Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boost Leak, IACV and Intake Manifold

Old 05-15-12, 09:35 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boost Leak, IACV and Intake Manifold

My IACV has hairline cracks from age and when I pressurized the system it is leaking. The car has always had a hesitsation problem, which I assume is a result of this problem. I've searched and haven't seen anyone with this issue. Seeing how my car is a dedicated track car I really don't care about the hesitation or idle too much, but I don't want boost leaks obviously.

I'm planing on gluing the plastic part to seal it with something of the like of fiberglass resin. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Also my intake manifold is leaking at the lower runners. I put as new gasket and it still leaks. Should I use FIPG and the stock gasket, just FIPG gasket, or try another new oem gasket.

The car hits 18lbs fine, but obviously it will perform better with no boost leaks. It leaks all air out within 5 seconds of 25lb pressure test.

Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 10:09 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do a new oem gasket on the lower with copper gasket spray along with replacing the IACV. make sure you properly torque the manifold down as well.
Old 05-15-12, 10:18 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Thanks, I'll try the copper spray and a new oem gasket. I didn't torque in sequence or to spec so that may be another reason for the leaking. Maybe I'll be able to find a good used IACV, for cheap. I don't want to pay $300 for a new one, when the car hardly ever sees below 4,000 rpm, lol.
Originally Posted by Biggu
do a new oem gasket on the lower with copper gasket spray along with replacing the IACV. make sure you properly torque the manifold down as well.
Old 05-15-12, 11:11 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

If it's a track car just make a block off plate for the iacv. One less thing in the way
Old 05-15-12, 01:28 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

I got the copper spray and put the new gasket on. The old gasket, prior to the new one had kind of melted on the lower runners and intake manifold, I'm thinking that's what was causing the leak. I scraped off all the material and sprayed 3 coats of copper sealant.

Originally Posted by Vrank
If it's a track car just make a block off plate for the iacv. One less thing in the way
Good idea, I'm sure it's not working as it is. So not having one at all can't be that much worse. I have no A/C, progressive powersteering, or electronics that will mess with the idle anyways. I'll go cut one out real quick, and take it for a drive.