Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 01:54 PM
drifter x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
You used the collins kit I assume. If you use the Maverick kit you have to shave the bellhousing. I think the older Collins kits are the same way. I am using a Maverick kit for mine because I figure the closer to the engine the transmission is the less 'massaging' of the trans tunnel I will have to do in my E36. I think my tunnel is even smaller than the SC!

There is a guy on SF working on a really slick adapter to use a W58 bellhousing on a CD009, which would be amazing!
that would make life so much easier lol
Old 05-11-15, 03:27 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
You used the collins kit I assume. If you use the Maverick kit you have to shave the bellhousing. I think the older Collins kits are the same way. I am using a Maverick kit for mine because I figure the closer to the engine the transmission is the less 'massaging' of the trans tunnel I will have to do in my E36. I think my tunnel is even smaller than the SC!

There is a guy on SF working on a really slick adapter to use a W58 bellhousing on a CD009, which would be amazing!
Yeah I have the Collin's kit. And yes any means to make this trans less of a pig would be great. Getting it in and out is not fun.
Old 05-11-15, 05:55 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

So only the 2JZ talk is whats going on in this thread at this point?
Old 05-11-15, 06:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I thought the v8 was already working on a few v8 swaps, and we were working on shifter shortening now.
seems like there is a little less info on the 2jz side as to extra added length, I was looking for more info myself.

I picked up a cdoo1 trans to experiment with. I took the whole tail section apart and played around with different ideas, and it seems like the external mods to keep the 350z shifter on top like already shown are the best way to keep the 350z shifter. I personally am going to see if I can convert it to the xterra style, I understand someone said the whole tailhousing wouldn't fit but that doesn't mean I can't transplant some of the xterra stuff onto the 350z trans, it seems like I will have to cut the main shift rod but if it works that would be a nice solution, will keep you updated.

I ordered the "striking arm" part 32844 for a 2006 xterra 6spd (same for 2wd and 4x4, also both have same shifter).
http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra-...4_667_683.html
if I can fit it on the 350z trans shift rod correctly and it looks like it will work, then I will cut the shift rod and make a shifter housing and use the older style shifter like the xterra uses, will keep everyone posted
Old 05-11-15, 06:47 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

I am just wishing the information was compiled and easily accessible, there are things I am really unsure of, like the notching for the starter, or the knifing of the starter ring gear.

this isnt my first major work on a car, but it is my first real conversion

I am thinking I can put together a DIY after I have done everything. not sure if that can be a separate topic or not..
Old 05-11-15, 06:50 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start a separate topic once you have compiled the info and label it DIY: 1UZ 350z transmission swap or something, shuffling through 33 pages is going to be hell for noobs. i wrote an little pdf for the 1/2jz swap with the collins kit but i dont think i ever made a new thread because it is not properly solved yet.

good on you Ali on chasing the issue some more. the welded external contraption i made is merely OK. there is a better solution out there i am positive.

im keeping an eye out for a 2wd xterra transmission for a decent price and i might just try putting that in to see, though the shifter sounds like it might be too far forward so i am not so sure now.
Old 05-11-15, 07:28 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I spoke to Collins on the phone he mentioned a prototype shifter in the works but it was far from completion to hopefully resolve the shifter placement issues with the swap. If someone could release a bolt in plug and play solution that would put the shifter at appx 30" I would do the swap in a heart beat.
Old 05-11-15, 07:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Psuedo, I hear what you are saying. Its probably time we have 2 threads one for the 1uz to 350z and one for JZ to 350z so the info is easier to find the swap specific stuff that works.

Estomax, i feel the same way it was difficult to comb though 30 pages, but I don't want to split this thread though because it seems like alot of the problems are shared problems in general with the 350z setup and people are trying to figure them out here. Hopefully the people to figure it out and install it will post a part list and more info into those swap specific threads.

I am still in the experimenting stage with the shifter haven't even gotten to what conversion parts I need a thread with that stuff would definitely be helpful and you can even quote stuff from here.

collins is working on it, that is interesting. what I figure though is that you don't need the shifter at 30" with the setup I am working on because it uses a angled shifter, so the proper placement would be like that of the original 92-94 sc300 which has a bent shifter, both the xterra and 240 shifter I am probably going to use have that bend in it. reason why I mention is because the back of the inspection cover isn't 30", its really more like 28, but then I realized with the shifter that goes along with that another 2" is in the bend, so I think it might work pretty well, will see if I can even get that part it said it was not in stock, hopefully some warehouse somewhere has it so I don't have to buy an xterra trans.

I drove a 6 speed xterra once, the shifting was smooth as butter, but the throws were long, I think getting rid of that huge shifter probably does the trick.
Old 05-12-15, 06:05 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

For those of you wishing for more info, I thought I shared a large amount of information and pictures of my swap. You have a lot more documentation than I did when I did the swap. Pretty sure I even put together a parts list with pics and prices of most everything I bought as well.
Old 05-12-15, 08:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

found the thread they were referring to with the w58 bellhousing, looks like it will require some welding as he has clearly but the 350z bellhousing in half.
more interesting though he is tackling the same shifter setup we are, but using some sort of shifter housing I can't figure out.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...roup-buy/page2
I was going to use the xterra one but this one looks pretty nice, wonder if its the kind with the hole on the bottom of the shifter like 350z or the ball type like the xterra which you need to use that striking arm.
posted a question in there lets see if they will tell us what shifter housing it is.

anyone know how to do a custom reverse lockout if I use a 5 speed shifter? I wonder if it is that important on a 6 speed its not like you can really hit it going from 5th to 6th.
I think a 240sc whole shifter base and plate might fit with minimal modifications, if I use the xterra base that would work but the xterra shifter is like a mile high, and that has the reverse so if I chop that up I am not sure it will work still, always something to figure out, might just forget about reverse lockout for now.
Old 05-12-15, 10:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

throwing up some pics for inspiration. waiting on the xterra striking arm that will replace the cast iron shifter arm shown here on the main shift rod. if it fits on and works right I will have to cut the 350z main shift rod, as you can see the 350z shift rod goes through that piece for the external linkage, but the xterra on ends right at that cast iron shifter arm.

tail housing pulled off to expose main rod (need to do this to be able to hammer out the rolling pin shifting arm on)

close up of the shifter arm on the 350z.
notice how it extends down below the rod, this part is there because 2 pins in the tail housing keep it centered so the shifter has resistance left to right. best part is its the same setup as an Xterra, but the arm looks a little different.

other side, you can see the raised part that has a "pin" holding it in place, this has to be tapped out to remove this part. the xterra one will have to have a new hole drilled and a pin inserted at the correct angle, will cover this when I get the arm in.

Don't go cutting your transmission yet I haven't verified its going to work yet still in the prototype phase.
This CD0001 only cost me $80 (guy drove a hard bargain for a worthless transmission), so I don't mind hacking it up.
had slight grind in 2nd and 3rd snchro but only had 80k on it, what a shame lol, will make a good donor test trans and then I will grab a cd009 later most likely.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-12-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 02:13 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

neat. i think if you can figure out how the xterra does reverse lockout that will be the trick, because it will be very similar. the 350z stock configuration has the lockout done externally with a blocking plate as you might already know and a spring that u have to engage to get the shifter below the plate. might be a similar solution with the xterra, though i am not sure how the arm would be able to be moved down for it..
Old 05-13-15, 08:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

on the xterra, the arm can't move down like the remote, so what they do is they keep the same base plate with the revers lockout as the 350z, and the put the lockout pin on the shifter like before, but instead of the spring being under the ball, the spring is actually on the top of the shifter so it allows only the top half of the shifter to move down.

so on a 350z shifter, when you push down the whole shifter moves down letting the pin go past reverse lockout.
notice the spring sits at the very bottom

on an xterra shifter, the bottom stays in place, and the whole top half of the shifter moves down which lets the pin go past the reverse lockout in the similar way.
Notice the spring is at the top and they have similar reverse lockout plates.

you can see the base plate for the xterra is the same 3 bolt pattern as a 350z accepting the lockout plate, but seems to have a larger opening on the bottom for the Xterra shifter type.

I didnt want to do the Xterra shifter then cause its really really long, so if you need the whole shifter to keep reverse lockout, well that not going to work unless there is a way I can hack it up and modify it.

for now I am not worrying about the reverse lockout and using a regular nissan 5 speed shifter to see if this even works at that basic level, I am not worried about hitting reverse from 5th you really have to push far over to the right for reverse don't think its going to be going in there accidentally all the time. if the shifter all works except for reverse lockout, I will then try and use the xterra base and modifying the shifter, or maybe I can just put a universal type 6 speed lockout on there, not sure how the supra one works but probably come up with something.

these 2 pictures show alot of info about the setups, good to look at side by side.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-13-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 01:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

estomax, you have a JZ setup so you can probably help me out. where it the back of the inspection cover when installed, is that too far forward? now im thinking it might be coming out of the ahtray flip thing in front of the shifter and I need something a little longer.
Old 05-15-15, 10:26 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

so I concluded that doing the xterra shifter arm out of the inspectoin cover would work in a mk3, but the shifter would need a swan bend for a sc300 and I dont want to do all that to use a swan bend shifter, so I am looking into other routes to keep the xternal one like estomax did with possibly different linkage. I dunno why the 350z trans has to be either too long or too short its pretty annoying I am really thinking of chopping up the whole tailhousing and rewelding it to to work but that wont be a bolt on solution.

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?