Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

can I use this Metal head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 08:06 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
ihear what you saying bro , however take a look at oem gte hg and you'll notice a copper layer within the gasket .. none of the cheaper gaskets have that ... im sure toyota had it engineered that way for a reason.. id rather go oem and shave 90 off somewhere else
Yes I have seen that and I think with stock head bolts you need the extra cushon for thermal expansion between the steel block and aluminum head however with ARP head studs or L19's this is no longer a valid concern.

Just my 02 though but mine has held 10 second passes for 2 years now so I am inclined to think I am correct in my thinking.

Last edited by xspsi6; 10-01-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 12:18 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car just got rod knock... I also got a spare 2jz.. so I guess I will be rebuilding the spare motor. I am only planning about 300-350hp. I got 2 turbos in my posesion ... CT26 and Garret gt35 65 AR/ 76 EX.. And the followig parts .....some 440´s, resistor pack, 3 inch exaust,hks turbo timmer, intercooler and piping,R154 with a stage 3 clutch.
This gaskets is going to be a temporary thing since, I will not go past 8-10 psi. Once the money starts flowing, I will upgrade internals and such.
I am doing all the labor.. so no problem on that side.
Old 09-30-11, 12:19 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

Default gasket

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Yes I have seen that and I think with stock head bolts you need the extra cushon for thermal expansion between the steel block and aluminum head however with ARP head studs or L19's this is no longer a valid concern.

Just my 02 though but mine has heald 10 second passes for 2 years now so I am inclined to think I am correct in my thinking.
DId you used the GTE gasket from Eristic Gasket ? or was it the Ge one ?
Old 09-30-11, 03:45 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just my 02 though but mine has heald 10 second passes for 2 years now so I am inclined to think I am correct in my thinking.
no , not there for thermal expansion but we'll agree to disagree..i'll continue to only use oem seals and parts where applicable on my personal car and on my customers cars ( as im just building a na-t IS300 for a customer as we speak) for peace of mind ... but what works for you
Old 09-30-11, 04:09 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 619Rider
DId you used the GTE gasket from Eristic Gasket ? or was it the Ge one ?
The gte mls gasket in the link I posted.
Old 09-30-11, 04:27 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no , not there for thermal expansion but we'll agree to disagree
I was gonna let this one go, but since you love copper so much, why is it so important to you?

And you guys do know that Toyota parts aren't manufactured by Toyota Mo Co. right?

xspsi6 wins this thread.
Old 09-30-11, 06:27 AM
buckwheat
Driver

sorry to jump in here like this and i know this ain't my fight BUT ya toyota parts are not made by toyota BUT who ever has been making them parts bless them little japs.has been doing it that way for a reason!! and if they didn't you would not be driving what your drivng today !! just a thought OEM all the way sorry if i steped on some toes
Old 09-30-11, 09:26 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

Default gasket

The gte mls gasket in the link I posted.
the link you directed me to, was for a ge gasket lol jejeje. However, Iam sure they have gte ones.
Old 09-30-11, 10:20 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

There is no reason you cant use online parts if they work for your application.
It seems some people have had good results with aftermarket head gaskets and we all know people have always had good results with oem head gaskets.
which one is better? who knows but i would guess it is OEM cause Toyota overdesigned everything on the GTE.
So unless Yamaha starts selling aftermarket headgaskets I'm still going to be using toyota GE or GTE headgaskets made by a vendor that meets their quality/specs.
Old 09-30-11, 11:43 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

I will test it and see how it goes... I might have to get rid of the exaust and intake gasket.. any takers on those??
Old 09-30-11, 03:19 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
I was gonna let this one go, but since you love copper so much, why is it so important to you?

And you guys do know that Toyota parts aren't manufactured by Toyota Mo Co. right?

xspsi6 wins this thread.
look it up and you might just learn something new as opposed to being a wise a$$.... toyota just like all car makers are just assemblers however they source parts to be manufactured a certain way.. at the high cost of copper , i wonder why toyota has mandated in their turbo applications for it to be there .. they could source the part without it and sell it cheaper ...

look , if the cheaper route works for you by all means go for it , i prefer on certain parts in a turbo build to be of the highest quality .. seals ,wastegates turbos etc etc .... guess theres a reason im STILL boosting the original 15 yr old block in my na-t at 600 rwhp on pump gas and still have almost perfect compression on all cyl...
Old 10-01-11, 02:04 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ed ,
say no more please !check your pm .

Op gl with whatever gasket you choose.
Old 10-01-11, 04:47 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

look it up and you might just learn something new as opposed to being a wise a$$....
Nah, I already know everything. I was wondering why YOU thought it was so important.

Vendors sell parts, not manufacture them.

Toyota does not make their own parts, they subcontract to Aisin, Denso, etc.

Guess what? Even smaller companies build for Denso, and Aisin, like the millions of them in China, for example.

God I LOVE repeating myself.

You guys "Believe the Hype" too much.

That is understandable since this is pretty close to Supraforums.

One a$$hole says, this works for me. Everybody follows suit. It's hysterical, actually.

Oh, and I never take anyone seriously, when they Text to a forum.

You wanna look like the "Professional" you claim to be? Learn Punctuation.

Good luck with the NA-T No matter what you decide.

Not everyone has the money to say: Look at all the OEM Toyota boxes in my pictures guys! I am a baller!
Old 10-01-11, 05:46 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

oh boy , another keyboard warrior here ...(HUGE FACEPALM)
Old 10-01-11, 09:33 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Oh boy, another "Bolt-on" Warrior. Saw someone do it, and thought "Hey, I can bolt stuff together too"!

You don't tune, you don't weld, and I'm supposed to listen like you are teaching me something?

And you still haven't come up with a reason for the copper, 4 posts later. Good job.

This is my point exactly, you Do NOT know what you are talking about. So don't make recommendations.

So why copper? Why OEM? WHy? WHy? why. Why? WHY? How come? Whats the reason? uh? Why?

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but the head and block aren't supposed to move. And they won't because Toyota built it.

It's all in the machining, $30 gasket or $300 GReddy JDM Tite Gasket, it don't matter. 2jz

I use logic and reason, you use Bandwagon internet trends, and text messaging.

Don't try to tell me **** I already know, especially without a logical reason for it. Kay?

OP get the Cheap gasket, period.

Unsubscribed.

Quick Reply: can I use this Metal head gasket