Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz Head removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 12:26 PM
xHypnofish
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz Head removal tips?

Hey everybody, just checking to see if anyone has any tips to removing a 1jz head with the block staying in the car. So far it has been massive PITA.

I am having the most trouble with the intake manifold. The bolts to remove it are extremely hard to get to. And if i want to remove the head with the intake still attached i have to get the wiring harness free. neither of these things are going well for me, so any tips on how to do this would be much appreciated.
Old 05-19-12, 12:39 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the head with turbos and wire harness as one unit then once on a bench remove all the individual components.

2-4 hour job the 1st time then 1-2 hour job any time thereafter.
Old 05-19-12, 01:03 PM
SupraSam
Driver School Candidate

Yikes.. If you are having issues with intake manifold bolts wait until you get into the real ***** of the project..lol

Where in MI are you located?
Old 05-19-12, 01:07 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once pulled the head on a 7m in the car.
never again.

And the 1jz head doesn't look like any more fun...
Old 05-19-12, 04:38 PM
xHypnofish
Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Pull the head with turbos and wire harness as one unit then once on a bench remove all the individual components.

2-4 hour job the 1st time then 1-2 hour job any time thereafter.
wiring harness is attached to the firewall and runs down between the runner of the intake to everything. I don't thinks its possible to remove the head with it still 'attached' to the intake like it is.

Originally Posted by SupraSam
Yikes.. If you are having issues with intake manifold bolts wait until you get into the real ***** of the project..lol

Where in MI are you located?
this is the real part of the project, everything else is free, new head is ready to go on minus cams, just cant get to the bolts very easy.
also I'm near Flint
Old 05-19-12, 05:12 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=xHypnofish;7243416]wiring harness is attached to the firewall and runs down between the runner of the intake to everything. I don't thinks its possible to remove the head with it still 'attached' to the intake like it is.

Yea I have done this many times, All you do is undo the 2 bolts holding the wire loom boot in the firewall on the pass side and unplug the connectors from the ecu etc and then pull them through the fire wall This way makes it so easy!
Old 05-19-12, 05:16 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

The harness for a 1jz runs inside the bend in the plenum and all the Knock sensor, Oil pressure steering sensors,igniter well you get the idea all run through the plenum so to answer your ? I do it all the time and I'm sure others do as well who are extremely familiar, but would not recommend if your not pretty mechanically inclined as there is alot of sensor wires ground straps oil dipstick tubes, auto dipstick, support brackets, fuel lines, IAC lines so forth and so forth.
Not trying to put you down but it definetly takes time and patience, then you have cam removal and tensioner removal,gears, backplate. etc. etc.

In short its a -itch for a new guy.

You could pull it through the firewall but that presents a few challenges as well, Tranny sensors, knock sensors and lots of other.

GL. Will help u however I can though.

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 05-19-12 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 09:33 PM
xHypnofish
Driver

[quote=xspsi6;7243472]
Originally Posted by xHypnofish
wiring harness is attached to the firewall and runs down between the runner of the intake to everything. I don't thinks its possible to remove the head with it still 'attached' to the intake like it is.

Yea I have done this many times, All you do is undo the 2 bolts holding the wire loom boot in the firewall on the pass side and unplug the connectors from the ecu etc and then pull them through the fire wall This way makes it so easy!
Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
The harness for a 1jz runs inside the bend in the plenum and all the Knock sensor, Oil pressure steering sensors,igniter well you get the idea all run through the plenum so to answer your ? I do it all the time and I'm sure others do as well who are extremely familiar, but would not recommend if your not pretty mechanically inclined as there is alot of sensor wires ground straps oil dipstick tubes, auto dipstick, support brackets, fuel lines, IAC lines so forth and so forth.
Not trying to put you down but it definetly takes time and patience, then you have cam removal and tensioner removal,gears, backplate. etc. etc.

In short its a -itch for a new guy.

You could pull it through the firewall but that presents a few challenges as well, Tranny sensors, knock sensors and lots of other.

GL. Will help u however I can though.
Like I said, I beleive everything is free except for the wiring harness. I'm sure there will be a few things I didn't notice when we go to remove the head that will be dealt with at that time.

So, I guess from what you guys are saying is that the harness can be pulled through the firewall and pulled through the intake runners to be free of the intake, minus ground straps and brackets,