Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dropping in the 1j right now quick ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 06:34 AM
jmorando05
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping in the 1j right now quick ??

I can't get this thing to settle in I have the mounts lined up with holes and guides as well but can't get it to drop down. I've jacked trans, jumped on it but won't settle. Kind of looks like front of pan is sitting on the crossmember I think. Are my mounts to short or something? There oem sc300's I believe
Old 06-10-12, 06:40 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

is the front of your car jacked up ? it has to be jacked up a certain height and get the right angle to get that sucker in .. not unless you have an engine load balancer on your hoist where you can change the angle of that engine while it is being dropped .

Last edited by gerrb; 06-10-12 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 06:41 AM
jmorando05
Driver

Yea I'd say tires are about 6in off the ground.. Go higher?
Old 06-10-12, 06:46 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jmorando05
Yea I'd say tires are about 6in off the ground.. Go higher?
yes .. find the right height that will correspond to the angle in which your engine is currently hanging on the hoist .. so you can slide it in .. .

your engine angle while on the hoist should be on the same angle of the car while jacked up infront... when the engine is fully in , then slowly lower your car level till you can push the engine into the crossmember holes..
Old 06-10-12, 06:48 AM
jmorando05
Driver

It is and bolt tips are in the holes just won't settle completely.. I'll try messing with it a little
Old 06-10-12, 06:53 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

lower the car a bit so you have wiggle room... also anything above the trans hitting the tunnel that prevent the front of the engine from going down to settle into the holes completely ?

Make sure the oil pan had totally passed the crossmember before even thinking of aligning those bolts into the holes, otherwise as you said, the front of the pan will just sit on the crossmember and mounts wont settle in.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-10-12 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 07:17 AM
jmorando05
Driver

So frustrating. Not that I can see.. So go down with the car while it's sitting in the holes?
Old 06-10-12, 07:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

you are saying that the mounts are directly above the crossmember holes but engine won't go down and settle into the holes...

a) has the oil pan totally crossed the crossmember ? if not .. then you need to get that oil pan accross otherwise those mounts will never settle down since oil pan will be sitting on the crossmember.

b) I am assuming that you have the correct engine brackets and engine mounts... some people might claim that such brackets/mounts came from so and so but in reality didn't if you bought them used . So you should make sure you got the right one.

c) if oil pan is already beyond the cross member , for the front engine to go down, there should not be anything preventing the end of the transmission within the tunnel from tilting upwards so the engine mount bolt will go down the crossmember holes..

Last question for you , is the back of your engine touching the firewall right now at an angle ? If yes , then engine isn't settled all the way in yet.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-10-12 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 07:31 AM
jmorando05
Driver

The whole pan should clear cross member and
Then come back forward to go into crossmember holes correct? My problem
Is I'm hitting the firewall so am going to try more angle. The part of
The pan that extends down cleared but the front higher portion is sitting on th member.
Old 06-10-12, 07:34 AM
jmorando05
Driver

Pretty much just realized I'm an idiot and said the problem.. That's why I like another set of eyes or ears atleast to catch the obvious lol
Old 06-10-12, 07:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The whole pan should clear cross member and
Then come back forward to go into crossmember holes correct? My problem
Is I'm hitting the firewall so am going to try more angle. The part of
The pan that extends down cleared but the front higher portion is sitting on th member.
that answers the problem ... your engine isnt sitted in well yet .... get that right angle of jacking up the front so you can push that engine all the way back .. then when it is all the way back, lower a bit the engine and the car so you can wiggle those mount bolts into the holes. The front portion of the oil pan should not sit on the cross member . You wont be able to budge that engine cause it is also hitting the firewall.

play around with the height of the car in front so you can push the engine more if you don't have the hoist load balancer where you can change the angle of the engine hoisted while pushing it all the way in.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-10-12 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 07:43 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Pretty much just realized I'm an idiot and said the problem.. That's why I like another set of eyes or ears atleast to catch the obvious lol
Well, no one knows everything, we all have things to learn. You and I are on the same boat.. newbies I guess.. We ask for help when we don't know and am always thankful when someone chimes in about questions I ask and are willing to say their views without being nasty. And with the little I know , I try to share in as much as I can.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-10-12 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 09:29 AM
jmorando05
Driver

No luck definitely not a 1 person job especially without a leveler
Old 06-10-12, 10:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

sorry to hear that ... I was on the same boat one time when I was dropping my built supra engine... exactly same situation but I managed to get it in. It is the angle of the engine on the hoist and the car's angle which is important to get that thing in.
Old 06-10-12, 11:45 AM
jmorando05
Driver

Yea I bought a hoist leveler and still can't get it to line up I'm starting to think I have the wrong mounts. I wish I could find a pic of bottom of the pan and how it sits
Cause I'm pretty sure only the part where it slopes down goes below cross member because the whole pan won't fit In that space.

Quick Reply: Dropping in the 1j right now quick ??