Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Waterpump leak after 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 02:11 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Waterpump leak after 6 months

I had a full 90k service done in early June and I noticed that there is a few dried pink spots on top of the waterpump. After running the engine I noticed that it's leaking slightly from the top. In my experience small leaks turn into big ones. Not to mention the waterpump is conveniently located over the alternator. I don't think it's the actual waterpump, it's the seal that has gone bad. I checked over my receipt and they only give a 90 day warranty on their parts and install. Not to mention I really don't want to take my car back to this certain mechanic. So, how much am I looking to spend? Do I need a new waterpump or can someone seal the same one?
Old 11-30-11, 03:18 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pink? are you sure they put in the right fluid? Toyota pink should NOT be used on the older cars like ours, should either be standard green anitfreeze or Toyota Red fluid (i highly recommend the Red). Check the bill to see what kind they put it.

Also which seal are you refering to? There are a couple seals i can name in the area. Are you talking about the seal between the water pump and the engine block?
Old 11-30-11, 03:44 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

My guess is they used a used part(like many shops do) and it isnt holding up
Old 11-30-11, 04:56 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally it just had some typical green antifreeze. But I know for a fact that it's Toyota red now because I replaced my radiator a month ago and refilled it with correct Toyota Red coolant. The gasket seal stuff they used looks red around the edges. I started seeing dried pink'ish colored spots on top of the pump, then I noticed water and it's getting worse. I'll take a picture tomorrow when it's light outside so everyone can see it.

Last edited by Tabaka; 11-30-11 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 05:16 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

well the pump i took out of my car is pretty much new. i had to replace it because the gasket went bad in behind i and i decided to just replace the pump since i was tearing into there. 100 bucks and its urs. ill clean it up so it looks like it came off the shelf too. u just need to get the gasket in behind it
Old 11-30-11, 05:25 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

The current pump I have installed only has 3,000 miles on it. Can I just re-seal it?
Old 11-30-11, 05:46 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try to put a new gasket in it however this is a sign that they used either a cheap pump or did not prep it properly eitherway it's their fault.
Old 11-30-11, 06:04 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

You've got to pull everything off the front like you're doing a timing belt.
Old 11-30-11, 06:11 PM
scmissle
Rookie

I know a lot of others are probably going to tell me im wrong, but gasket sealer is probably why the pump is leaking. I learned that on a machined surface mating with a machined surface, a sealer does not need to be used. I learned this at 14 when i bought my first truck and did the whole top end and I have not used gasket sealers since, and I have never run into a problem. Gasket sealers help seal, but also make a vulnerable spot for leaks, gasket sealers can expand and shrink. Engines get hot and cold, and depending on what area you live in, the cold weather really makes it hard on gasket sealers. Clean the water pump and block as best as you can, get all that sealer off and get a clean metal surface. Put the water pump on with a gasket without sealer and see if that holds. gasket sealers a pita to get completely off so getting the surface clean is extra important
Old 11-30-11, 06:19 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scmissle
I know a lot of others are probably going to tell me im wrong, but gasket sealer is probably why the pump is leaking. I learned that on a machined surface mating with a machined surface, a sealer does not need to be used. I learned this at 14 when i bought my first truck and did the whole top end and I have not used gasket sealers since, and I have never run into a problem. Gasket sealers help seal, but also make a vulnerable spot for leaks, gasket sealers can expand and shrink. Engines get hot and cold, and depending on what area you live in, the cold weather really makes it hard on gasket sealers. Clean the water pump and block as best as you can, get all that sealer off and get a clean metal surface. Put the water pump on with a gasket without sealer and see if that holds. gasket sealers a pita to get completely off so getting the surface clean is extra important
This is true as gasket sealers make more of a problem than not using any at all, It's all in the preperation of the install which is where most "shops" get in to trouble .
Old 11-30-11, 06:33 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the GE is anything like the GTE, the water pump seals to the block with an o-ring. NO sealer should have been used! The o-ring takes care of all the sealing Time for a new mechanic for sure my friend.
Old 11-30-11, 07:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I don't use a gasket at all and do the exact opposite of scmissle. I ONLY use gasket sealer after using a razor blade to make the surfaces squeaky clean. Never had any issues as long as you make sure the surfaces are properly prepped.

Old 12-01-11, 06:42 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

O.L.T. - I think this is what they did as well. I don't see an actual seal, just a red "paste" around the edges. A few days ago I noticed the spots, then a few drops of pink'ish water, now I see it all over the place. I'm going to stop by their shop and throw some hell. I spent well over $1,000 on this waterpump/90k service with the timing belt. I'll be damned if I spend that kind of money again because a shop couldn't properly install a waterpump.

Last edited by Tabaka; 12-01-11 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 07:52 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Old 12-01-11, 08:01 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

well that looks a lot better than mine did. my was gushing all over the place to me it appears it just needs a gasket in behind it. doesnt look properly sealed on the block

Quick Reply: Waterpump leak after 6 months