Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 04:59 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Music off yes you can hear it, but I mean you can hear the engine too. It's there, but not a big, especially when you know it's perfectly fine.
Old 11-18-15, 08:15 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it definitely is hearable from inside the car, sometime its louder sometimes its quieter, it seems if my car is facing down hill then it is quieter or non existent, sitting up hill is louder, sitting on flat ground its just there and varies between those two..

as soon as you clutch in the noise goes away though. or if your rpms get above ~2000 its quiet again too.
Old 11-19-15, 06:25 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's all dependent on how light your flywheel is. I have a 9 lb Tilton flywheel and 6.5" mini twin disc clutch on my 350Z. The vibration is present until ~4100 RPM. As someone mentioned, it's a side effect of having nice loose gear lash to make modern gearboxes more "driver friendly." Totally normal. Annoying. Only fix is to have a heavy flywheel. The heavier the flywheel, the better it dampens the firing pulses on the motor and the less the input shaft clanks.
Old 11-19-15, 07:22 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

thanks for giving us a warm and fuzzy to accept the noise intimazy, still doesn't mean that i like it

i may give heavier gear oil a shot, redline mt90 in there right now, heavier oil could quiet the clanking a bit at the expense of efficiency and at this point i'd be ok with that.
Old 11-19-15, 11:13 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by estomax
thanks for giving us a warm and fuzzy to accept the noise intimazy, still doesn't mean that i like it

i may give heavier gear oil a shot, redline mt90 in there right now, heavier oil could quiet the clanking a bit at the expense of efficiency and at this point i'd be ok with that.
HAHAHAHA

Get a flywheel with a high MOI and I can promise it will go away. Nissan factory flywheel exceeds 30lbs for a reason. It's just a noisy gearbox.

I have MT90 in mine but I can't say it really did much, honestly.
Old 11-19-15, 12:34 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Running MT85 in mine.
Old 11-20-15, 03:57 AM
SERIALN9NE
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. This too. The lighter the flywheel, the louder or more pronounced the rattle. Even my R154 was super loud with an ORC super single (13lbs total or so) and my buddy has EXEDY twin (20lbs total) on his getrag and is louder than my HKS GD PRO which is approx 35lbs

SERIALNINE sedankings.
Old 12-23-15, 05:36 PM
sebasc300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it looks like we finally have what appears to be a legit shifter option for the CD.

"This is a internal forward mount shifter for the 350 and 370z cd009 transmission. This allows the transmission to be used in custom applications that needs the shifter further forward than the stock perch mount shifter allows. This shifter puts the shifter at 26 5/8" back from the face of the bell housing. I can make shifters that range from 25" and back if you need a custom length please send me message. This shifter does not come with a shift lever since this is usually personal taste it uses a tremec bolt pattern for the shift lever so there are hundreds of choices"

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252123797899

Last edited by sebasc300; 12-23-15 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-24-15, 09:43 AM
scblackout
Pole Position

Has anyone seen this setup?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350z-Cd009-6...QAAOSw14xWHSgN
Old 12-24-15, 10:05 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

that is what sebas posted above dude.

that looks very interesting, i would like to try it but my rigged setup works ok right now so hard to justify. Halon are you gonna get one? the other problem with that is that the ideal location is about 29 inches, so this puts it a bit too far forward..
Attachment 493375

i'd like to see a review before i jump on it.

regarding rattle from trans, my flywheel is a collins special 3 piece so getting it to weight 30 lbs is gonna be tricky gonna experiment 50/50 mt90/75w140 NS this weekend..

Marko

Last edited by estomax; 12-24-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-24-15, 10:46 AM
scblackout
Pole Position

@estomax
Sorry, did not see the link at the bottom of his post. I was wrongly assuming he was referring to another option. Still glad to see a possible solution.

*just noticed I'm not the only wa based sc on here. Feels quite lonely up in the pnw when it comes to the sc chassis.
Old 12-24-15, 11:39 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scblackout
@estomax
Sorry, did not see the link at the bottom of his post. I was wrongly assuming he was referring to another option. Still glad to see a possible solution.

*just noticed I'm not the only wa based sc on here. Feels quite lonely up in the pnw when it comes to the sc chassis.
There's a few members up there, I may be moving back this summer, I was born and raised in Woodinville/Redmond. Miss the PNW a ton! SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 12-18-16, 06:34 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Thread revival time. I'm strongly considering performing this swap on my GS400 this coming summer, given that my auto box started slipping at takeoff today. I'm hoping that it's just because the fluid is slightly low but I suspect it's been like that since I dropped the pan back in August, and didn't have any trouble until today.

Halon, if you're still around, have you had any issues with the flywheel adapter coming loose? There was some concern about that in the middle pages, but I think that's the route I'd like to take, assuming it's reliable.

Basically, with the Collins bellhousing and throwout bearing adapters, the entire setup can be lifted out of a 350z and installed, yes? Attach the flywheel and pressure plate, shift fork, etc, and let 'er rip. The only custom work that would need to be done after that is driveshaft and transmission mount/bracket, and the shifter, which would be unique to my interior.

The ECU situation was recently solved by a guy in Russia. He's famous for disabling the immobilizers, and he now sells a 1UZ-VVTi ECU with the transmission controller bypassed. Plug-n-play.

Yes, this'll be more expensive and time consuming than just replacing the A650e but if the transmission does have to come out, might as well make the time and effort worth it.
Old 12-18-16, 07:07 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I'm still here. never had an issue with the flywheel adapter. I'm in the middle of the new a340 version of his kit. just progressing very slow with our two little boys requiring constant attentt.
Old 02-12-18, 05:26 PM
jeffy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this seems to be a come back once a year type of thing...sooooo......eicca if you are still here (or anybody else that might know for that matter) can anyone provide a link to more info on the russian ecu fella? ive been thinking about this swap and trying to put some price comparos together for a couple future options for my car (99 gs400) and one of the things about cd009/1uz vvti that i keep ending up with fuzz on is the ecu and trans issues and how to do the workarounds.

thanks for any help

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?