Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzgte cold start problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 02:42 PM
kinch09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jzgte cold start problem

here is the story ill keep it short

i spun a bearing. i had the motor rebuild (bearings, studs, HG, and damaged rod) put it all back together and its having problems strarting

I have to give it a little throttle for it to start and run. even then it still wants to be an A-hole to start. after it starts i have to keep the thorttle a little open to keep it running. after it warms up a little its good to go and i can let go of the throttle.

im running AEM v1 basic tune (not a perfect one), 650cc, single turbo.
spark plugs look ok. wire harness good (tweak'd performace) new coil packs

ideas
i only run one knock sensor with the EMS and its fine. at first it would not start until we took both out and replaced one after rebuild
tuning issue, had the guy that tuned it look at this issue to see if he could fix it in the tune..nothing
i was told it might be "cold start injector" never heard of it
timing
runs very very rich cold and improves as it warms up
idle set to low
fuel pump relay

thanks for any help. ive searched and everything ive seen is where the motor would not start at all or rough idle. i can not test anything now going under r154 swap.

Last edited by kinch09; 01-26-12 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 02:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Does your car have an idle valve? are you on the stock throttle body?
Basically you need to turn your idle % up in the areas where you cold start, like my % is set high at 1400+ rpm (see where idle target is before you start the car under the idle tab).
You aren't getting enough air in there is normally what causes that since you have to push it down to get it to start, and once its started you have to keep it pressed. If it was just a fuel issue, you would not have to keep it pressed to keep it running once its started.

So turn up your Idle % @ your starting rpm until it starts with little to no throttle.
If you have your Idle % maxed out you need to crack your throttle body open some, and lower the rest of the idle values a bit to compensate.
Its also a good idea to increase your max idle feedback to 10-15% cause its better than stalling, you can find that under advanced idle.
Also you can try unchecking crank inject all on the engine start page, If you are having air issues you may find it starting easier without batch fire on.

Your car does not have a cold start injector, the last motor to have that was the 7m-gte.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-26-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 03:22 PM
kinch09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

makes a lot of sence i will check that ASAP. thank you for the quick response

yes im using the stock throttle body. yes i do have a idle control valve