Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 SC300 5 speed na-t build Help Needed Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 02:45 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 SC300 5 speed na-t build Help Needed Please!

Hello all! I decided it was finally time to sign up on here after about a year of using the site and forums to help me with many projects and info I have seeked about my car since I purchased her last spring. So for all the help you guys and this site have already given me I thank you.

Now for as to why I am starting this thread. I have a 1992 SC300 factory 5 speed. I bought it off a customer at my work last spring when he was tight on money for 2800.00

Since I have purchased it I have replaced the water pump, timing belt, oil pump, changed the head gasket to the 2.5mm supra head gasket. I also replaced the clutch with a stage 2 exedy. I did all these things for maintenance and also in preparation of adding a turbo or twins down the road.

Well over the past month or so I have been slowly acquiring items needed for my single turbo build... I actually had th car apart for about 2 weeks with but the manifold and downpipe installed, thinking I would have it together faster than what actually ended up happening...long story short I ended up having to uninstall the manifold and downpipe and put the stick parts back on so I could drive to work... The chicky was tired of me driving her car why mine just sat in the front yard waiting for parts... Lol

So what I have so far is these things:

T3/T4 Turbo manifold, downpipe, and wastegate dump tube and turbo intake pipe all from cxracing
T61 Turbo from a friend with no shaft play whatsoever he just went bigger.
50mm wastegate with 12 and 3 psi springs.
HKS SSQV3 blow off valve
Bar and plate intercooler and various piping including a bov flange to pipe the intercooler.
Oil feed and return kit with a sandwich plate adapter for my oil feed.
Glowshift 0-35 psi7 color boost gauge
Things I know I need eventually:

Greddy emanage piggyback
Higher cc injectors not sure which kind
Fuel pump upgrade and I'm pretty sure I gotta replace my fpr as well with an adjustable one.
Screw in type o2 sensors

So now my questions:

Can I run my current setup without upgraded injectors, fuel pump and not having the greddy emanage? Say if I had my 3 psi spring in my wastegate so I'm not running a whole lot of boost? I know that my 2jzge ECM isn't programmable or chippable so I know I need to either switch to a Tt supra ECM or use a piggyback to tune my car correct? Would my factory ECM be able to adjust the fuel and air ratios needed? Or am I setting myself up for disaster by setting it up with all the stuff I needed to really do it right? I have read a few threads here and there about people being ok on factory settings and tuning with low boost but I'm scared to mess something up...

Next question is on my o2 sensors. I need to replace my factory bolt on type with the screw in type, do I have to buy the Bosch universals or could I get a few at the junk yard that are 1 wire and the screw in type? Would that work? If so or if not anyone that could provide me with which universal one to get or what kinds of cars would have a compatible screw in type sensor at the junk yard? Also, my down pipe has 3 bungs for sensors, so I don't have to splice both my o2 sensor wires together and I know the extra third one is for a wideband sensor I I ever get one down the road.

Okay that's what I got so far... I am sure I will think of more questions and things I left out but it was definitely time to hop I here as a member finally to get the final few questions and what not I have answered. Thanks in advance for even just reading this book of a post and a very special thanks to those of you who have answers and advice for me.

I will take a few pics of the pile of stuff I got going and also of the car so you guys have something to look at and gt them up here soon.
Old 04-25-12, 03:20 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I run my current setup without upgraded injectors? fuel pump and not having the greddy emanage? No

O2 sensors depend on what ecu you are running. there are 2 types of O2 sensors so research them (i'm not talking about the newer type ones)
I'm not sure about the NA-T crowd, but your setup sound like either emanage or a standalone.
just my .02
Old 04-25-12, 03:37 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

why would u even want to add all that extra weight if you only want 3psi? waste of time and money if thats all you plan to do....

if you are asking if it is okay to drive with all that installed with stock fuel and take it somewhere to get the e-manage and tuned then yes you should be okay just don't get on it or let it get in boost while u drive to wherever you are going.

its only a T61 Turbo it wont flow that much so stock fuel should handle ok for now. i would upgrade to a walbro pump and leave the injectors alone and stay under 10psi
Old 04-25-12, 09:16 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Thanks for the quick responses guys! The question about running at 3 psi was because I am jut impatient and wanna get all the things I have purchased installed... I was just asking if I could get away with installing everything minus what I don't have yet and be able to drive the car until I can afford the fuel pump, injectors, and fuel management unit. So thanks for letting me know that really isn't possible minus maybe being able to nurse it in to a tuning shop to have it tuned... I originally had a t70 turbo but it was too big to fit without being clocked with the compressor housing facing up... So I traded it for the smaller turbo...you say the turbo won't flow much... So stock injectors will be sufficient? Any idea on the horsepower gain possibility I might be able to get with the t61? I know there are many factors besides just the turbo but by hearing it won't flow much makes me feel like the HP gain will be minimal... I hope this isn't the case. ECM I will be running will be my factory 2jzge with a greddy emanage eventually as the emanage units aren't too expensive and seem to be a common choice for comparable setups...so anyone that can comment on which o2 sensors I need? Thanks again for the responses guys!
Old 04-25-12, 09:48 PM
EliteICind
Rookie

WHOA?! Yall are kind!
Old 04-25-12, 09:56 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Okay update:

Just talked to my buddy to confirm the turbo size and he said it is a t3/t4 trim 57, he also has a t61 but the exhaust side doesn't match up with my downpipe without a bracket adapter... So please disregard t61 info from earlier the turbines a trim 57 ... So ya anybody's what I can expect to gain from this turbo? Someday I will get a t67 or something more suitable for my engine but for what i paid for the turbo I can't complain... (50 bucks)
Lol
Old 04-26-12, 11:10 AM
SupraDremr
Driver

Anyone else with some input?
Old 04-26-12, 02:04 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your going to boost you car I would honestly just wait till you have everything to install it. What is your hp goals? Also who is going to tune the car. If your not going to do it I would see what tuning shop is local to you and see what they are good at tuning. You will need to get a wideband as well to check your a/f. Going boost will add up real quick trust me haha. But there are alot of good information on the forums to get you started on what you need. I would def upgrade the fuel pump and injectors. Its make no sense to boost on stock stuff like that. Also there is no such thing as just wanting only XXX amount of hp. You will get tired of that hp and is going to want more. Some people say its best to overbuild your motor to underbuild it. I would def take your time and dont rush into this. Good luck and happy boosting.
Old 04-26-12, 06:52 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

tjmhills - Thanks for the great reply! As far as my HP goals I would like to be somewhere around 450-500 eventually when all is said and done... I know my current turbo might not be able to boost my hp that much but like I said thats down the road... The car is and will continue to be my DD so anywhere above 350 is going to be insane really. As far as tuning goes...depending on what all needs to be done I might venture into it with a few friends and some beers one weekend... The greddy emanage has a tuning cable that goes from the emanage to a computer and also has the tuning software to adjust the settings...There are a few shops here in town that do tuning...haven't been to or really done any research on any of them persay...One is a Acura/Honda Tuning shop and the other for sure but the others I am not positive on... Anyone on here from the Seattle/Tacoma area that can recommend a good tuning shop for my sc? Wideband is on my list of things to get but wasn't sure is was definitely needed...Guess it is...it's amazing how my list of parts keeps growing...every time I think I am close to having it all I learn of something new I never knew I needed...
Old 04-26-12, 07:44 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running a peak of 4.5psi on stock fuel and a billet 6265 and my injectors are at 95% injector duty. I am currently running complete stock fuel to the pump until I decide to install my 1100's and pump. 3 psi should be definitely doable until you get enough money to complete the fuel system and turn it up. Its definitely no slouch either at this small bit of psi its a lot of fun I can't wait to run more!
Old 04-26-12, 08:04 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Emanage works great with map based car, and you must really find someone that knows what they are doing or you will be looking for another shortblock very shortly.

Map ecu or AEM FIC gets my vote.

With the stock Injectors and fuel pump you don't have room for error atleast not on the Emanage.

Rushing trying to finish the car will end up costing you more.

If this is your DD , it will be down more you were expecting ..been down that road before.

When going FI , these are the main things you don't wanna address and not cheap out on : Injectors, fuel pump, wastegate and ECU.

Hope you make the right decision!

gl.
Old 04-26-12, 08:48 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SupraDremr

Since I have purchased it I have replaced the water pump, timing belt, oil pump, changed the head gasket to the 2.5mm supra head gasket.

Just so you know, the stock supra tt head gasket is 1.3mm and it brings the 2jzge down to a good compression ratio for boosting(I dont have the numbers off the top of my head). the 2.5mm will bring the compression ratio down a bit more and you arent going to make as much power at the same psi as with the 1.3mm.
Old 05-01-12, 08:39 AM
SupraDremr
Driver

hipsi-
I'm running a peak of 4.5psi on stock fuel and a billet 6265 and my injectors are at 95% injector duty. I am currently running complete stock fuel to the pump until I decide to install my 1100's and pump. 3 psi should be definitely doable until you get enough money to complete the fuel system and turn it up. Its definitely no slouch either at this small bit of psi its a lot of fun I can't wait to run more!

This is kinda the reason why I asked about running low boost with stock fuel pump, injectors, and no fuel management system...just bolt on and drive...Sounds like you are having success doing just that... Was any tuning needed after your install? Or did you just put the turbo on and start her up? How are you maintaing your boost at 4 also? I have a 3 psi wastegate spring I was going to use...

I find it funny how there are people that say it cannot be done and then people like you hipsi that are making it work...

Quicksc4- so are you advising against the greddy emanage? Is there an easier solution for a piggy back or similar solution for my sc300? Looks like the AEM FIC units start at about 300... Any additional info on the aems? Like what model would work with my car? I'm ODB1 ...1992 the few I have clicked on so far have been for odb2. What is a map ecu?

Anyone know which kind of o2 sensors I need to order for my downpipe? I need screw in type and my factory ones in my factory manifold are the bolt on type...

Last edited by SupraDremr; 05-01-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-01-12, 09:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Running low boost is not a bad way to iron out alot of the issues, but you will be doing alot of things twice when raising the boost.
the least fun thing is when initially installing a 3-4 psi spring in the wastegate, when you want more boost, you have to change it out because your max with a controller will only be like double the wastegate spring, and once you install the manifold, its a pain to change that spring out. I prefer to install at least a 8 psi spring spring that will give you more headroom for the future the first time around. I ran 9 psi on the stock injectors with a walboro pump and a safc maxxed out. ran decent i guess.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-01-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-01-12, 07:10 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Thanks Ali SC3- So the Safc? do you still have and use your SAFC unit? I am guessing it had to be maxxed out because of the stock injectors? Seems to be about the same price area as the emanage...and the emanage doesn't seem to be a popular choice on here...truth is I didnt know I had so many choices for piggy back units...The spring that came with my wastegate is a 12 psi spring and I also ordered a 3.63 psi spring because I was planning on running the setup with stock injectors, fuel pump and no piggy back...That was also when I had my car torn apart thinking I was gonna get it all installed in a weekend...lol ended up putting it all back to stock...So I am definitely waiting until I have what I need to get her up and running the same day/weekend as I tear her apart again. Most likely I will use my 12 psi spring when I do the install, or maybe use the 3.63 for a few weeks until I get it running good and then up the spring to the 12...I am gonna need a boost controller too...lol

Still noone with help on what o2 sensors I need ?

Quick Reply: 1992 SC300 5 speed na-t build Help Needed Please!