Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electronic Exhaust Cut-Outs Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 11:26 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Exhaust Cut-Outs Pros and Cons

Ok, so i dnt like starting new threads, and believe me i searched, but what exactly is the deal with these electronic cut-outs? They sound great, they add like 15hp compared to stock, very sleeper-ish and cheaper then getting a full exhaust.

With all great power comes great responsibilities...lol. I need to hear the negatives behind it. I dont mean to be a negative person but every time i hear something to good to be true, it usually is.

Depending on where you add the cut out, i am sure there is a possibility of getting a CEL. I also noticed that they have spare parts for sale on various sites i checked. to me thats a good thing, but makes me wonder about the realiability of these things. Another question, isnt it bad to free up instant HP like that mid power band?

so anyone with experience, please, feedback would be appreciated.

also: im writting from an ipad, if anyone can add some videos and pics of what im talking about just in case ppl have not heard of it.
Old 10-28-11, 11:49 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one installed on my 2003 Mazdaspeed so I'm not sure if it relates completely to an SC...

Pros: They sound F'ing mean and are cheap. Great way to add extra HP. With the right throttle, they can shoot out a flame lol!

Cons: Inspection time hassle, fear of cops if they hear it. Mine caused a cel from time to time.
Old 10-28-11, 11:51 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Never heard of this. Got any videos or sound clips?
Old 10-28-11, 11:56 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

hey 97 if u can post vids ill tell u wat to look for... youtube QTP ull see what it is.. there is a new camaro that has one.... or tabaka if u can post vids... eitherway i wish i could but im on an ipad. the camaro sounds mean as hell
Old 10-28-11, 12:04 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

How have you guys not heard of exhaust cut outs?

Very popular to use on higher HP cars to keep a quiet drivable ride during daily driving and then at WOT (on some or part throttle or toggle switch) you can open her up.
Old 10-28-11, 12:07 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

http://youtu.be/ThwV-7XB-Lg

http://youtu.be/iYOOA6bs6Xk
Old 10-28-11, 12:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Damn.... now I wanna do this to my GS430. I think it sounds great on a V8.
Old 10-28-11, 12:32 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

ive heard of it before but like i mentioned above... there has to be bad things along with it. nothing is ALL good... lol.

example: i saw a video of a guy that had some installed. while it was still on the lift he took a video and there was condensation coming from his exhaust cut out and from that condensation u could see bubbles when the cut out was closed. In other words it was brand new and the cut out already had a small exhaust leak. i dont want my car sounding like a 1987 pinto. It could be though that he bought some EGAY special ones!

edit: im not sure how to post videos but here goes a try!
http://youtu.be/ZEdK5oBa2WQ

another example: lets say i had a sc300 with a 2jzgte and i wanted to install one of these right on the down pipe and run a small pipe downward. Kind of like a wastegate.... wouldnt i get a check engine light???

Last edited by cmh; 10-28-11 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 12:33 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Damn.... now I wanna do this to my GS430. I think it sounds great on a V8.
lol thats the same thing i said once i found this company... it looks promising unlike the ones i have seen in the past on like civics that get it from ebay and they leak.
Old 10-28-11, 12:33 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i wanted to do this same thing on my sc once i turbo it and keep stock exhaust for dd...definitely not new though a lot of people back when i was in to honda's did this...never heard of having a CEL for it on them but i know our lexus have a lot more sensors etc that may trigger something...
Old 10-28-11, 01:00 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to go electric, there's plenty of cable driven or even screw mounted cutouts. Cable is cheap and works easy, the screw on type you would have to crawl under but I expect those to have the best seal/no leaks.

As for cons, if you have an automatic transmission I would be careful where you dump the exhaust. Transmission fluid likes to ignite very easy and super heated exhaust would do the trick. Also think about where the exhaust is going to go that would allow it into the cabin or the heat of the exhaust also. It wouldn't be smart to dump exhaust right in front of or under your transmission and have it heat up the transmission fluid inside either.

This part is pure rumor but I'll mention it. I read some MOPAR cars with side out exhaust had issues with rear tires being effected by the exhaust gas. The exhaust being dumped under the car would hit the rear tires(when you are at a stop I imagine is the issue) and cause the rubber to rot or have some negative reaction. I don't know the truth to it, just that I read a lot of guys claimed problems and said they blamed the side out exhaust dumping the exhaust gas onto the tires.
Old 10-28-11, 01:07 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you were autocrossing, this would be an awesome idea to get your tires up to temperature. You could have a cut out on both sides exiting in front of the rear tires allowing heat to be pushed onto them. They've been doing this for several years in Formula 1. But they use special diffusers to hide the exhaust gases from inspections to curve the rules a bit and create more downforce. Here's a little example of how it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui6EDypjZKQ

Last edited by Tabaka; 10-28-11 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 01:32 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tabaka
If you were autocrossing, this would be an awesome idea to get your tires up to temperature. You could have a cut out on both sides exiting in front of the rear tires allowing heat to be pushed onto them. They've been doing this for several years in Formula 1. But they use special diffusers to hide the exhaust gases from inspections to curve the rules a bit and create more downforce. Here's a little example of how it works...
They also replace their tires several times in a race. I wouldn't imagine a hobbyist who could replace tires on a whim in such a way to avoid long term tire damage.
Old 10-28-11, 08:09 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran an older model of the QTP before. Some of the negatives include:

- Not always the best seal when closed so it can sound like a slight exhaust leak constantly. There are various different models now with some designs incorporating better sealing units but I don't have any first hand experience with the new designs.

- Depending on how it's installed it hangs lower and more susceptible to hitting especially with some of the slammed guys on here who drag frame. QTP does however now make oval low profile units in 3"
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/OVAL/

- They fail! I had to chase after the plate in the street randomly one day when it decided to give. To remedy this alot of the new plates are welded to the center shaft. These cutouts are not designed to withstand daily driving abuse with cold weather / snow / salt harsh conditions. The general consensus is go with the cutout with the longest warranty!

Race ready performance has lifetime warranty on their cutouts but they are more expensive. Also they will not cover warranty if they see signs of abuse / scraping carnage on the body of the unit.

http://www.racereadyperformance.com/

Another great option if your exhaust is too loud and you want to tone it down a bit is Apexi's Exhaust control valve. This thing would be great if you wanted to run a straight 3"-4" pipe exhaust without mufflers and then mount this manually controlled valve in the middle of the system to quiet it down when needed:

This is an annoying example, but this car shows how obnoxious the exhaust is and how well the valve quiets it down.
http://youtu.be/5QqX6dKy2os

All the negatives aside, the cutout will allow full open unrestricted exhaust at a fraction of the cost of a full exhaust. You can run a stock cat-back, stock resonator to midpipe and then dump the exhaust. You don't have to worry about hassling with cops daily because you appear and sound stock 99% of the time.

The downsides are worth it is what I'm trying to say as long as it's mounted properly and you go with a unit that is reliable and warrantied. On a stock sc300 or sc400 it would be purely just for the sound as I doubt it would really add any power. An NA-T setup or GTE swapped turbocharged sc300 would benefit the most from the cutout. I will be adding a 4" cutout to my 4" midpipe .

And they shoot flames.....

You could always just do this:

http://youtu.be/RgP3HvdXcoo

If you've got the coin, Sound Performances boost actuated unit is really the way to go. It allows a hands free instant opening cutout when you need it at WOT. The one major gripe I had with the electronic unit was that I felt like I had to open the valve before I could have any fun. SP's unit allows you to just focus on driving and not pushing buttons.

Last edited by HiPSI; 10-28-11 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 09:07 PM
VC455
Driver School Candidate

Default More options for cutouts

Exhaust cutouts are gaining more and more popular these days as high end European performance cars are installing them stock. Some have them tied to sport mode switches or the ECM controls the operation during agressive driving. The factories are using them to bypass mufflers or resonators to produce less backpress and a more agressive exhaust note. And allowing the car to be quiet and comfortable during normal driving. For us it easy to use a tach switch or boost sensor to operate the cutout. If you have concerns about the CEL you can do like the OEM and not dump the exhaust, but route it around the muffler. That way you don't drop the back pressure to zero. It also makes it less of a concern for small leaks in the valve. I have heard of, but not actually seen mufflers with the bypass built inside of the unit. Sound like a great idea.:thumbup
As far as worries about tire degradation due to the exhaust dumping in front of the rear tires. I have had cars that I drove for years with the exhaust dumping directly in front of the tire with no discernable damage to the tires. And having made hundreds of passes down the quarter mile with open headers on my GTO I never noticed any issues with my transmission due to the exhaust flames. Just me relating my experience's. Your individual results may vary.

Quick Reply: Electronic Exhaust Cut-Outs Pros and Cons