Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question regarding VVTI.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 08:02 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding VVTI.

Okay. I've been searching for the better part of 2 days.

I'm considering all my options regarding a possible swap and/or build. I have a opportunity to get a Aristo 2JZGTE with trans, ECU, harness etc. As you guys already know, the Aristo (JZS147) is NOT have VVTI. My car is a 1999 SC300 that has a 2JZGE VVTI. I would like to know what issues I will encounter if I went this route? How easy will this swap be? Will I be able to have all functions with this swap?

Please be as detailed as possible. Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-12, 08:04 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The harness will be harder to make
Old 02-22-12, 08:10 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
The harness will be harder to make
Is it possible? Do you have any hard facts about this config.?
Old 02-22-12, 08:22 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ECU plugs are different between VVT-i and non.

Still I'd tell you to find a VVT-i engine 1jz or 2jz over non. Not only are they more new but you have more spare parts like the coil plugs, plug wires, igniter, etc.
Old 02-23-12, 05:51 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is very possible and has been done. Wiring will be tricky, but if you can read diagrams and are confident in your wiring abilities, you can do it for sure. FYI, if you do decide to get a VVT-i swap, make SURE it comes with a MAF, or that you account for the expense of sourcing the MAF separately. Something I noticed some ebay sellers doing is listing a VVT-i swap, and then listing the (required) MAF in a different auction. Quite annoying IMO.
Old 02-23-12, 06:18 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the VVTi vs non VVTi is not an issue, depending on which ECU you use.

i think you may run into problems with the immobilizer / electronic key though.
i know the immobilizer and ECU need to match, but that may be only for the ECU purposes, so your 99 ign lock/immobilizer will send the start signal down to the ECU. i'm not sure.
i would check on this before you buy anything, but i initial thought is you'll be okay.
and i THINK the stock ecu controls a few other things in the car like it does in the is300 (when those guys upgrade to a standalone, they have to install it on top of the stock ECU to keep the factory alarm and a bunch of other crap)

when doing a complete engine swap like this (and into a complicated 98+ SC) i would recommend going with an EMS like a AEMv2 or a haltech, but i know those are $$$. it will be difficult to get the aristo ECU working 100% correctly in your 99 SC though.
Old 02-23-12, 06:40 AM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
It is very possible and has been done. Wiring will be tricky, but if you can read diagrams and are confident in your wiring abilities, you can do it for sure. FYI, if you do decide to get a VVT-i swap, make SURE it comes with a MAF, or that you account for the expense of sourcing the MAF separately. Something I noticed some ebay sellers doing is listing a VVT-i swap, and then listing the (required) MAF in a different auction. Quite annoying IMO.
Thanks for the info. You make a good point re: the MAF.

Originally Posted by cartmill
the VVTi vs non VVTi is not an issue, depending on which ECU you use.

i think you may run into problems with the immobilizer / electronic key though.
i know the immobilizer and ECU need to match, but that may be only for the ECU purposes, so your 99 ign lock/immobilizer will send the start signal down to the ECU. i'm not sure.
i would check on this before you buy anything, but i initial thought is you'll be okay.
and i THINK the stock ecu controls a few other things in the car like it does in the is300 (when those guys upgrade to a standalone, they have to install it on top of the stock ECU to keep the factory alarm and a bunch of other crap)

when doing a complete engine swap like this (and into a complicated 98+ SC) i would recommend going with an EMS like a AEMv2 or a haltech, but i know those are $$$. it will be difficult to get the aristo ECU working 100% correctly in your 99 SC though.
Excellent point. I'm going to do some research on the immobilizer issue. I wonder if there is a bypass?? I believe that the Aristo had all the basic features as my '99. A/C, trac ctrl etc... The only feature that I'm not certain of is the "ect-normal-snow" that's located on the shifter?