Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 na-t tuning issues

Old 11-05-11, 04:46 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
I think you are still a little too hung up on "How much Boost can I get" ,and not enough "What's the safest, most reliable way to tune my NA-T?"

They are not EPROM chippable, that's why the MAP ECU/FIC are the best options for running the Stock ECU.

The GTE ECU will control larger injectors then the GE ones, run on Speed-Density (MAP), and have coil-on plug ignitions.

I think you would have fun with a good MLS Headgasket, your 650's, a FIC, and a GTE ECU and Harness.

It'll run so good, you'll probably forget about the TT swap!
Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
I think the problem is that the OP doesn't want to spend the money on a piggyback and doesn't understand how to tune. 12lbs of boost isn't too difficult to tune. Just throw in some MKIII turbo 440s and set your FPR to around 36 PSI. Or Buy a wideband, piggyback and replace the headgasket.
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the GTE ecu will run well for what you want to do and you can run it on the stock harness, It will be tons better than the stock ecu and you can run 20 psi on it with the right map sensor. You just need to add wires for the ignition and the MAP+IAT sensors to your harness, its not rocket science and there are diagrams.
If you get like a 2.5-3 bar map sensor to match your injectors and you wont need a piggyback.
larger map sensors (or an afc) does advance the timing, but the gte ecu is very conservative in boost stock so you could get away with 50% more than stock size (JDM 440cc) which gives 660cc and you are pretty much there.
Best part is you can upgrade to coilpacks, but if you want to still use the stock distributor you can also, and that means running less wires also.
OP listen to these guys and you will be in good shape! they know what they are talking about.

Ali will tell you about the safc on stcok ge ecu lol not fun, you will be hating life he's been there and done that.
Old 11-05-11, 04:46 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get like a 2.5-3 bar map sensor to match your injectors and you wont need a piggyback.
Ali, I though that Toyota MAP's were non-linear (At least the 1jz's are), and because of this, fitting a common GM 3 BAR makes the fuel curve tricky.

You can do this on a GTE ECU?
Old 11-05-11, 04:57 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

^Yes you can! i think i have seen couple guys do it on here.
Old 11-05-11, 04:59 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*Kicks Ground*

I wish My ECU would take a 3 Bar MAP! Jeeeze!
Old 11-06-11, 08:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yes many people run the gm 3bar map sensor on the 2jzgte ecu with some larger injectors.
i dont see why you cant do it on a 1jz. I know 1jz and 2jz map sensors are interchangeable, unless it has something to do with the ecu's themselves.

I thought the timing would be too advanced in boost, but the gte ecu is so conservative, the stock timing for say 10 psi can actually be safe to run much higher than that with good gas. Also it runs so rich at WOT that you can be running more boost than the ecu thinks and be fine also, as long as you match the map sensor/injectors correctly, or you can get a piggyback to do that and make finer adjustments.

Of course there is a limit, which is why i would personally run the 2.5bar to keep things closer to target and still be able to boost 20 psi, with 500-600cc injectors.

Quickgs reminded me how horrible it was with the safc on the stock GE ecu. never again.
Old 11-07-11, 12:16 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol its not that bad with an afc and stock ge ecu lol...IFFFFFF your running like 8-10 psi
Old 11-07-11, 01:31 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

^ lol i never used the stock ecu , but my first experience with na-t on stock ecu and safc was horrible, it's was my buddy's car...i hated the ride of boost as soon as it hits 4k rpm the car bugs down , jerk , and stalls it's was ridiculous maybe that's why i can't stand the stock ge ecu on boosted SC.

i know Ali and lexforlife went through the same stuff.
Old 11-07-11, 03:46 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where u guys running a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator to help out??? if not maybe thats why...

Last edited by 99SC42; 11-07-11 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 04:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I like my fuel pressure to stay in one spot.
If I should have done anything I should have just taken a sledgehammer to that safc and put it on youtube.
Old 11-07-11, 06:08 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by scviolence
where u guys running a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator to help out??? if not maybe thats why...
sorry i was trying to hit the quote then i hit edit my mistake sorry bro

it wasn't my car , i wasn't working on it ..i was just getting a ride to my friend house so i can finish my swap .

I never mess with na-t without ems it's a waste of time in my opinion .

And for 8-10 psi i would keep my car bone stock non turbo ge serioulsy that's just me.

it's too much trouble just for 10 psi, maybe i am the only one that feels like that.

it's not worth it.
Old 11-08-11, 03:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

agree with ali x10000.. stock ge ecu has zero reference for positive pressure (boost) so once you hit above atmospheric pressure ecu goes crazy and your only saving grace as far as timing goes is your limited range knock sensors.. bad move imo for boost
Old 05-23-16, 11:45 PM
smithSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SC42
^ lol i never used the stock ecu , but my first experience with na-t on stock ecu and safc was horrible, it's was my buddy's car...i hated the ride of boost as soon as it hits 4k rpm the car bugs down , jerk , and stalls it's was ridiculous maybe that's why i can't stand the stock ge ecu on boosted SC.

i know Ali and lexforlife went through the same stuff.
I just bought one with the same setup and same issue. gets to 3800-4000 rpm and jerks and sputters and then decides to go. any known fixes for this issue?
Old 05-24-16, 09:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah its called the tt ecu mod... everyone with a turbo is doing it.
once you use the 2jzgte ecu, it drive like a stock car and boost comes on perfect every time.

there is no fix for the ge ecu except completely bypassing it. some guys will tell you you can put huge injectors on there, pull the o2 sensors and blah blah blah, dont believe that crap it literally runs like crap like that as you just found out. instead of taking all the time to work around it, just replace it with a gte ecu it takes like a days worth of effort to do it without the coilpacks and the car will be much more fun to drive.

I know mine with the gte ecu is 1000x times better than any ge ecu combination, it idles perfect, it revs perfect, it cruises perfect, I can go from cruise and hammer it and the car knows exactly what I want, if I build a little boost on an uphill or downhill the ecu is always happy with that (ge ecu freaks out when it sees any boost especially on part throttle), I can slam into the rev limiter at 18 psi and it works like stock it gives a nice little pop ready to slam into the next gear and takes off again. it never even misses a beat. only complaint is there is a 115mph speed cut and a boost cut, but you can bypass those.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-24-16 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 02:04 PM
smithSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah its called the tt ecu mod... everyone with a turbo is doing it.
once you use the 2jzgte ecu, it drive like a stock car and boost comes on perfect every time.

there is no fix for the ge ecu except completely bypassing it. some guys will tell you you can put huge injectors on there, pull the o2 sensors and blah blah blah, dont believe that crap it literally runs like crap like that as you just found out. instead of taking all the time to work around it, just replace it with a gte ecu it takes like a days worth of effort to do it without the coilpacks and the car will be much more fun to drive.

I know mine with the gte ecu is 1000x times better than any ge ecu combination, it idles perfect, it revs perfect, it cruises perfect, I can go from cruise and hammer it and the car knows exactly what I want, if I build a little boost on an uphill or downhill the ecu is always happy with that (ge ecu freaks out when it sees any boost especially on part throttle), I can slam into the rev limiter at 18 psi and it works like stock it gives a nice little pop ready to slam into the next gear and takes off again. it never even misses a beat. only complaint is there is a 115mph speed cut and a boost cut, but you can bypass those.
Thanks! I will get on that asap!
Old 05-24-16, 02:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

heres the link its usually in the top of the main forum not the performance forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-ecu-mod.html