Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 01:33 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I will try to keep a little list of what I've had to spend, but at this point the total cost to do the swap doesn't seem like it will be all that cheaper than a GETRAG. The advantage for me however is replacement trans are a dime a dozen. If this trans breaks, $500-700 for another one, vs. 3-4k for GETRAG.
Old 11-28-12, 02:13 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Is this from personal experience or hear say on the internet? Nissan fixed this problem with the CD009 trans update... read the thread. I know of a handful of local 350Z turbo owners that have had no problems with their trans for years running over 500whp daily.
Actually fixed after the original CD001's.The CD009'S were just the smoothest and last revision. Like I said before... they handle quadruple digits with just a clutch upgrade.
Old 11-29-12, 08:36 AM
TeamPealou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
How did you come up with that part number? In that link it seems to fall under Toyota Truck?
This is the Yoke I order when I make drive shafts for people running this transmission. I've made three of them so far all with good results.

When ordering a yoke you don't go by what year make and model, you go by the physical dimensionality of the yoke itself. it just so happens that this particular yoke also fits a Toyota product. I can also confirm that the Titan 4x2 is the proper one as well, but when you go to the Drive shaft store, this is exactly what they are going to order. I just thought I would save you the time and money.
Old 11-29-12, 08:47 AM
TeamPealou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 607is
So I have read through this post and from what I can tell one major thing that no one is talking about would be the clutch type to use. If you are using a 1j or 2j you would be forced to use a w58/w55 pressure plate due to it being push type release. So this would limit your selection as R154/V160 both use pull type. Southbend clutch will make any clutch disk for you ie( w58 dimensions with nissan splines) So easy solution to this would be as follows:

1. cd009 trans
2. driveshaft with 4x2 titan slip yoke with 1350 joints
3. 2jzge flywheel
4, w58/w55 pressure plate
5. Southbend clutch disk
6. Shifter relocation or custom bracket
7. Milling of the bellhousing (Only other option would be to space flywheel itself out with a spacer) scary thought?

Correct me if im wrong but I think this is all you would need tentatively for doing a 2j or 1j swap

This would work, however even if you mill the bell housing down 1/2" you will just bearly touch the input shaft onto the splines of the clutch disk. Leaving just enough engagement for you to think that its going to work until you drive down the street for the first time and destroy your clutch disk/input shaft. And just like what your girlfriend wants, you needed a little more engagement!!

I'm not sure but if what Halon say's is right I think this guy uses a custom flywheel and whatever custom clutch to get it all this to work..
Old 11-29-12, 01:53 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TeamPealou
This is the Yoke I order when I make drive shafts for people running this transmission. I've made three of them so far all with good results.

When ordering a yoke you don't go by what year make and model, you go by the physical dimensionality of the yoke itself. it just so happens that this particular yoke also fits a Toyota product. I can also confirm that the Titan 4x2 is the proper one as well, but when you go to the Drive shaft store, this is exactly what they are going to order. I just thought I would save you the time and money.
Thank you for the input!

I have a buddy who may have a spare Nissan Titan driveshaft so I will probably just see if he can give me that. Then I suppose just bring that, along with my current driveshaft, and I assume the would just modify my stock driveshaft with the yoke off the Titan one, and be good to go...
Old 11-29-12, 01:55 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

And just like what your girlfriend wants, you needed a little more engagement!!
I like my wording better (penetrate vs. engagement) lolz
Old 11-29-12, 02:02 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This would work, however even if you mill the bell housing down 1/2" you will just bearly touch the input shaft onto the splines of the clutch disk. Leaving just enough engagement for you to think that its going to work until you drive down the street for the first time and destroy your clutch disk/input shaft. And just like what your girlfriend wants, you needed a little more engagement!!

I'm not sure but if what Halon say's is right I think this guy uses a custom flywheel and whatever custom clutch to get it all this to work..
the bellhousing actually needs to be milled down 5/8" and the throw out bearing needs a 1/2" spacer to engage and disengage properly. there are other ways to do it but a custom flywheel seems more expensive than a mill down bellhousing and taller TOB.

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...s14-build.html

and the thread creaters friends driving with the setup with ITB's. it works.

Last edited by iridebmx; 11-29-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 06:29 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Picked this up today. 2006 350z CD009 trans w/ 47k miles. $625 + $75 core charge.

Old 12-03-12, 05:55 AM
TeamPealou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iridebmx
the bellhousing actually needs to be milled down 5/8" and the throw out bearing needs a 1/2" spacer to engage and disengage properly. there are other ways to do it but a custom flywheel seems more expensive than a mill down bellhousing and taller TOB.

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...s14-build.html

and the thread creaters friends driving with the setup with ITB's. it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrLjO...eature=related

No offense to you or any disrespect intended what so ever but, with talking about the 1UZ swap and the 2JZ to 350Z trans swaps I don't fully think you know what you're talking about.

IT WILL NOT WORK FOR THIS SWAP! No offense or any disrespect to you or anyone on here, I just don't want anyone to think they can through the wrong parts together and magically have a running 2JZ/350Z swap, it will not work.

Last edited by TeamPealou; 01-15-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 05:56 AM
TeamPealou
Driver School Candidate

Also a buddy of mine here in Harlem GA has a 92' SC and he finally just bit the bullet and bought one of those swaps off of ebay, and I will say that the flywheel is real thick! I'll see if I can get him to snap some pics of it since the face on my phone is destroyed, and I can't do anything other than receive calls...

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-06-12, 09:40 AM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Good to know the difference for the 2jz.but has anybody figured out the right parts for the 2jz?
Old 12-06-12, 10:18 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense to you or any disrespect intended what so ever but, with talking about the 1UZ swap and the 2JZ to 350Z trans swaps I don't fully think you know what you're talking about.
None taken. I personally never said anything about the 2jz swap because I know nothing about it other than the conversion plate is on ebay.

My whole thing was about the 1uz with the z33 vq35hr transmission after sc4doubleo said he successfully did the swap and had made a thread about it; I went and bought a transmission but have since put it on hold because I am currently making my car pretty first . Never realized it sounded like I was talking about about 2jz with a z33 trans. Thanks for clearing it up!
Old 12-23-12, 12:21 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed....looking forward to seeing a successful 2JZ/350Z setup together....I'm scared to turn my boost up and pop another W58...
Old 12-23-12, 01:42 PM
Sinistr
Rookie

Subscribed. Will follow.
Old 12-24-12, 03:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Sounds like the custom flywheel is the way to go on the JZ motors

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?