Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP! sc400 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 12:39 PM
aumsc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! sc400 won't start

I really need some guys to put their heads together and help me out. I have a97 sc400 that over the period of a couple days if not driven an injector was leaking down and flooding the intake so when I would crank it, it would smell really rich and idle lumpy till the fuel burned off. So smart me decided to take the injectors out and resistance check them and soak em in some carb cleaner.

Resistance all checked out perfectly and I put 6 volts to them and they all clicked well....so after soaking and installing new top filter baskets and all new orings I install them and it won't start now at all......turns over and i smell fuel super bad and every so often it will try to fire but nothing. Pulled all the plugs and they are pretty gassy and wet. Could an injector be stuck open and flooding the chamber? And could just one stuck open injector do this to the point of a no start or would it be more than one possibly?

Car was running pretty darn good before so I can't see how the ECU would just decide to die in the span of 24 hours like that.
Old 11-09-11, 12:59 PM
1jzchris
Pole Position

put new spark plugs in and try again. maybe your old plugs are flooded
Old 11-09-11, 02:01 PM
aumsc400
Rookie

well there is a ton of fuel going to the intake.....i just can't figure out if it's normal flow and something isn't firing or if it's dumping more fuel that the plugs can ignite. I pulled all the plugs and they were wet so going to carb clean them up and dry them out. got new injectors coming overnight....but if the ecu is shot then it's just gonna dump more fuel. anyone else had this problem? was running perfect before I removed the injectors.
Old 11-09-11, 04:40 PM
aumsc400
Rookie

anyone else have any ideas? and since I"m fairly certain the cylinder walls were washed down how do I get the compression back up to get it started?
Old 11-09-11, 09:22 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

To start off with I am much more familiar with the 2 jz ,but I had a similar experience a few years ago with my sc300. But the fact that you are smelling so much raw fuel after removing and reinstalling the injectors makes me think you may have seated the injectors or o- rings a bit off perhaps in the fuel rail? This is just a thought.
Old 11-10-11, 05:52 AM
aumsc400
Rookie

I double checked everything and everything was seated beautifully with no fuel leaking outside the rail, orings or insulators at the ports....was just raw fuel vapor being dumped out of the exhaust.