Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Piggyback guys: How clean is your closed loop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 06:22 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

oh, okay, so the X board is what adds the extra inj and ign capability. yeah, when the extra ign/inj stuff is added, these are some pretty damn capable EMSs. i'm not really a fan of the software, as it's the bare minimum, and i felt like i needed to be a software engineer to be able to make any changes...

but doesnt a MS3 with the X board, harness, sensors, etc. get the cost up to like 6-700-800$ ?
Old 02-08-12, 06:24 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not if you build it yourself. You can use stock sensors, and I would just make a jumper harness using an old Scrap ECU so I could go back to an Aristo ecu if I ever decided to.
Old 02-08-12, 05:32 PM
tryitonce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 leus GS300 with a gte supra block and ge head. I Ihave 850cc injectors and 62-1 turbonetics turbo,44mm wastegate and am using the AEM fic.I can't pull fuel from the car without it running poorly.(idle 12.9-13.1 runs perfect). I have noticed that the fic is reading voltage of 12.6 to 13 while the voltage on the alt is at 14-14-1.My car breaks up at 5200 rpm (on the tach in the car) like it's at redline and the fic was reading 6200. I need help in the worst way.I need help........ Thanks
Old 02-08-12, 05:39 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Ok, I will add you to the "closed loop NOT clean" crowd

Yeah, good luck with that. AFAIK, you have OBDII AND VVT-i. Yikes is all I can say about trying to tune that on a piggyback...
Old 02-09-12, 02:54 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

tryitonce, i replied to your PM.

^ sounds like an rpm scale type of thing, or trigger settings (# of teeth specifically) making it think the RPM is higher than it really is.

afaik, the IS300 (VVTI and obd2 complication) guys just unplug their o2 sensors and the ECU doesn't try to do any correction.
Old 02-09-12, 05:13 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

cartmill since you seem to know quite a bit
how does this sound as far as "would it work the way i think it would"

i know i mentioned it earlier but i haven't found anyone to actually try it nor know if it would work..theoretically it sounds to me like it would but i know nothing so another opinion is nice to have..

anyway
usdm gte ecu
mapecu
wideband o2(with narrowband outs for stock ecu)
then 550cc rx7 injectors(to match what the usdm gte uses stock

this seems like it should work, the map ecu would replace the MAF that the gte ecu looks for
the wideband would also act as the narrowband heated o2 sensors the gte ecu looks for
and then the 550cc injectors of course

seems pretty easy and logical yea?
Old 02-23-12, 06:15 AM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

Ok I have a 1gs with the aristo swap with walbro safc neo usdm 550's and cams. I'm just as confused as when i first started reading this post ( more informed but just as confused on what I should do). I'm sure the me3 is a great choice and it will get me where I want to be but I'm not sold on the fact that the neo can't at least get me there.
Old 02-23-12, 06:25 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imDementeD
cartmill since you seem to know quite a bit
how does this sound as far as "would it work the way i think it would"

i know i mentioned it earlier but i haven't found anyone to actually try it nor know if it would work..theoretically it sounds to me like it would but i know nothing so another opinion is nice to have..

anyway
usdm gte ecu
mapecu
wideband o2(with narrowband outs for stock ecu)
then 550cc rx7 injectors(to match what the usdm gte uses stock

this seems like it should work, the map ecu would replace the MAF that the gte ecu looks for
the wideband would also act as the narrowband heated o2 sensors the gte ecu looks for
and then the 550cc injectors of course

seems pretty easy and logical yea?
sorry, i just now saw this post.

doesn't a MAP3 ecu cost like 800$ ? plus the cost of a stock supra TT ECU puts you over $1000... at that point, i'd just get a full standalone. AEM v1s go for less than 1000$ now i'm pretty sure.
i've personally never used a map ecu, but i do know that going through the trouble of using the stock supra TT ecu and THEN installing a map ECU and getting it all running correctly is going to be more work than plugging in an AEM. just my two cents.
Old 02-23-12, 06:49 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i dont think there would be a point in using a TT ecu if your going to run a mapecu. mapecu overrides everything. if you were running a apexi product id suggest the TT ecu.

ALSO, i take back most of what i said about my safc. its actually performing much better, and i believe the issue was a sticky stock injector. ill have power ratings this weekend if your interested in what i make on a 1jz single turbo on 440s with a safc.
Old 02-23-12, 08:40 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bryan767
i dont think there would be a point in using a TT ecu if your going to run a mapecu. mapecu overrides everything. if you were running a apexi product id suggest the TT ecu.

ALSO, i take back most of what i said about my safc. its actually performing much better, and i believe the issue was a sticky stock injector. ill have power ratings this weekend if your interested in what i make on a 1jz single turbo on 440s with a safc.
you would have to run a TT ecu if you plan on getting rid of the distributor.
MAP ecu can do a lot, but it can't add ignition drivers (as far as i know)
Old 02-23-12, 08:53 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cart I was meaning the first map ecu..

And as far as the gte ecu is suppose to be a lot easier to tune then the ge..since the I believe ge is frequency based and gte is voltage..or vice versa..so I got a gte ecu already and can get map ecu first for like 200 that's why I ask
Old 02-23-12, 08:54 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

ohhhhhh, i thought op was using a 1jzgte. your right.
Old 02-23-12, 08:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you could just use the jdm ecu and then you wont need a map ecu to get rid of the maf.
of course then the ecu is looking for 440's but once you have a gte ecu you can actually use an safc properly for injector changes.
Old 02-23-12, 01:57 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I have been reading a lot over on the map-ecu forums. With OBDI cars, map-ecu techs recommend tuning with the stock O2 unplugged, and after resetting the ecu to zero out fuel trims. Then shoot for 14:1 out of boost, during cruise, idle etc. Finally, you can either leave the factory O2 unplugged and know your tune won't change or you can plug the O2 back in and watch to make sure your trims are stable and your tune stays consistent.
Old 02-23-12, 02:32 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

stockhatch, is there a particular reason you want the MAP ecu? are you wanting the ecu2 or ecu3?
are you currently running the aristo ecu? EDIT: sorry, just re-read what you posted earlier. i has terrible memory.

what you said about unplugging the o2 sensors matches what i read on my.is about the is300 ecu fuel learning crap, but that was OBD2.

if i were deciding between a map2 piggyback and a MS3X, i'd definity do the ms3x, and you know how to assemble the damn thing. it will obviously be more work though.

you'll have total control of everything with the MS, and you can do what you said about re-using the female plug and case from a GTE ecu so you could use the stock harness. nice and clean...

have i been post whoring lately?

Last edited by cartmill; 02-23-12 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Piggyback guys: How clean is your closed loop?