Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

code 13, NEED HELP GUYS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 04:33 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry code 13, NEED HELP GUYS

car-93 sc400

well i had a CEL and i recently replaced my cats which got rid of it, but now, code 13, which wasnt there before the replacement. i recently tried to replace my cluster needles and my RPM gauge worked fine, now it doesnt read at all or if it does it only goes to 1800 when the motor is obviously going above that. would a faulty cluster cause a code 13? my car starts and runs fine, no problems, mayyybe if anything a ever so sliggght ticking sound. no power loss or anything. ive done my research and narrowed it down to a few things... 1) crank position sensor 2) timing belt off a tooth 3) my effed up cluster no registering rpm or my temp. i dont really wanna replace my CPS or check my my timing, why? becuse before i replaced my cats i didnt throw a code 13, and the only thing ive done is mess with my needles, trying to factor out a faulty cluster before i go throwing parts at it. any imput?

also wondering if i pulled out my CEL bulb, and my car passed the sniffer, would i still pass smog?
Old 07-07-11, 06:55 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you recently installed just the cluster needles than chances are they are just binding from improper installation. Your needle motors can be saved but you need to open your cluster to fix it. They are very fragile so you must be gentle and you cannot turn them past their limits or the spool of wire inside will bind and cause them to stick.

Code 13
There are two cam position sensors on the v8 I suggest you do a visual test on the wires leading to the sensors, they are famous for getting chewed up by either the serpentine belt or timing belt. Look at image below and you will see the wire is in the way of the belt. You can unplug them and check the resistance of each sensor to be sure they are working. If they are then I would check your timing belt. If the belt skipped 1 tooth power loss is very hard to notice but it will set off code 13. My personal experience.

If your crank position sensor was the issue you would get a code 12 and the engine should not start.

Here is an image (ignore the water by-pass pipe) that shows the two cam sensor connectors.
Old 07-07-11, 09:41 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

thanks sc4double0 best info ive got after hours of searching. regaurding the cluster needles, i pushed them all the way down and then later read that they need to be pulled out, how much im not sure, and how would i save the RPM gauge? i already have the cluster out and open.
Old 07-07-11, 11:15 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

just examined the timing belt... small cracks everywhere, my guess is that its old a lil stretched and jumped a tooth, so a timing belt is def due. BUT however my CEL turned off. oh BTW my sensor wires have not been rubbed thru or anything. now if its off, can get a smog, but i need to fix my rpm gauge, since it revvs to 1800, idk if they can properly set the rpm during smog.