that way, are the symptoms of real slippage like this? Like it'll keep going that way the entire time when I hit 40 or so, any higher and it acts normal. Just feels like it accelerates, picks up to speed, then stops, accelerates and.picks up to speed, and then stops.
Old 06-19-12, 03:18 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Bumppppp....
Old 06-19-12, 03:58 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

I believe gts is right, seems like it's slipping ok what i would suggest first is:

A: its not the mounts, i have a mount problem with mine it give a vibration so let's rule that out.
B: Before you change your tranny oil/filter check and see if the atf fluid is low. If so DON"T CHANGE IT AS YET!!! Go and buy some seafoam transtune, get a funnel, and drop it in (about the entire can) in through a funnel through the trans dipstick (pull the dipstick out obviously lol) after which cycle through gears maybe drive say atleast 5-7 mins in every gear starting in low, then 2nd etc and reverse vary your speeds so the liquid can work in. After which, say you go a max of 5-7 miles, DROP YOUR TRANNY FLUID/FILTER don't go past say 10miles max, thats pushing it. you should feel a difference though, but still you have to drop the fluid. Remember drop the entire/all atf fluid as in draining it, pulling the pan (as shavings will be there) they sell kits with a new gasket and what not.. Hope this helps, my car isn't doing what your car is but i'll be changing my atf fluid soon. Remember atf- type IV (toyota, same fluid can work if you drain your power steering fluid) hope this helps ya!
Old 06-19-12, 08:22 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont let my trannys slip, keep them on check with my backhand.

There is usually alot of sc400s in the local picka a part here, usually like 100 bucks but you never know what your gonna get.