Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'99 SC400 CEL and other problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 11:46 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy '99 SC400 CEL and other problems.

Hey, I bought this SC4 about a month ago. It's '99 SC400 black on black. After about 2 days of driving, the CEL came on, so I went to local shop and they said that one of the catalytic converters is bad. After looking thoroughly at the car, I found that the car's interior and other parts were taken apart. All wires are loose, the ECU is not original but looks like it's from some junkyard.
So as of now, I have the following codes (pics below). Also, when the engine is cold, shouldn't the RPM be around 1800 at the initial start, and then gradually lower? When I start my car the RPM is only about 1000, which is too low for completely cold engine. The exhaust smells unusual, like it's running rich. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really disappointed with this car; I paid $6400 for it; the seller told me that it is CLEAN title but after I brought it home, I discovered that it is SALVAGED title, and seller simply erased the words "salvaged" from title paper. Just ridiculous staff.

Last edited by Vadim540i; 06-05-12 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 12:49 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go after the seller for fraud and get your money back? That's not only shady, but criminal.
Old 06-05-12, 01:32 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Can't go after the seller for fraud and get your money back? That's not only shady, but criminal.
Looks like I can't do anything about it.
Old 06-05-12, 01:38 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cats may be removed or gutted that usually causes the smell your describing. And if it's the cats I'm sure you can get a o2 sim that will make the code related to to o2 sensors go away rather than replacing your cats. Did the car pass emissions (if they have it where you are )
Old 06-05-12, 02:30 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flsc300
The cats may be removed or gutted that usually causes the smell your describing. And if it's the cats I'm sure you can get a o2 sim that will make the code related to to o2 sensors go away rather than replacing your cats. Did the car pass emissions (if they have it where you are )
Haven't tried the smog test but I'm sure it will fail. Do you know what may cause such low rpm at initial start up when engine is cold?
Old 06-05-12, 04:57 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had RPM issues with my '99 since I got it. On a cold start its about 1k then drops down to 5-600. When I put the car into gear the RPM's drop even lower, to 2-300. I used to always worry the car was going to stall out on its own at a red-light.
And I also have a intermittent CEL for a bad cat. Although its only 1 code; I'm not sure what all your other codes are for. I've been putting this off as I plan to do a full header back exhaust evenutally.

If you seach my username you'll see a few threads I've started and some suggestions that members have given me (vaccum leak, someone even said its the engine mounts?). Anyway, I've gone to a few mechanics about the issues, but no one can seem to pinpoint the source of the low idle. They all say my engine is running perfectly fine.
Finally one mechanic looked at my RPM's on the cluster and then looked at the digital RPM reading on his OBD2 scanner. Although my cluster said 2-300 the scanner read 6-700 while in gear. We came to the conclusion that my RPM's arent low, and that the cluster needle is simply off.

Its terrible to hear that the seller lied to you like that. I was also told my car was never involved in an accident when I purchased it. CarFax and the title showed clean histories. Unfortunately I've since found out that some of my panels have been repainted. I found this out when I got my front and rear bumpers repainted, and the paint did not match the body on the back even though they used the same paint as the front.
Its a shi**y feeling when you find out your car isint as perfect as you thought. But in your case I'm sure theres some legal action you can take against the seller, since he out-right lied to you..
Old 06-05-12, 05:08 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Since it won't pass smog, wans't there some CA law preventing it's sale? In short, couldn't you reverse the purchase?
Old 06-05-12, 06:27 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I've had RPM issues with my '99 since I got it. On a cold start its about 1k then drops down to 5-600. When I put the car into gear the RPM's drop even lower, to 2-300. I used to always worry the car was going to stall out on its own at a red-light.
And I also have a intermittent CEL for a bad cat. Although its only 1 code; I'm not sure what all your other codes are for. I've been putting this off as I plan to do a full header back exhaust evenutally.

If you seach my username you'll see a few threads I've started and some suggestions that members have given me (vaccum leak, someone even said its the engine mounts?). Anyway, I've gone to a few mechanics about the issues, but no one can seem to pinpoint the source of the low idle. They all say my engine is running perfectly fine.
Finally one mechanic looked at my RPM's on the cluster and then looked at the digital RPM reading on his OBD2 scanner. Although my cluster said 2-300 the scanner read 6-700 while in gear. We came to the conclusion that my RPM's arent low, and that the cluster needle is simply off.

Its terrible to hear that the seller lied to you like that. I was also told my car was never involved in an accident when I purchased it. CarFax and the title showed clean histories. Unfortunately I've since found out that some of my panels have been repainted. I found this out when I got my front and rear bumpers repainted, and the paint did not match the body on the back even though they used the same paint as the front.
Its a shi**y feeling when you find out your car isint as perfect as you thought. But in your case I'm sure theres some legal action you can take against the seller, since he out-right lied to you..
Thanks for all the info . I have the same thing, rpm drop to almost '0' when the car is in 'D.'

I'm going to remove the cats, and inspect them. Maybe even clean them. I found this video on YouTube this morning, maybe it will work...

As far as suing the seller... I did some research, and it looks like at this point I can't do much about it. Also, if I would take this story to court, it won't make sense financially; since the car is worth only about $6k... My plan is to fix everything up, and list it for sale. If I won't get at least $6k for it I will most likely keep it for another year or so.
Old 06-06-12, 11:10 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be worried about pouring paint thinner into the gas tank, seems like that would ruin a lot of other engine components like spark plugs. But I've always wondered about cleaning it. Guess it doesnt hurt to try if your just gonna throw it out and buy a new one anyways..
Let us know how it goes, id be very interested in your results since I'm having the same issues.
Old 06-06-12, 11:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

State of California, when selling a car, it's the seller's responsibility to smog the car and PASSES before selling the car to buyer.

Here's a website to give you an idea what the codes are.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Old 06-14-12, 01:07 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know where can I get replacement catalytic converter? Also, the error code is - catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1; is bank one - driver side or pass side?

Last edited by Vadim540i; 06-14-12 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-15-12, 01:34 AM
baloyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always good and should be a must to bring a friend who know a LOT about cars when purchasing...and man u have a dozen codes crap.. i believe most of them are related to sensors but on the flip side lesson learned...hopefully