Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

have any of you guys made a bfi?

Old 10-30-11, 08:31 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenStoked
protip: dremels don't cut plastic, they melt plastic, and fling boiling plastic everywhere...
thank you for the protip i will be sure to use and air saw
Old 10-30-11, 10:28 AM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Still hoping for a response on the usability of acrylic plastic compared to polypropylene plastic.
Old 10-31-11, 02:55 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

bump, Im wanting to go ahead with this.
Old 11-07-11, 01:24 PM
shevy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boergy
Hello,

my BFI on my SC400

greets

Boergsn
thanks bro, what do those tubes do and where do they go
Old 11-07-11, 05:55 PM
FORTYSIXn2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boergy
Hello,

my BFI on my SC400
This is a trick Porsche guys have been doing for years on 911 SC's and 964's. Take a hole saw and fill the air box with holes. It didn't make a bit of difference in performance (just pulled more hot air from an already hot air-cooled engine bay) but it did give the cars a throaty sound.
Old 11-07-11, 06:05 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Thats why you put a lid over the top and sides.
Old 11-07-11, 06:31 PM
FORTYSIXn2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by over40driv
Thats why you put a lid over the top and sides.
...yeah it's not that simple in a Porsche engine bay:

but I digress
Old 11-08-11, 06:30 PM
SChumacher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by over40driv
Still hoping for a response on the usability of acrylic plastic compared to polypropylene plastic.
I try with acrylic plastic and no work for me, use better rubber or polypropylene
Old 11-08-11, 06:41 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

It works really well on our cars.
Old 08-07-12, 02:24 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Default Bfi

My version of a BFI
Attached Thumbnails have any of you guys made a bfi?-bfi.jpg   have any of you guys made a bfi?-bfi1.jpg  
Old 08-13-12, 09:41 AM
dutchs
Driver School Candidate

do you have a cover for the top? i may do this as well, also my car's the same color as yours
Old 08-13-12, 10:22 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

No top cover. The underside of the hood covers the top

Since it's not a ram air set-up, I'm not looking for higher pressure or an airtight set up.

The idea is only for cooler air. The calculation to estimate your increase in horsepower is 1.5% increase for every 10 degree drop in degrees fahrenheit.

The cone filter overcomes negative pressure in the airbox that occurs with the stock airbox, a BFI accomplishes this as well.

So in effect all I have done is kept the original airbox's cold air source with a higher flow filter.

Don't put one of those short ram intakes on these cars, everything I have read about these says they lose hp for our cars. The stock black plastic intake acts as a sort of "reservoir" for air to pulse into the intake, linear flow intakes flow better, but they lose hp as there is not a reserve to pulse into the intake when it sucks the air in.
Old 08-13-12, 11:59 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only things I see are special about the BFI, is that it's really cheap, it's easy to build (but so is a CAI), and that it looks OEM (if you like that appearance).
However, all it really is, is a DIY Cold-Air Intake, with the filter in the middle, versus on the end of the pipe.
The other difference being that instead of a cone filter, it uses the OEM filter, or TRD Filter (which actually flows much better). Therefore, it's not really the BFI itself thats so great, but the filter you choose. I don't see how it's any different than getting a K&N Filter, and simply running a pipe down, like any other CAI. The only thing I'd recommend doing first (if you use a K&N), is clean it off a bit before installing, 'cus they come somewhat oily (as a preservative) from the factory; that oil can enter your intake; so clean it off a bit first, and a K&N should be great. Until I see a Dyno Sheet, or some kind of Chart, I think the BFI's just a glorified CAI. I won't say it's over-rated, 'cus I know it DOES work, I just don't think it's substantially better than any good CAI.
Old 08-13-12, 01:35 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default Don't try to re-invent the wheel

Originally Posted by dutchs
do you have a cover for the top? i may do this as well, also my car's the same color as yours
I was wondering, after asking for help, did you bother to read everything about the BFI on Planet Soarer? They are the ones who did all the initial research and development. They did a very scientific approach in figuring out how to squeeze every last ounce of performance from this modification to the intake. Everything you need to know is right there..

As you can see there is plenty of help along with a lot of opinion here for you. I would think you would listen to the ones that have done all the work and perfected the thing in the first place. It would be to your benefit.

Welcome to Club Lexus and I hope you find all that you are looking for and more! Congrats on being the proud owner of a SC.
Old 08-13-12, 06:21 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

There's two ways you can lose power with a BFI. One is by putting an injen type short ram after the MAF. The other is by just putting a K&N filter without isolating the hot air from the engine. There are dyno sheets that prove this.

The people with the best results built a BFI that is essentially a ram air set-up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: have any of you guys made a bfi?