Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what do i need to achieve 600whp 2jz vvti? please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-11, 10:52 PM
ttran480
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need to achieve 600whp 2jz vvti? please help

i have a 95 sc300 5spd and i plan to swap a 98 2jzgte vvti motor with single turbo garrett gt45. my question is can i achieve 600whp on a stock internal motor? i have new oem head gasket , arp head studs, new oem oil pump, new waterpump, 750cc injectors, r154 tranny and can i use my 2jzgte vvti stock ecu or aem v2? or ultimate e-manage? what would be the best route to take to achieve my goal of 600whp? any suggestion? really appreciated thx u
Attached Thumbnails what do i need to achieve 600whp 2jz vvti? please help-pictures-023.jpg  
Old 10-01-11, 10:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

forget the stock ecu, go full standalone
Old 10-02-11, 06:07 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

why do vvti .. unless its a supra vvti motor theres alot of modifications needed in the wiring area .. tuning vvti is a real pita.. i would do non vvti setup , full aem and unless theres signs of blown hg (which if there was i would not use that motor anyways) dont open or break factory seal.. stock hg and headbolts are perfectly fine beyond those hp levels ..i also wouldnt mess with changing out oil pump unless theres signs of metal in it which again i wouldnt touch that motor ..

at the risk of starting that old debate thread again about which setup is better , doing 600 rwhp can be done on na-t setup .. i prefer high compression , heck check my sig , im at 600 rwhp on pure 93 pump gas at only 19 psi

Last edited by lexforlife; 10-02-11 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-02-11, 10:12 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
why do vvti .. unless its a supra vvti motor theres alot of modifications needed in the wiring area .. tuning vvti is a real pita.. i would do non vvti setup , full aem and unless theres signs of blown hg (which if there was i would not use that motor anyways) dont open or break factory seal.. stock hg and headbolts are perfectly fine beyond those hp levels ..i also wouldnt mess with changing out oil pump unless theres signs of metal in it which again i wouldnt touch that motor ..

at the risk of starting that old debate thread again about which setup is better , doing 600 rwhp can be done on na-t setup .. i prefer high compression , heck check my sig , im at 600 rwhp on pure 93 pump gas at only 19 psi
In the cheap head gasket thread I agreed with your point so I bite me tongue and didn't bring up the glaring fault with your stance.

There your opinion was on use of high quality parts. Other times I've seen you boost what can be accomplished with a standalone and great tuning. Both cases your position is the high ground. A "correct" position might I add.

Contrast that to what's above. Variable valve timing - a technology found on most modern engines that improves low end power and decreases turbo spool. Your opinion. Ditch it! Is that accurate? A person who prides himself on using high quality parts opinion now shifts to using an inferior head without vvti. A person who prides himself on tuning is now too lazy to setup a 2 wire connector as a 7th fuel injector?

I'll quote your own statement.
Originally Posted by lexforlife
... im sure toyota had it engineered that way for a reason..
Do you see? Your position in this thread is no different from spoolxexo in the head gasket thread. A position you chastised him on.
Old 10-02-11, 10:17 AM
is350memb
Driver

that is one nice clean sc!!!!
Old 10-02-11, 10:29 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer the question asked from op, Yes it can be done with no issues on a totally stock motor and with nothing more than an aem fic which is what we did on an is300 a while back.
Old 10-02-11, 11:15 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by account2x
In the cheap head gasket thread I agreed with your point so I bite me tongue and didn't bring up the glaring fault with your stance.

There your opinion was on use of high quality parts. Other times I've seen you boost what can be accomplished with a standalone and great tuning. Both cases your position is the high ground. A "correct" position might I add.

Contrast that to what's above. Variable valve timing - a technology found on most modern engines that improves low end power and decreases turbo spool. Your opinion. Ditch it! Is that accurate? A person who prides himself on using high quality parts opinion now shifts to using an inferior head without vvti. A person who prides himself on tuning is now too lazy to setup a 2 wire connector as a 7th fuel injector?

I'll quote your own statement.

Do you see? Your position in this thread is no different from spoolxexo in the head gasket thread. A position you chastised him on.
ok , let me explain alittle further ... vvti gte motor did not come in a sc , so initial setup wiring wise becomes costly and can and does introduce more failure points within harness.

next point , for 600 rwhp you do not want to rely on stock knock sensors to control knock and timing , bad move imo .. you are soley relying on the minimal amount of correction toyota engineered into their ecu within its lookup maps. so going over to full standalone becomes a tuning nightmare . please understand in stock form vvti tech is awesome but way outside the realm of stock becomes abit of a issue. vvti cam gear advances and retards timing based on load so when actually defining your timing map , your map pressures as measured has breakpoints however vvti can work off oil pressures and tps so your timing map maybe great in one area then vvti advances it for it sees a different load and now your are in a danger area with to advanced timing at the boost levels required to get to that 600 hp level

please by no means think im back peddleing, still fully believe in using stock /factory stuff but one has to look at the equation as risk vs reward and for the small amount of low end trq loss ( which btw can now be made up for with playing with timing in that area of the map because you are on a full standalone) lost far outweighs the tuning headaches , again not saying it cant be done as i have personally seen it done but at what cost

btw i make about 400 ft lbs trq by 4300 rpm with zero vvti

i appreciate the healthy and constructive debate but i like taking the path of least resistance and doing a vvti gte setup in a sc is just not worth it TO ME

heres a link a friend that was at my last tuning session felt compelled to post since the last upgrades were done .. please also read post 27 and post 46 directly from alpha , my tuner himself

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...g-juice-2.html

Last edited by lexforlife; 10-02-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 03:18 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's a lot of typing for not "Backpedaling".

750cc injectors and a "Tuner" with any respectable single over 60mm inducer will do 600whp. This is a 2jz after all.

T78, T88, T67, 60-1, Hx35, GT35R, GT40R, GT42R, Precision Turbo, Turbonectics, MHI, get it?

/Next thread.
Old 10-03-11, 05:32 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Wow that's a lot of typing for not "Backpedaling".

750cc injectors and a "Tuner" with any respectable single over 60mm inducer will do 600whp. This is a 2jz after all.

T78, T88, T67, 60-1, Hx35, GT35R, GT40R, GT42R, Precision Turbo, Turbonectics, MHI, get it?

/Next thread.
you again , man you love to troll..... show me any dyno sheet that has made 600 rwhp on pure 93 oct AT ONLY 19PSI .. you have no clue about this game do you..

gt35r . 60-1 , hx 35 gt 40r would all be hard pressed without going up to 25+ psi to make that power on pump gas .. do i have to actually dig up some compressor maps

Last edited by lexforlife; 10-03-11 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 09:26 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

You can make it but not for long with that r154
Old 10-03-11, 09:50 PM
ttran480
Driver School Candidate

Default 95 sc300 2jzgte vvti??

i wanted to be different with my sc that's why i went with the vvti setup. the wiring harness was done by dr tweak performance very clean job i must said. i also have aftermarket intake manifold with a 90mm tb or stick with the stock one? aem v2 work for this setup? and do i need any other additional parts that would help achieve my goal of 600whp? thanks everyone for the great info keep more coming i need it i still want to stick with my plan and goal for this project. i will post pictures soon.
Old 10-03-11, 10:16 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

My supra made 612 whp at around 30psi on pump 93 fuel on a tatally stock motor and a 6262 which went 10.98@ 132 for reference if that helps any and it was a lot of fun on the street as spool was early and it pulled all over the power band with minimal lag time.
Old 10-03-11, 10:58 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

The factory shortblock will take 600 all day long with no issues.A friend of mine made ~1000 on a dyno load, street load it was tuned down. I would opt for non-VVTI as well, keeping things simple is better in regards to this type of work, VVTI will just complicate things.

A local car has made ~630 on 91 pump at 16 pounds. Full kill, the car sees ~650 at 5252, at 5800 it carries over 1000rwhp for over 3000 rpms all on the good old non-VVTI head at 38 pounds on E98.This motor makes plenty of torque as well, a tad over 900 foot pounds, I have not seen many cars make this much torque, even on larger set-ups.

Your goals of 600 on a completely stock long block is not out of the question. The stock intake and throttle body will flow more than enough for your current goals, a 90mm TB is simply not needed.

lexforlife, nice build, Alpha is a great tuner.
Old 10-04-11, 03:20 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xspsi6
My supra made 612 whp at around 30psi on pump 93 fuel on a tatally stock motor and a 6262 which went 10.98@ 132 for reference if that helps any and it was a lot of fun on the street as spool was early and it pulled all over the power band with minimal lag time.
impressive numbers , but 30 psi and on 93 oct and shes still running huh without spitting out pieces of metal out the exh..you are a brave soul , i would love to see the logs of that run
Old 10-04-11, 03:26 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttran480
i wanted to be different with my sc that's why i went with the vvti setup. the wiring harness was done by dr tweak performance very clean job i must said. i also have aftermarket intake manifold with a 90mm tb or stick with the stock one? aem v2 work for this setup? and do i need any other additional parts that would help achieve my goal of 600whp? thanks everyone for the great info keep more coming i need it i still want to stick with my plan and goal for this project. i will post pictures soon.
different is nice but at times very costly... my point of giving you the link to my last tuning session was to show you being on a full standalone means full control and with that you can add more timing down low for more trq and to spool quicker so at that point is vvti a real asset anymore...

good luck with your build , it will be outstanding but please be very careful while tuning at those power levels and set timing ultra conservative for the last thing you want is to be in full boost thinking you are at X within timing maps and vvti decides to advance and you end up at Y . have your tuner setup a very aggressive knock map for better protection

Quick Reply: what do i need to achieve 600whp 2jz vvti? please help