Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Driftmotion Underdrive pulley kit....Reviews?Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-11, 03:03 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driftmotion Underdrive pulley kit....Reviews?Opinions?

I am thinking of buying/installing this kit from Driftmotion. Has anyone installed this on their SC300? My engine is straight stock(1998 SC300). Will I like this set-up? Easy DIY on this kit? (I'll be installing a new timing belt/water pump, etc as well) Reviews/Opinions anyone?
1JZ/2JZ Lightweight Underdrive Pulley Kit V2.0 T6061
Old 08-07-11, 05:18 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Do not get the underdrive pulley. You will damage your engine.
Old 08-09-11, 10:18 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Underdrive=not safe. The pulleys are sized for a reason. The 1% increase in power is not worth an engine.
Old 08-10-11, 06:08 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also an option to get the pulley kit WITHOUT that crank pulley, which is what I have now.
It was ~$50 and included the three pulleys for alt/PS/WP but no crank.
I don't remember if they had mentioned it, but with this kit the alt is actually slightly OVERdriven so if you have a sound system you can bling out you engine bay, charge your car and lighten up the accessory wheels all at the same time.

However, don't buy it expecting power gains. Even with the crank pulley you really won't have any verifiable gains at the wheels. The nice part is you can later add an ATI damper or other similar product to underdrive your setup safely if you wish.
Old 08-25-11, 12:40 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

What's all the talk of under drive pulleys damaging the engine and not being safe, or making power? its the complete opposite of the mustang world I'm used to
Old 08-25-11, 01:37 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
What's all the talk of under drive pulleys damaging the engine and not being safe, or making power? its the complete opposite of the mustang world I'm used to
In the modular mustang world anyway, there are not any reported issues with the pulleys. The concern in the VQ world (and apparently this one?) is crank seal issues and oil leaks.

I have not seen any proof of damage on a JZ but its quite well documented in the VQ world so I never really questioned it
Old 08-25-11, 06:07 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm not gonna type this out again so I'll copy paste the last time I explained this lol

the factory pulley is whats called a harmonic balancer/crank damper. Its actually two pieces held together by rubber as you have found out.

Every time the cylinders fire, torque is imparted to the crankshaft. The crankshaft deflects under this torque, which sets up vibrations when the torque is released. At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in sync with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.

To prevent this vibration, a harmonic balancer is attached to the front part of the crankshaft. The damper is composed of two elements: a mass and an energy dissipating element. The mass resists the acceleration of the vibration and the energy dissipating (rubber/clutch/fluid) element absorbs the vibrations.
Old 08-25-11, 07:11 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
im a mustang owner as well and i never like the idea of underdrive pulleys on any of my cars.

any pull that can be lightened, can also be removed, just my opinion but if ur trying to say engine bay weight start deleting the amenities