Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-02, 12:30 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the way I look at it, spend 5-6k on a turbo kit for your SC or more. A 2JZ swap is going to run you slightly more, but should only be a few thousand. The difference being with 400-500 hp it's going to take a lot more work to get the GE motor big on HP. Probably building the motor. I have seen 750-800 HP reliably on a 2JZ-GTE and you won't really need a build unless you are going over that (in which case you can push 1155). There are many differences between the 2 motors that can be overcome, but if I'm going to shelll out 6-7k to go turbo I'm going 2JZ-GTE, so that I can know that I can just slap on a T78 and fuel system (with the appropriate management) and go 650-700hp without requiring a build. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-02, 03:33 PM
SC2JZ-GTE
Rookie

Old 12-08-02, 05:38 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: 5-speed strength w/ Supra TT

First, I wouldn't be afraid of doing the physical installation yourself. If a driver doesn't have enough basic mechanical aptitude to pull off that relatively simple task, then probably has no business getting into a highly modified automobile, because it WILL take some of your attention, and, most likely, none of the rubes at your local wrench-turning shops are gonna have a clue how to maintain it. You'll learn much valuable information during the swap. With a rented engine hoist, my pretty and totally non-mechanical wife and I pulled out my GE engine in a day's time. Physically, the process is pretty much unbolt and yank it out, and then set the new GTE engine in, with little or no chassis modification.

It is true that the wiring is the tricky part, and has been documented in detail (see website www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt)

As far as the 5-speed holding up... Look, if your intention is to rev it up to 5,000 RPM and drop the clutch, then, yeah, something is gonna break... in which case, why not just go buy the Supra instead and take it to the drag strip. If, on the other hand, you want to enhance the clearly superior Lexus body with enough power for any rational driver, and then treat it like the fine machine it is, I believe the drive train will hold up indefinitely. My SC300 with GTE conversion has over 160,000 miles on it, some 20,000 with the GTE engine. I hit 18 PSI boost several times during each of my daily 25 mile commute drives. The entire drive train is as solid as the day it rolled out of the factory, and no signs of collapse.

Hey, maybe I've just been lucky, I dunno, but happy to pass along some real experience, rather than rumors from other posters!

Finally... the Getrag 6-speed conversion is not all that simple, or inexpensive. You WILL have to change the Lexus rear-end for the Supra... final gear ratios just won't match up at all... there is modification to the shifter unit, shortened drive shaft, new clutch, etc. Get your pocketbook for this one. Honestly, with the torque of the TT engine, you just won't really need the 6-speeds!
Old 12-08-02, 09:32 PM
T51R
Pole Position

Default hmmmm

I am not trying to put you down or anything, but the lexus 5 speed is pretty strong tranny and as much power you have is not going to hurt the tranny unless you beat taht crap out of it..
buying a supra is going to cost you more than putting 6 speed, and like you said, there is alot of stuff involved to putting 6 speed.I know that but it is not a hard, I mean I putted on my 92 but not really hard, it just took time.. I respect what you did on your swap and what you saying. however, if you have a 6 speed on your car, I bit you will suprise how much different than 5 speed. how do I know that, beause I got dyno at my shop and tested each tranny with same motor..

well if you guys are planning to make a 450+ on lexus then you need to swap it either AT or getrag.....
Old 12-14-02, 11:24 AM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

who did your wiring though ? I might be able to complete the swap but I don't have a CLUE on wiring ?
Old 12-14-02, 01:39 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default supra tt wiring

If you can follow a paint-by-number kit, you CAN do the wiring.

See www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt