Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz gte Black smoke?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 08:01 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz gte Black smoke?!

I have been noticing black specs on the back of car coming out of the exhaust, (when I run my finger on the exhaust i get fresh gunk) and black smoke comes out sometimes, i think more towards high RPMs. I've been told that it could be the turbos going, anyone else ever encounter this problem or have any insight on what it could be? The motor has about 80-90k miles on it. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old 04-02-12, 08:34 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

maybe running rich.. (which is a good thing at high rpms).. are you running a piggy back or dialed in more fuel at higher rpms? Try dialing it down (in small increments).. of course monitor your AFRs, if you have wideband.

Last edited by Luv2xl; 04-02-12 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-02-12, 09:55 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

Are you running an ECU that can datalog? Do you have a wideband on the car so you can see what the real AFR is? This could help either eliminate or pinpoint a fuel issue.
Old 04-02-12, 11:13 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Nope, stock motor besides apexi intake and turbo timer
Old 04-02-12, 11:56 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

I would at least get a wideband on the car just so you know what the AFR is.
Old 04-02-12, 12:37 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be the turbo. I'm placing my bet on the rear turbo. Have someone see if there is a puff of smoke when you let off the throttle after boosting into the higher RPM's.

Also, since someone mentioned it, wideband, fuel pressure and maybe even EGT/Oil temp would be nice jut to help diagnose the more deadly stuff. It probably wouldn't help in this case since this sounds like a turbo seal to me. After getting used to having gauges at my disposal, I'm in horrible engine vitals withdraw while I am redoing the gauge setup. It's comforting to glance at the gauges when you hear an odd idle sound or when hitting boost.
Old 04-02-12, 01:19 PM
Knuckleup
Driver

I agree. Having a good gauge setup makes me feel a lot more comfortable during spirited driving. It also helps with diagnosing any weird issues.

And I also agree it could be the turbo going. Check all the simple stuff first obviously, and work your way up the list.
Old 04-02-12, 01:37 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

both of you are right about the gauges... I just don't like the cluttering of so many gauges.. lol

I guess I will have to invest in the oil, EGT and a fuel pressure gauge setup pretty soon..
Old 04-02-12, 01:48 PM
Knuckleup
Driver

theres a couple dash units that you can buy that integrate them all into 1 unit that keeps it nice and clean
Old 04-02-12, 02:19 PM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1JZ and most boosted engines run rich from the factory. Stock boost 1J with bolt ons will paint your rear bumper black.

You should be fine. If it turns blue or white then you have a problem.

Put your finger inside your exhaust and feel for oil to see if your turbo is going. White smoke and a weird smell is a tip off too.
Old 04-02-12, 02:59 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

do you have a cat?
Old 04-02-12, 03:20 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

So had my friend standing behind the car and said he saw smoke 2 out of the 4 times i revved. I discovered it made a really loud whining noise at about 5800-6200, it does not sound good. When i poped th hood is sounded like it was coming from the bottom left corner of the block ehich is the area the turbos are in
Old 04-02-12, 06:27 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Rear turbo
Old 04-03-12, 09:01 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
1JZ and most boosted engines run rich from the factory. Stock boost 1J with bolt ons will paint your rear bumper black.

You should be fine. If it turns blue or white then you have a problem.

Put your finger inside your exhaust and feel for oil to see if your turbo is going. White smoke and a weird smell is a tip off too.
Already ran my finger on it and had gunk, no oil; no white smoke, only black; And the only thing i can really smell is boost

And guages are on my list of things to do along with so many others, but now i will move them up on the priority list with all the emphasis on em lol
Old 04-03-12, 09:03 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Originally Posted by TTschmitta
Already ran my finger on it and had gunk, no oil; no white smoke, only black; And the only thing i can really smell is boost

And guages are on my list of things to do along with so many others, but now i will move them up on the priority list with all the emphasis on em lol
And again, stock motor with intake

Quick Reply: 1jz gte Black smoke?!