Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hypereutectic pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 11:53 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hypereutectic pistons?

So I just read a interesting article on the 1UZ.

The pistons are hypereutectic, and I assume forged? Cast ???

Either way, it says that these type of pistons do not take as much damage from detonation as a regular piston would, a aluminum piston lets say in a iron block.

So I am just trying to figure out why toyota never boosted these engines from factory. The v8's have about all they need to be a good performer.

Is there any short comings of the UZ that anyone knows of? Personally I like aluminum engines as you don't go to bore them and match the pistons, you just slap in a new liner and plop them in and off you go...
Old 04-15-12, 04:19 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hypereutectic are high silicon content cast. They are great pistons in that they are stable and do not expand once heated like a forged piston will. They CAN work in boosted applications, and are generally considered better than cast, but weaker than forged.

If designed for boost, hyper pistons can work really well, as the stock gte pistons have proven. If NOT designed for boost, results can be hit or miss. A lot depends on the top ring land depth, compression ratio, ring gap, etc.

Bottom line is that the material the piston is made of is not nearly the most important factor when it comes to detetmining whether an engine will work well with forced induction.

You can boost pretty much anything. People have put turbos on lawnmowers. The question is, how long will the engine last?
Old 04-15-12, 04:38 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyperutectic cast pistons are generally more brittle than forged counterpart, when they do break pieces fly off.

When you detonate a Forged piston, it looks like Terminator 2.

I agree you can make a really nasty 1UZ just by installing Forged pistons with a CR of around 8.5:1, so do it!