Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another AC problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 07:50 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Another AC problem.

I know its been beat to death, and I have searched for a total of 5 hours since yesterday.
I have a 92 SC3.
Here are the symptoms.
AC compressor doesn't kick in. Tested mag clutch.... Good.
Checked wiring buy jumping terminals in fuse panel in place of mag clutch relay. .... when terminals are jumped the mag clutch locks in and compressor works.

So we have eliminated the compressor, mag clutch, and wiring from the relay to the compressor.
Now I have replaced the relay twice. Not the problem.

Code 00 when put into diagnostic mode. Good pressure in the system.

Ok so here's where I stand at the moment. Compressor, Mag Clutch, Relay, Wiring from relay to compressor, no fault codes, system is charged, and no more idea's other than the mag clutch relay isn't getting the message to turn the compressor on. Is there another fuse somewhere I'm missing. Any one else had this issue. If so what did you do to fix it.
Old 06-01-12, 08:39 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

pressure switch good?
Old 06-01-12, 09:27 PM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

You should have a code other than Code 00 for being Normal. If the AC Compressor Clutch isn't engaging, there will be a code. Are you sure the Mag Clutch Relay is working properly? Tested Pin 1, 2, 3, and 5? All in good working signal?

Also check your Climate Control. Could be a possibility.

Unlikely, it would be a Pressure Switch. If the Pressure Switch is bad, it would trigger Code 23.
Old 06-02-12, 09:16 AM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

I get 00 when I run diagnostics in direct sunlight. 21 when in the garage. I have tested continuity from the relay seat in the fuse panel to the compressor. I've also made the compressor kick on buy jumping terminals 1and 2 with a jumper wire then using a fused jumper wire and bridging 3 and 5. basically replacing the relay with hard wires. everything works at that point. But it works all the time. I've replaced the relay twice and with the starter relay. i just learned that trick last night. Car starts but AC doesn't work LOL.

My problem is before the relay. Where ever the signal comes from that makes the relay switch on is where I'm having the issue. I have another climate control computer in the garage but its the original one out of the car and I had the same problem with it installed. If I had a schematic of the ac systems wiring I could check continuity that way and move farther up the harness at least.
Old 06-03-12, 05:13 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

i went through the FSM today and tested the compressor circuit. Either I didn't do any thing right or my entire climate control system doesn't work within the the parameters the fsm says it should.

But apparently the signal that triggers the mag clutch goes from the Climate control unit to the ecu. From the Ecu to the mag clutch relay. From the relay to the mag clutch.
I know my mag clutch and relay are good.

Now the question I'm stuck with is what can be broken or not working properly to keep the climate controller from sending the signal to the ecu.
Old 06-03-12, 07:48 PM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

Could just just be a bad climate control or a short connection from climate control to relay.

Here's a diagram for the Climate Control to Mag Clutch Relay that I have.