Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 06:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness

I know the actually full 2jz-gte swap isn't worth as much as just bolting on the turbo kit to the GE motor... but I was curious

Phil's manual suggests using the stock 5-speed for the swap; which would bring up a good point...

if one could get ahold of a 2jz-gte long block without the tranny or diff for around $2500-$3000, wouldn't that be an excellent starting point vs $5000+ for turbocharging the GE?

For the money you could throw in a AEM ECU and FMIC on the 2jz-gte motor and make around 430-450rwhp with a lot more upgrade options in the future.

If done this way, without the tranny/diff swap, would this be a good idea you think? I'm just looking for ways to save money..

the money issue is looking better for me, but its still a ways to go; and the quicker i could have a turbo SC3, the better

I'd like to have everyones input on this.
Old 09-15-02, 12:21 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness

Originally posted by Bean
if one could get ahold of a 2jz-gte long block without the tranny or diff for around $2500-$3000, wouldn't that be an excellent starting point vs $5000+ for turbocharging the GE?

thats what I'm thinking too
Old 09-15-02, 03:00 AM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about us unfourtuate folks with auto tranny's....any hope?
Old 09-15-02, 07:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

yeah the auto tranny should bolt up to it; of course it'd need a build-up; or according to Jeff and Toyomoto it could use a shift kit and maybe a torque converter and still be ok at around 400rwhp...
shouldn't be any issue with that there... same issue with swapping to a manual if you ever wanted to do it...

I really think this is what I may do; because I know of a guy I can pick up a used 2jz-gte missing the turbos from for a GOOD price... i could get a SP57 manifold and turbo and a wastegate and be ready to go

I may end up being the guinea pig on this i guess If i get that far; I'll let you guys know how good Phil's book is

Last edited by Bean; 09-15-02 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-15-02, 04:01 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

heh, i might be right there with ya in a few months. I got about 204k on my GE engine, and looking to go turbo by feb. at the latest. A swap is looking to be pretty tempting.
Old 09-16-02, 09:40 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know absoulty no details, but I found out about a shop in Orlando that will do the swap for $2200 for labor if you provide the parts. Again, I do not know ANY details, but could find out if anyone is interested. Its a Supra performance shop here in orlando, and my friend who has a supra said they the shop does them and just finished another one last week. Aparently there are over 6 people in Orlando who have had this done........how come I don't know any of them!!!!!

Anyway, If needed, I can hunt down and post name address and phone # if anyone is interested.

Keith

P.S. I don't know any answers, so don't ask me the questions!!!!hehehehe J/K - I can do my best to find out any answers if you need.
Old 09-16-02, 11:37 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

This is news to me I know a large portion of the supra/lexus owners in orlando. Last week a shop (who doesn't specialize in supras) did the swap for a guy in Tampa for cheaper than 2200, but I am not sure if he will be doing them again for that. I will tell you there currently isn't more than 1 SC300 running around Orlando, and even that is in question (the car completed last week was a 98 was from Tampa). I could be wrong, but if I am let me know
Old 09-16-02, 11:40 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I can do the labor myself I'd rather enjoy it; its not exactly hard or anything.. the hardest part would be running the extra wires in the wiring harness and making sure everything lines up
Old 09-25-02, 02:42 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I have always heard the stock 5 spds tend to not last at 400+rwhp, so it would kind of be pointless if this is correct.

-Ethan
Old 09-25-02, 12:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ebanks
I have always heard the stock 5 spds tend to not last at 400+rwhp, so it would kind of be pointless if this is correct.

-Ethan

Yup, Jeff went through four 5spds at 440rwhp before changing over to the Getrag....
Old 09-25-02, 12:56 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Yea, but what about others? Aren't there a couple guys here running 400+ on the stock 5 speed still? Shouldn't a good tranny builder be able to reinforce the build on a screwed tranny?
Old 09-25-02, 01:11 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Scott was doing fine on the stock tranny; and he was doing some nice 450rwhp+ runs...
Old 09-25-02, 01:57 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, but I have a clutch that won't transmit the power effectively. A weak clutch is essentially like a fuse for the tranny--it gives up before your gears will. A stouter clutch (like the double diaphragm that Jeff ran) would just pass that shock further down the line--shredding everything in its way.

If you want to protect your 5spd, you can still run 350lbs/ft to 450lbs/ft. You just have to get a weaker clutch (Mine is an RPS stage 3 sprung carbon disk with upgraded plate).

The negatives are that you won't always hookup, and in drag style launches the clutch can overheat causing it to not stick at all. I had this happen once so bad that in the 1-2 shift I got a slight bit of slippage, decided to try to power through it, and ended up transmitting NO power. I thought I broke an axle-- was that bad. After it cooled, the clutch would grip again.

I can rev to 5krpm and it will sometimes launch marginal to ok especially if cold. but most times doesn't grip like it should. The end result of all of this is that it remains very quick car on the roll, but from a stand-still it sucks. 1/4 mile times are at least .5 to 1 second higher than if you had a clutch you could really lean on.

At lower torque levels like 250-350lbs/ft the RPS would do fine, but still chattery.
Old 09-25-02, 04:29 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Like a fuse for the tranny, like I said you should've been a teacher Scott. SR also popped a couple boxes making just over 400rwhp, i'm pretty sure he was using the CM unit like Jeff was. awj, it's not like an automatic where you can beef up the internals with Kolene clutches, increased line press, valve body mods, etc, Scott will probably agree with me that the clutch itself is a bit too small, and the synchros and sliders will physically only hold so much torque. I wish there was a cost-effective way to strengthen a stick, I could have saved myself from incinerating about ten BW T5's. Funny how a clutch that grips well enough to get the wheels off the ground gets totally smoked by a 'small' shot of juice......

- Jon
Attached Thumbnails 2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness-compressed-formula-hoosiers.jpg  
Old 09-25-02, 05:53 PM
ToyoBeastly
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lex Luthor

Yup, Jeff went through four 5spds at 440rwhp before changing over to the Getrag....
i wish i could afford the GeTrag 6spd, but Dan at ToyoMoto told me a clutch upgrade would suffice for the TO4E set up, but no that i am leaning towards the T60 set up......will it still be enough to just have a new clutch and the stock 5spd?

sorry, i have sooo many questions and i tend to ramble

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness