Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removing Engine and Trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 11:14 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Engine and Trans

Just wanted to ask you CL members if there is anything special that needs to be done or anything tricky that might stall me from completing the process of removing my engine and trans.. I'm trying to get it done in one weekend, so anything or any tips will help.
Old 09-19-11, 11:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

remove the radiator. unbolt the ac compressor from engine, and leave it and the lines in the car. you may get more specific info if you told us whether it is a sc300 or 400.
Old 09-19-11, 01:07 PM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
remove the radiator. unbolt the ac compressor from engine, and leave it and the lines in the car. you may get more specific info if you told us whether it is a sc300 or 400.
oh sorry, '93 sc300 auto. yeah ive already removed the radiator. this car has A/C delete already too. ok thanks any more would be helpful
Old 09-19-11, 03:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't think there is anything special besides that on the 2j.
Old 09-19-11, 03:29 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unbolt the hood latch
jack up the rear of the vehicle to help get the transmission inside.
Old 09-19-11, 03:56 PM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I don't think there is anything special besides that on the 2j.
Ok sounds like a plan, thanks

Originally Posted by account2x
unbolt the hood latch
jack up the rear of the vehicle to help get the transmission inside.
Yup, hood latches were the first thing that i removed since the dampeners had no pressure left in them and the hood kept slamming on top of my head. ill use that advice when getting the trans back in, thanks for that
Old 09-19-11, 05:44 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will need beer...
Old 09-19-11, 07:31 PM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TLDriver
you will need beer...
That's an already given.
Old 09-19-11, 07:57 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain your fluids, undo the harness from the ecu and pull it through the firewall. Pull it out with the motor.
Old 09-19-11, 09:43 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

take off the fan clutch to give a lil more room to pull forward and buy an engine leveler.
Old 09-19-11, 10:01 PM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vwpride12
Drain your fluids, undo the harness from the ecu and pull it through the firewall. Pull it out with the motor.
I was wondering about the engine harness, thanks for that tip. I've already drained all my fluids as well.

Originally Posted by chingpo05
take off the fan clutch to give a lil more room to pull forward and buy an engine leveler.
I got the entire fan shroud and surrounding assembly out already. I just picked up a leveler last week due to some other advice similar to yours given to me. I heard that it makes a world of difference with this process
Old 09-20-11, 10:33 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

anyone know where i can print a PDF or word doc of the SC300 service manual?? I found a 2jzge Supra manual which is very similar, but not exactly the same, a lot of differences as well
Old 09-20-11, 01:46 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just don't forget the rear coolant line going to the heater core. I found it easier to undo from the back of the block when the motor is pulled up out of the mount and forward.

Have something handy to block off the fuel line banjo so it doesn't slowly drip while you wait for the motor to go back in.

Good luck and enjoy, it's much easier than on most other cars. Inline motors FTW.
Old 09-21-11, 06:23 AM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Just don't forget the rear coolant line going to the heater core. I found it easier to undo from the back of the block when the motor is pulled up out of the mount and forward.

Have something handy to block off the fuel line banjo so it doesn't slowly drip while you wait for the motor to go back in.

Good luck and enjoy, it's much easier than on most other cars. Inline motors FTW.
+1 on that fuel line, I lost about 3 gallons of fuel before I realized it wasn't going to stop, I guess because the tank is mounted higher than the line. I clamped the rubber hose before the banjo with a plastic hose clamps. On the return I just had a scrap piece of rubber line with a bolt stuck in it while the motor was out.
Old 09-21-11, 08:20 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY

Ok i'll remember this for the coolant line behind the engine, thanks for the tip. Yes, I've never removed an engine before, only worked on forced induction setups on stock blocks and some custom fabbing. I'm hoping to have it out within one day.

Originally Posted by Vwpride12
+1 on that fuel line, I lost about 3 gallons of fuel before I realized it wasn't going to stop, I guess because the tank is mounted higher than the line. I clamped the rubber hose before the banjo with a plastic hose clamps. On the return I just had a scrap piece of rubber line with a bolt stuck in it while the motor was out.
Well, this would explain why my garage smells like premium fuel hahaha

Quick Reply: Removing Engine and Trans