Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Flywheel suggestions??

Old 10-05-11, 10:17 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flywheel suggestions??

Im in the market for a new flywheel. I tried looking for a used flywheel but no luck so Im looking at a new flywheel. Im not pushing any crazy numbers, just a stock powered 1.5jz.. I was looking at the aluminum flywheels and wanted to know are these reliable and would good for daily driving?

Anyone have any experience with the Clutchmaster and Fidanza Aluminum flywheels? Which one would ya'll recommend? Can these be resurfaced like the stock flywheels? Im looking at some pics on Ebay and the flywheel has bolts around the resuface area. How do machine shops resurface these?
Old 10-05-11, 06:20 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

stock fw work the best IMO.

I had a spec lwfw and it made all types of hissing noise you depress the clutch , it's noisy i hated mine for the little time i had it and i will never do lwfw crap again.
stock FTW!!!!
Old 10-05-11, 09:42 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the fidanza and did not like it at all if you dont keep the rev,s up it is easy to stall.
Old 10-06-11, 04:09 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I currently have a Fidanza unit that i've used since my old 2JZ engine. It takes some getting used to but it will be kinda uncomfortable to use at first, but you will get used to it. City gas mileage goes down because the revs pick up more quickly, burning more gas while highway mileage stays relatively unchanged. As blueboost6 mentioned, if you don't keep revs up it will bog down and occasionally stall if you don't catch it, especially with a heavier clutch like the ACT XTreme pressure plate i have. With the ACT clutch it holds well and revs quickly, but i still struggle with it ocassionally during street driving. As for resurfacing, they have steel inserts in the center that are replaceable ($50 for an insert) which is why you see bolts in the center. Overall it's a good unit, but it takes some getting used to so don't be surprised if it seems harder to drive. Some people prefer the chromoly units over the aluminum units, they can chime in on their experiences.
Old 10-06-11, 07:57 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I think Im going to stick with OEM. But, Im having a tough time sourcing a factory flywheel, how come these are hard to get a hand on one?

My nephews buddy owns a parts shop and hes been looking around now with no luck. Any suggestions where would be a good place for with a decent price?
Old 10-06-11, 09:01 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

are you talking W58 or R154 transmission? Best place to find one would be a second hand one and have it resurfaced at a transmission shop. Supra forums or Supramania would both be good places to start. Driftmotion also sells stock flywheels for the R154
Old 10-10-11, 06:44 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

I'd stick with a stock flywheel. I've ran Fidanzas in some of my cars, and I liked them, but they made driving in town and parking lots a nightmare (although, could have been my clutch/flywheel combo as well. 7lb flywheel with a 6puck stage4 ACT lol)