Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Filter Advice needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 10:38 AM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Advice needed ASAP

92 SC400

1/8 tank of fuel

changing filter

It's been 5 minutes, and it's still flowing strong. I've opened the gas cap, jacked the car up, removed the EFI fuse, disconnected the battery, and even jammed something down the fuel filler neck to makesure there wasn't a flap holding pressure (similar to what happens on some F-bodies).

It is STILL flowing strong.

Any help is appreciated

-Will
Old 06-09-12, 10:41 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Its not gonna stop. I just did mine, and gas was flowing the whole time I was installing the new filter. About a gallon came out and it still wasn't done. Disconnected the battery just to make sure fuel pump isn't working. There's really a lot of fuel in the lines.
Old 06-09-12, 10:45 AM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Well damn, that sucks. I expected the 20-30 seconds I read about in the DIY's....

My underarm stings from the fuel.

Blah

-Will
Old 06-09-12, 11:19 AM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

I've worked on plenty of cars before. I have no clue why, but this thing is going to sit here and drain the ****ing tank. I ran to the parts store to get a 14mm flare wrench, and it's still going. It burns the backside of my underarm it's rolling down so much. I'm not this dedicated anymore....I'll change it when it's done draining.

Now why in the hell is it draining the tank? THAT I don't understand. Gravity shouldn't pull it through the pump.

-Will
Old 06-09-12, 11:26 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no idea neither. But I didn't want to find out, so I did it while fuel was dripping on my arm. I'm dark skinned so it didn't do much damage. Lol
Old 06-09-12, 11:28 AM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

It went for over 20 minutes. I haven't hooked the battery back up to check yet, but I have a hunch that I'll have to carry a gas can to Kroger before I can check for leaks....

-Will
Old 06-09-12, 11:29 AM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I have no idea neither. But I didn't want to find out, so I did it while fuel was dripping on my arm. I'm dark skinned so it didn't do much damage. Lol
lol, I hear ya. My arms are all torn up from changing the belt tensioner and fixing the timing cover last night, so it burned pretty damn bad!

-Will
Old 06-09-12, 12:34 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Well, it's on.....at 200K it still had the STOCK fuel filter. The fittings were so seized I rounded them off with a damn flare wrench.

The metal line twisted a bit. I know that's a restriction. I'll probably cut and flare the lines and use rubber hoses to put a different inline filter in later.

It's in......my tank is empty.

-Will
Old 06-09-12, 02:08 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, Ive posted some pretty strong threads on this very subject. Always use the search thread button at the top of each sub-forum. My thread says DANGER fuel filter replacement. They all drain the tanks and the prob. is no ones prepared for it when they start the filter change, including me, twice. The only thing you can really do is run the fuel out by driving as much as possable, then have a large pan to catch the rest when you open the lines. Ive done this on two diff. SCs and they both ruined the line nuts.
Old 06-09-12, 04:19 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Originally Posted by over40driv
Sorry, Ive posted some pretty strong threads on this very subject. Always use the search thread button at the top of each sub-forum. My thread says DANGER fuel filter replacement. They all drain the tanks and the prob. is no ones prepared for it when they start the filter change, including me, twice. The only thing you can really do is run the fuel out by driving as much as possable, then have a large pan to catch the rest when you open the lines. Ive done this on two diff. SCs and they both ruined the line nuts.
I searched multiple phrases. Either I didn't search the right phrase or I didn't go far enough back.

My garage smells like the inide of a gas tank now.

You hit the nail on the head.....the rear line nut is trashed.

If I have to do anything to it now, I'll be forced to cut/flare/replace with rubber hose....

-Will
Old 06-09-12, 06:37 PM
2low2go
Driver School Candidate

It's so much easier just to cut the fuel filter out than try and undo those fittings. They are all rusted and seized in place. Get yourself a flaring kit and do it right with new fittings.
Old 06-09-12, 06:42 PM
food7373
Pole Position

Here's my DIY w/ pics. The fuel will keep draining til empty. Don't know why....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ange-nuts.html
Old 06-09-12, 07:38 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Might want to try what this guy said to avoid loosing alot of fuel.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/869647-post5.html
Old 06-09-12, 10:48 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

It's on and working now. I'll likely have to cut it out next time.

For future reference, is there a filter that I can use with rubber hose? I'm thinking I'll probably cut/flare the hard lines, use some 300 PSI fuel hose to connect to that, and install the next FF that way. I'm wondering if there is a stock filter off of something else that might work....a late model mustang or something?

Thoughts?

-Will
Old 06-10-12, 12:17 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your supposed to remove the EFI fuse to de pressurize the fuel system. Remove it while the car is running and it will die out and de pressurize

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Advice needed ASAP