Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I'm confused...modding 1jz couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 12:41 AM
StuntKing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm confused...modding 1jz couple ?'s

Ok...so i'm at the point where i'm ready to do a few things to my motor and want to achieve 350-400whp on the stock twins, but after doing a bit of research i'm just confused

Lightweight Flywheel: Some members told me to get it, & others told me to just resurface my flywheel with the oem .020" step because an aluminum one can warp with excessive heat/slipping. Which would be better/safe for my hp goal?

Fuel Cut & Boost Cut: I have a greddy boost cut controller, and looking to buy a fuel cut defencer (hks). I have ppl trying to sell me the greddy unit, saying its better & they're both the same...but isn't the greddy unit for boost cut and the other for fuel cut? Or do they do both?

And last, do I even need the boost cut controller?? I'm going to be using a safcII to tune and read somewhere that:
When you use an AFC (and 2jz map sensor for that matter) you are tricking the car to thinking it is running less boost. This has a twin affect. One thing is that you bypass boost cut (at leas somewhat. Also with the decrease in boost (that the ecu see's) It is going to be in a higher timing map. I think this is where a lot of my gains are from.
Here's what I have done or going to do. If I dont need something, or if something i'm doing is wrong please lmk. thanks

12v fuel mod
Aeromotive fpr
Stage 2 clutch
3" exhaust/intake
electronic boost controller
fmic/bov
hks cam gears
440injectors/SafcII
Old 04-10-12, 05:12 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't get too comfy with the stock twins.

They are old, and crusty, have dated technology, and to be honest a complete pain in the *** to work around, even with my "Asian-man hand" size.

There are a few guys who still have their twins:

A. They are lucky as hell if they are still good for any amount of time.

B. That "Luck" will turn into suicidal tendencies when you do have to remove them!

If you want to make 350-400 to the wheels reliably, here's what you do:

-Sell the twins, give em away, make a coffee table out of them. Good conversation piece, "This is what turbos *used to look like" kinda thing.

-Get an Ebay manifold, downpipe, and oil line kit.

-Buy a real Holset or Garrett used and in good condition.
There are plenty of medium singles that have "Stock" twin spoolup and power, if that's your thing.

-Install and never worry about a 20 year old oil seal blowing up, or De-laminating the ceramic turbine wheel and pooping it out of your exhaust!

I've been there too, hopefully this helps your decision.
Old 04-10-12, 05:22 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, forget cam gears with stock cams, and keep the flywheel OEM or at least Certified if you have to get an aluminum one.

Flywheels can blow up and destroy everything, so don't cheap out on a "Lightweight" flywheel for a minimal gain.