Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 intermittent starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 04:38 PM
Bott63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 intermittent starting issues...

Can anyone help me keep my sanity?

I too am facing the dreaded intermittent starting issues... Starter replaced, as well as battery, and wires from battery to starter/alt. about 6 months ago. Weird problem... Car ALWAYS starts on first try, even before replacing said parts... Problem is if I turn engine off within 5 minutes of starting, it won't restart. I may hear a subtle click, but the starter won't engage. I've tried wiggling coil wire, and sometimes that is enough to get the starter engaged again, sometimes not. I've tried placing key to the engine on position, and tapping brake, as well as moving gear selector from drive to park several times. Sometimes this will allow starter to engage again after placing in Park position? Battery checked and is holding 12.6V after allowing to sit for 6 hours+. I've also tried jumping from another battery when this happens to no avail... Especially weird, as car will always restart again after letting it sit for 45 minutes or so...

Car is a '93 SC400 with 150k miles...

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Bad contacts on the starter? Perhaps replacing coil or coil wires? Is there some type of relay or sensor that tells when the car is in N or Park that might be faulty? Faulty ignition switch?