Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AEM EMS V2 issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 05:39 AM
kinch09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS V2 issues

ok yesterday i had a tuner shop install a AEM EMS V2 into my 97 sc300 with a aristo 2jzgte motor and aristom auto trans. I have a single T70 with 660cc injectors

Issue #1. They said they installed ther AEM 3.5 map sensor, my question is wouldnt it take place of my stock map sensor next to my intake manifold???? My stock map sensor is still on my car plugged in.

issue #2 I have to drive my trans from gear to gear Low to 2nd gear to Drive. if i start from drive it basicallly starting in 3 gear if you know whagt im saying. I was told this is common from and employee of Dr. tweak with the V2s.

issue#3 when i get to about 9psi of boost it just takes a dump and will not go past that amount of boost like its got a fuel or air issue, i had this issue before they EMS, thats the reason for me getting the EMS. After tuning the tuner said i needed new spark plugs thats why it was doing this. Soooo i went home and changed the plugs...guess what, still does it but cranks up and runs as "normal" before i got the EMS

issue #4 later that night after getting gas it will not start, i would wait about 30 sec each time to let the fuel pump do its thing before trying to crank it all the way, this is what the tuner told me to do. and still will not crank it will turner over and try to crank but will not fire up. I plug my stock ECU in and it will turn over and fire up but i have to keep giving it gas probly because its runnning rich as HELL!

could someone help me? all this happen yesterday. the show zone in ladson SC did the install and tuning

Last edited by kinch09; 05-25-11 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-25-11, 06:06 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i suggest getting a competent tuner ..

when you go standalone , why in the world would you leave stock map plugged in .. afterall the wires going to that plug would be cut and wired into the aem map sensor..

tuner does not know how to control auto via aem .. my tuner alpha , 3 weeks ago tuned my friends sc 300 with aristo engine /auto perfectly

issue with 9 psi of boost , again tuner not tuning right maps

why dont you contact alpha at induction performance .. hes one of the best aem tuners in the country if not world.. im sure if you fly him in to south carolina he will come and tune you and i gurantee you will be a happy camper afterwards.. go on supra forums and do some research about him and you will see
Old 05-25-11, 06:18 AM
kinch09
Driver

thanks for the info. other messed up part is they charged me for the 3.5 map sensor and installing it.

ill check him out.
Old 05-25-11, 10:31 AM
kinch09
Driver

well i found the AEM map sensor it was mounted to the fire wall. but still my stock one is plugged in which is a corolla map sensor. I tried again this morning to crank it still same old stuff. i called the shop that tuned it, he saying a vacuum line must have came lose, well i cant find one.

do you know if your buddy that got tuned 3 weeks ago was using a V2 or V1 EMS?

anyone else have some insight?
Old 05-25-11, 11:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you may have to deal with transmission issues with the v2 box, it has not been confirmed, but all the other stuff is easily fixed via tune unless you have a pre existing problem which sounds possible because you said it was doing that before. when you use the stock ecu, can you boost past 9 psi, cause if you cannot, the aem isnt going to solve your problem.
no reason for the stock map sensor or the car not starting, you need to find someone who can tune your car or downgrade to a v1.
Old 05-25-11, 12:16 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

You have an underlying issue. Have you checked your coil packs and connectors for cracks?
Old 05-25-11, 12:25 PM
kinch09
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
You have an underlying issue. Have you checked your coil packs and connectors for cracks?
The connectors on the coilpacks have already been replaced, however the coil packs have not been.

you may have to deal with transmission issues with the v2 box, it has not been confirmed, but all the other stuff is easily fixed via tune unless you have a pre existing problem which sounds possible because you said it was doing that before. when you use the stock ecu, can you boost past 9 psi, cause if you cannot, the aem isnt going to solve your problem.
no reason for the stock map sensor or the car not starting, you need to find someone who can tune your car or downgrade to a v1.
With the stock ecu it breaks up 3,500rpm's so I'm unable to boost past 9psi. It does the same even with the EMS.
Old 05-25-11, 02:00 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kinch09
The connectors on the coilpacks have already been replaced, however the coil packs have not been.

With the stock ecu it breaks up 3,500rpm's so I'm unable to boost past 9psi. It does the same even with the EMS.
It maybe doing the samething because you are running the corolla map sensor
You should not have the stock map sensor connected if you are using the AEM map sensor, i don't see why they would leave the stock map sensor connected.
Find and new shop and get your car tune before you blow your engine seems to me these guys don't know crap, your car maybe running on tt base map and corolla map sensor don't let those come anywhere near you car
Old 05-25-11, 02:36 PM
kinch09
Driver

well i unplugged the corolla map sensor to see what it would do..it did nothing at all different.
Old 05-26-11, 05:41 AM
kinch09
Driver

well this is what im doing, im having a local shop everyone knows, tweaks performance (dr tweak) re do my harness since the guy that did my swap had Alot of trouble doing it, took him about 2 weeks to finish the harness.

next, im going to get it tuned most likely by TDC here in SC

then hopfully by that time i can find somne to trade me my AEM V2 ems for a V1 or something that will work with my motor and trans

hopfully this all will solve the boost issue and changing the EMS should slove the trans issue, i got it started yesterday i unplugged the ems and pluged back in, im pretty sure i lost all data from the last tune a couple days ago cuz it is running like ***! is it possible to lose data from unplugging the EMS?
Old 05-26-11, 05:59 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

well i unplugged the corolla map sensor to see what it would do..it did nothing at all different.

Did you try using a gte map sensor?
Old 05-26-11, 06:35 AM
kinch09
Driver

i orderd a 3bar GM map sensor it came in yesterday. But i found the AEM 3.5 bar map sensor and it is in use with my EMS. But i assume that my stock map sensor is not in use anyone more since it did nothing when i unplugged it, just the shop was to lazy to take it off
Old 05-26-11, 06:55 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Old 05-26-11, 07:21 AM
kinch09
Driver

Originally Posted by 4thHorsemn
i dont have a GTE map sensor i got the 3bar GM one yesterday i should be putting in tonight. but as of now the AEM map sensor is being used.
Old 10-20-11, 10:57 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking around at threads that are having AEM V2 issues so I came across your thread.

First, did you get stuff figured out?

v23 of on the V2 has a bug for the speed sensor. Upgrade firmware to v24 and it may help. Also verify you have the correct manual shift settings. V2 allows you to change the type of swtich used to switch to manual mode. Don't know if V1 had that option, but I had to set it correctly for the switch I was using.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS V2 issues