Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What fuel management??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 09:48 AM
invasion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What fuel management??

Ok so i've been searching and I am stumped on what piggy back system to run. Or is this just a complete waste of time? I'm not trying to start a piggyback vs stand alone argument, I'm just trying to find the most cost effective way to manage my fuel. I plan on trying to hit the 400-450 whp mark for now till i learn more about the systems to expand into the 600+ later down the road( couple years).so ?'s are

1. What are the better know piggy backs out there anf why are they better?

2. what are the hp limits of a piggy back?

3. does the ls400 maf mod help the power limits?

4. what do these piggy back systems cost and what do you need to run them properly.( assuming the need to be tuned just like any stand alone)

5.Have many people used the mega squirt systems? if so how was the succuess or not? ( asking due to the cost effectiveness) I have seen several people "start" trying to use them but no real fallow ups or diagrams.

Thanks in advance for any info. I know that this has prob. been gone over just having trouble finding my exact answers with the most current products available. BTW I'm very excited to jump into the sc performance think its a wonderful combo of power\class that most people never see coming
Old 04-17-12, 05:30 AM
invasion
Driver School Candidate

Nobody???? If these questions have been beat down then just link me the thread.....thanks
Old 04-17-12, 07:36 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw the SAFC, that thing is garbage. It only "Tricks" your ecu to fuel it the way you want.

Problem is, when you take too much fuel out of the AFC, the ECU thinks their is less air, and adds timing to a dangerous level.

The Proper way to fuel a newer boosted car is:

-Crazy Standalone $$$$$

-AEM FIC or MAP ECU (Both are around $300-400)

The AEM and MAP ECU allow you to scale fuel injectors, have lots of fuel adjustment, and the most important thing Timing control!

They also have a MAP sensor built in to properly meter the air that is coming in.

Does that answer your question?
Old 04-17-12, 07:37 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

MS is killer if you know how to configure/tune.

It's basically a standalone that you build, but for pennies on the dollar.
Old 04-17-12, 08:42 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the only way you can really "cheap out" on EMS related stuff is by knowing exactly what you're doing. said situation would warrant running a megasquirt3X. it is very capable, and it only costs a little more than an the AEM FIC / MAP ecu / emanage piggybacks.

if you can't handle a megasquirt, get a piggyback, and pay someone to install it (help you install it?) and tune it.
Old 04-17-12, 10:47 AM
invasion
Driver School Candidate

So it seems that everyone is pro AEM FIC or MAP ECU and can be had for 3-400..... deff. answers that ? as far as tuning is it " rocket science" I mean no to minimize it but i have a decent understanding of how the systems work however i know that to dial it in perfect that requires a dyno and knowledge. Is it something that can be learned with a little practice and reading/education or just leave it to the pros. I'm a diy'er and would like to solve my own problems if they arise if possible( not affraid to learn just haven't done it before).I love the idea of going MS and really learning my vehicle if possible with my resources. What can one expect to pay for tuning services?
Old 04-17-12, 11:04 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

imo i would just cough up the extra cash to get a standalone. i rather be sure that myengine management will handle my mods. the extra cost of full standalone compared to a piggy back is anywhere from 600-1500 depending on the extra sensors you should buy for the car. i would rather pay the extra then hassle with the possibility of a blown motor which could cost any where from 400-4000 depending on what is done to it
Old 04-17-12, 11:47 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

That is a copy paste answer, and in no way helps the OP.

I'm tired of this "Either go AEM V2 or SAFC". Where is the grey area?

What if the guy can't afford $1400 then a $400 dollar session to get it to run?

You can blow your engine a million different ways.

The good thing about the AEM FIC is that it is a "piggy-back", but it uses voltage clamping on the timing which is the most important thing about tuning safely.

Yes you can play with AFR all day, but at the ragged edge that one more degree of timing is what will kill the engine.

The AEM takes stock input signals, makes the calculation over your OEM ECU map, then gives the ECU a signal it doesn't freak out over.

SAFC's just trick the ECU signal, causing compound signal manipulation. The OEM ECU doesn't like it and will freak out and throw a CEL.

Join AEM power for more info.
Old 04-17-12, 12:07 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SAFC and VPC managed many motors before the Standalone explosion. They still hold there own today. A close friend ran Field's Hyper R SFC and VPC back in the mid 2000's. His car put down 800+ whp and 660+ wtq, the car went finished the quarter in 10.15 @ 146.

Piggy-back will be more than enough for OP's build.
Old 04-17-12, 12:33 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

VPC is awesome. Back in the day any fast DSM had it.
Old 04-17-12, 12:49 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SChema
SAFC and VPC managed many motors before the Standalone explosion. They still hold there own today. A close friend ran Field's Hyper R SFC and VPC back in the mid 2000's. His car put down 800+ whp and 660+ wtq, the car went finished the quarter in 10.15 @ 146.

Piggy-back will be more than enough for OP's build.

sounds like your friend really new what he was doing
Old 04-17-12, 12:52 PM
invasion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
That is a copy paste answer, and in no way helps the OP.

I'm tired of this "Either go AEM V2 or SAFC". Where is the grey area?

What if the guy can't afford $1400 then a $400 dollar session to get it to run?

You can blow your engine a million different ways.

The good thing about the AEM FIC is that it is a "piggy-back", but it uses voltage clamping on the timing which is the most important thing about tuning safely.

Yes you can play with AFR all day, but at the ragged edge that one more degree of timing is what will kill the engine.

The AEM takes stock input signals, makes the calculation over your OEM ECU map, then gives the ECU a signal it doesn't freak out over.

SAFC's just trick the ECU signal, causing compound signal manipulation. The OEM ECU doesn't like it and will freak out and throw a CEL.

Join AEM power for more info.
this is exactly what I'm talking about. if a good piggy-back system can take you in the 500 hp mark then thats pretty impressive and would suit my need "now" and I believe that 400$ is cheap to be able to play and learn while you get ready for that next step. i just didn't want to buy it then hit 400hp then be done( think thats easy to hit with the 2jz) but, if it can carry you into the 400+ possibly 500+ then thats great! I don't have 10k to drop into this car now however, I'm pretty good with cars and do all of my own work and if I can piece together motor/trans/turbo my self and have a healthy cruiser/ little track time for fairly low $ ( as far as fast cars are concerned) then I have achieved what I want. Just don't wana be another mustang, camaro, etc. on the street.
Old 04-17-12, 12:59 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Good for you, and screw LSX's!

Old 04-17-12, 02:15 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
sounds like your friend really new what he was doing
Yeah, him and his business partner have learned quite a bit since the mid 90's before the modern Japanese imports became what we know of them today.

All of their cars were on piggy-back systems as they were more accessible at the time. They have since moved on to AEM V1/V2, PowerFC, Motec, etc... At the end of the day it's the tuner that makes the car run and perform, not the engine management.

With set goals in mind, piggy-back systems have their place as much as a full standalone system.
Old 04-17-12, 03:04 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car runs just fine on an SAFC. I have to pull fuel while in boost, not add and i get good AFR's. They arent the devil as most people think.

Quick Reply: What fuel management??