Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

slow on take off

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 07:57 PM
bigtexlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow on take off

just bought a 94 sc400 with 120k, did timing belt, water pump, and full tune up... i have two problems that were present before and after all this work... from dead stop when i punch it... its slow till 10mph then i can feel the power... and when i shut it off it runs for a second or two till finally it shuts off... ive looked and looked and searched and searched, the only thing i saw remotely close to fixing the issue with the slow power is to tighten the throttle cable... someone please give me some advice
Old 03-22-12, 08:22 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly welcome to the club.

As for the slow on take off... I thought that was how its supposed to be. Anyway I bypassed the fuel pump ecu and whadayaknow this bad boy was moving.

As for the other issue I have no clue, I never seen such thing on other than boosted cars where they have a timer.
Old 03-22-12, 08:39 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel Pump mod??? What you just ran a relay and Straight 12V to pump?
Old 03-22-12, 08:46 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Check your throttle position sensor. It will be opposite the throttle linkage. That sounds like the tps.
Old 03-22-12, 08:59 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
Fuel Pump mod??? What you just ran a relay and Straight 12V to pump?
No. Instead of letting the wires run to the ECU I connected them together. Look for it theres a DIY here somewhere.

Originally Posted by durtysc300
Check your throttle position sensor. It will be opposite the throttle linkage. That sounds like the tps.
You mean the slow on take off or the shut off after a few seconds? I am low idling and suspect my TPS is problematic. I am waiting to test it this weekend.
Old 03-22-12, 10:38 PM
bigtexlex
Driver School Candidate

After talking to some people. The taking a few seconds to shut of might be caused by spark plugs, spark plug wires or fuel injectors being bad... Since a tune up was just done im gonna tackle the injectors next. But if i gonna get fuel injectors should i get slightly larger ones? Ive read some stuff about people putting bigger ones in . I just dont know what it does as far as performance on a stock motor.
Old 03-22-12, 10:42 PM
bigtexlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
Firstly welcome to the club.

As for the slow on take off... I thought that was how its supposed to be. Anyway I bypassed the fuel pump ecu and whadayaknow this bad boy was moving.

As for the other issue I have no clue, I never seen such thing on other than boosted cars where they have a timer.
My friend has a sc400 also. Its a 92 or 93. His is stock also. When he slams on the gas his car isnt slow to pick up speed at all. Mine will spin the tires a little then its slow to get to 15mph and then you can feel it kick in and take off... My trac light is on and it says my tc is off. Im thinking the traction control is messed up and its actually on and it stops me from really taking off.
It would be awesome if i just figured out my problem.... But if it is the traction control ive gotta figure out how to either remove it or fix it
Old 03-22-12, 11:04 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
No. Instead of letting the wires run to the ECU I connected them together. Look for it theres a DIY here somewhere.

You mean the slow on take off or the shut off after a few seconds? I am low idling and suspect my TPS is problematic. I am waiting to test it this weekend.
The slow on take off..the tps wouldn't have an effect on your idle. Your idle is controlled by the IAC and vacuum. If the car is stumbling when you mash the go pedal but then all of a sudden picks up speed damn near always either going to be a fuel pressure issue or the TPS.
Old 03-23-12, 01:31 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by durtysc300
The slow on take off..the tps wouldn't have an effect on your idle. Your idle is controlled by the IAC and vacuum. If the car is stumbling when you mash the go pedal but then all of a sudden picks up speed damn near always either going to be a fuel pressure issue or the TPS.
Sounds about right. I'm also testing the IAC this weekend while I'm at it. I was reading this thread which gave me the idea about the TPS. I have a hesitation issue and bad response I thought its all related.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-issues.html