Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 - Air/Water IC - has it been done yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 03:24 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 - Air/Water IC - has it been done yet?

Just curious as I'm piecing together my new "build" - don't worry I won't bore you with the details but I've been a huge fan of a AWIC on a Supercharged setup and all I see on here is air to air.

I was thinking about putting the heat exchanger in the passenger side fender well and ducting directly to it from the grill beside the fog light. along with a fan on the backside for extended idle temp decrease.

Cost is not of a concern for me.
Old 10-10-11, 07:32 AM
Strokergsr
Driver

You are doing a cerntrifugal supercharger?

I personally havnt seen an air to water on an SC, turbo or SC, but doesnt mean it's a bad idea. Built plenty of setups on other vehicles, both street and race, and they work great
Old 10-10-11, 07:37 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

No, it would be a turbo charger (S366 is what I'm thinking at this point).

I think it would be a unique idea in the sense that the A/C wouldn't need an efan at this point, and the radiator will still get it's fresh source of air without getting hot air from a air/air in front of it.
Old 10-10-11, 07:51 AM
Strokergsr
Driver

I would still run a small heat exchanger for the air to water but yeah it would work fine. That is probably the direction I will go when I turbo the LSX in my car later down the road. They really do make a night and day difference over a front mount even on a street car, we've tested plenty
Old 10-10-11, 07:53 AM
Strokergsr
Driver

Here's a kit we did on an 8th gen civic at the shop I used to work at. Fitment, less IC piping, and much colder IAT's = FTW

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/turbo...rbo-build.html
Old 10-10-11, 08:19 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air/water means the heat has to be radiated twice: once into the water, and once out of it. This is less efficient than air/air. The air/water has an advantage on a race car since you can load it with ice water, and piping is far easier. What you save in charge pipe routing is traded for the added complexity of the water piping, storage, and pumping.
Old 10-10-11, 08:22 AM
Strokergsr
Driver

Originally Posted by MooJohn
Air/water means the heat has to be radiated twice: once into the water, and once out of it. This is less efficient than air/air. The air/water has an advantage on a race car since you can load it with ice water, and piping is far easier. What you save in charge pipe routing is traded for the added complexity of the water piping, storage, and pumping.
Nope. With just regular water + water wetter running through the system we saw huge intake temp drops plus better spool due to the piping being much more concise. Not sure how you think that is less efficient but there is plenty of data to back it up. Yes there are a few more parts to it and maybe a little extra weight but performance wise air to water easily beats air to air
Old 10-10-11, 08:25 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Love SSA's work. All of it I've seen has been top notch quality.

AIr/Water is much more efficient than Air/Air.

Radiator would be mounted behind the passenger side fog light area, with an efan to pull during low speeds/idle. I'll end up fabricating a duct to go into there but still allow the brakes to get air.
Old 10-10-11, 11:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have seen the Ice box intercooler setup on drag supras before, does that count?
I thought air/water was cooler at first, then once the water gets saturated with heat it can be warmer than air/air depending on the efficiency of your exchanger/radiator. I would love to see some comparison numbers, especially after some heavy runs.

have you considered a methanol kit? for $3-400 you can basically run a straight pipe from your turbo to your intake with a nozzle, which will give you colder IAT's than any of the above in boost and richen up your AFR at the same time.

Also, with a large intercooler in front of my radiator, I see no difference in coolant temps, its always around 190 degrees.
freeing up the area in front of the radiator is not going to really gain you anything coolant temp wise, but if we can lower IAT's then i'm interested.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-10-11 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 11:42 AM
Strokergsr
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have seen the Ice box intercooler setup on drag supras before, does that count?
I thought air/water was cooler at first, then once the water gets saturated with heat it can be warmer than air/air depending on the efficiency of your exchanger/radiator. I would love to see some comparison numbers, especially after some heavy runs.

have you considered a methanol kit? for $3-400 you can basically run a straight pipe from your turbo to your intake with a nozzle, which will give you colder IAT's than any of the above in boost and richen up your AFR at the same time.

Also, with a large intercooler in front of my radiator, I see no difference in coolant temps, its always around 190 degrees.
freeing up the area in front of the radiator is not going to really gain you anything coolant temp wise, but if we can lower IAT's then i'm interested.
Unfortunately I dont work at the shop anymore and cant remember off hand the temp drop but it was very surprising and probably somewhere in that thread I posted. Even on a street car where you think the water would heat up, it is still very efficient becuase there is no thermostat, like the engine cooling system, and the water is constantly flowing. Not to mention charge temps would not get nearly as hot as an engine. Drag cars are constantly putting ice to gain as much temp drop as possible but with regular water on a street car, driving long distance and all, there is still significant gains
Old 10-10-11, 11:51 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Air/Water setups (done right) are much more consistent, usually there is less piping and distance, less pressure loss.

Methanol would be nice, if it didn't have to be refilled with my heavy foot
Old 10-10-11, 12:06 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

keeping it on track..

Last edited by Luv2xl; 10-10-11 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-10-11, 12:08 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Go sitck your hand on your FMIC after making a hard run on a FMIC in Louisiana heat and see if it's any cooler than the radiator would be on an Air/Water.

It wasn't a debatable question thread, it was a question to see who has done it so far.
Old 10-10-11, 12:17 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek

Go sitck your hand on your FMIC after making a hard run on a FMIC in Louisiana heat and see if it's any cooler than the radiator would be on an Air/Water.

It wasn't a debatable question thread, it was a question to see who has done it so far.
Guess you are tired of everyone giving their input on the cons.. lol

I still can't see how AWIC would be cooler in Louisiana heat.

Once you do complete the setup. Please let us know what your temps are.. I would love to hear it.

I do understand the water is better for heat exchange but for short runs.. longer trips will not be good.

Last edited by Luv2xl; 10-10-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-10-11, 12:19 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
Guess you are tired of everyone giving their input on the cons.. lol

Once you do complete the setup. Please let us know what your temps are.. I would love to hear it.
Once again, I didn't want to hear anyones opinion, because if I did the title of the thread would have been "Should I water cool?"

There's a reason the Bugatti uses it, and any other super car that's street driven (Atom, etc) and the reason why it's preferred in drag racing and road racing.

People can jab away all they want about the negatives, just wasting their time.

Quick Reply: SC300 - Air/Water IC - has it been done yet?