Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jzgte bov?

Old 06-01-12, 10:55 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenStoked
like this one?
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/298..._TOYOTA_86.jpg
The extra downpipe is what the wastegate bolts to. You're spot on with the assessment that the exhaust gasses flow through there. It's used so when the wastegate is opened/acuated, the gas flows through it, rather than the turbo.

(sorry if the description is funky, I only just recently got my hands on a t3/t4 manifold, went on my brother's 1j. none of this made sense, until I put my hands on it, and got to actually see/feel how it all works together. )
Cool got it!

Can I just bolt the external wastegate onto the exhaust manifold and leave it like that, or do I need to have exhaust piping continuing through there? I have seen some like this.

I am thinking they all need fabrication work to run back into the exhaust after looking at more photos.

Last edited by Parker Gen; 06-01-12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 11:05 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

many people will have a merged downpipe (where the exhaust gases from the wastegate go back into the exhaust stream), others have the wastegate with a pipe just dumping outside of the engine bay.
Not sure which is better, but you do need to have some sort of piping off the wastegate to get the exhaust out of the engine bay.

(slightly off topic, but that picture makes little sense; it has an internal wastegate on the turbo, and an external wastegate on the side as well.... :/)
Old 06-01-12, 11:07 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Ok thanks.

Yeah I noticed that too on the photo :s
Old 06-01-12, 11:12 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BenStoked
many people will have a merged downpipe (where the exhaust gases from the wastegate go back into the exhaust stream), others have the wastegate with a pipe just dumping outside of the engine bay.
Not sure which is better, but you do need to have some sort of piping off the wastegate to get the exhaust out of the engine bay.

(slightly off topic, but that picture makes little sense; it has an internal wastegate on the turbo, and an external wastegate on the side as well.... :/)
Do you know how big the wastegate connection is or what size wastegate I'd need to connect to the 1JZ 4 bolt ehxuast manifold wastegate area? I have been looking at Precision wastegates to stick with the Precision quality theme and all of their wastegates seem to have only 2 bolt flange. Yet my 1JZ exhaust manifold has a 4 bolt flange for the wastegate. Can i just bolt the 2 bolt wastegate onto the 4 bolt connection on the exhaust?

I read somewhere that whatever spring rate you get on the wastegate can be maximum doubled by the EBC, anything else needs a more resistant spring. I am thinking 12 PSI spring that should get me to maximum 24 PSI turbo pressure if I ever needed it. Only wanting to run around 14 for a while just for weekends.

Last edited by Parker Gen; 06-02-12 at 01:28 AM.