Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 sc400 engine tune up help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 10:49 PM
xrsracer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 sc400 engine tune up help

Sup CL, first time buyer but long time follower. So I just bought this 92 sc400 and it has some oil leaks in the heads and oil pan and the common stuff. One ps hose has a leak also. So I'm planning on making everything brand new again in the engine. Gonna replace the head gasket, oil pan gasket, probably new spark plugs and wires and caps. Do I need to check my heads or anything for oil inside? Is there any brand of gaskets recommended? Do I need to change out water pump or anything or anything else that will help or what u guys would recommend? Ive been looking into this seafoam thing too before all of this cause I know everything will need to be replace anyways. Im not a cheap guy so i know everything is gonna be name brand for sure. Anything else would help. Thx alot CL.
Old 03-23-12, 10:58 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for water pump, it depends if it was changed at the 100k mile service or not. How many miles do you have? Also if you're replacing gaskets and all that you might as well seafoam treat before you flush oil, radiator and replace spark plugs. Am I missing something? Oh yeah drain and re-fill transmission and you should be set.
Old 03-23-12, 11:10 PM
bigtexlex
Driver School Candidate

I just did a timing belt job, water pump caps rotars wires and plugs on my 94 sc400. It wasnt as difficult as i thlught. U have to take the radiator out and take the iac to get to the pump. I did all of this trying to see if it would fix the slow acceleration up to 10mph and dieseling my car did. Searching on here really helped me alot. I still have the problem but my sc beat bkth my friends and all of us have the same car with the same stock set up. The only thing i can recomend is search and read search and read... These cars have been around for 20 years so there is a lot of experience on here. My powersteering pump wasnt leaking but the vaccum hose that ran into the intake pipe broke so i pluged it and its just fine. And it cleans some of the hoses up. Im gonna re run the hose because it was put there to serve a purpose even if its minor.
Old 03-24-12, 04:07 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car does the same. My acceleration sucks at 1100 rpm. I've read elsewhere that its a tranny issue. Can anyone chime in and explain a little.
Old 03-24-12, 07:28 PM
xrsracer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
As for water pump, it depends if it was changed at the 100k mile service or not. How many miles do you have? Also if you're replacing gaskets and all that you might as well seafoam treat before you flush oil, radiator and replace spark plugs. Am I missing something? Oh yeah drain and re-fill transmission and you should be set.
I'm at 120k miles right now and I don't think he did any maintenance to anything yet. I'll probably do all the flush for sure while I'm emptying everything out already and yeah for sure sea foam before I do everything else. Do u have to drive on the sea foam thing for a week or so or u do it right after it cleans out the system? I just replace my serpentine belt less then a month ago with the gatorback. Just barely put royal purple synthetic oil also and filter. I know I need to do alot more but that's all I can't think right now.