Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 12:57 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154

Alright...well after the issue I was having with the wiring I pulled the whole thing out and decided lets get down and dirty.

I am just throwing up some teaser pics right now. The car is at the paint shop just getting the engine bay cleaned and painted. He started today sanding it all down, he has some work ahead of him in this department. As you can see in the pictured I took off the fenders and also the plastics and wipers so he can clean it all and paint it nice. I am going with a clean, deep black. It actually like the Ford Cobra black. I debated painting it myself but with the kids sports and my job being crazy busy I just do not have the time.

Old 04-04-11, 02:15 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

What was the orginal color of your car? Painting it a diffrent color including the engine bay is a huge job and or expensive. Good luck.

My car is dark green and I thought about changing the color. But later I'm just going to repaint it the same stock color but shave almost everything.
Old 04-04-11, 05:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

nice, more pics please
Old 04-13-11, 06:08 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joe diego
What was the orginal color of your car? Painting it a diffrent color including the engine bay is a huge job and or expensive. Good luck.

My car is dark green and I thought about changing the color. But later I'm just going to repaint it the same stock color but shave almost everything.
the car is black and will stay black. I am just getting the car all cleaned up. Previous owner was not very careful on many items with the car so I am in "restore" mode.
Old 04-13-11, 07:17 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

well the car is back from the paintshop and engine bay has been completed. Man I have been asked to sell the car no less than 3 times - I guess that what happens when the car finally leaves the garage

Here is the new pics of the engine bay. (excuse the bright light...that was sun shining in the back of garage and it GGGLLLEEEAAAMMMMIIINNNGGGG

Got my flywheel and a ton of other parts...

I have a ton of parts in that I will take pics of tonight and will be showing the whole process...so strap in and get ready for the ride.
Old 04-13-11, 07:53 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That engine bay look amazing, let's keep it like that haha.

What clutch are you going with?
Old 04-13-11, 09:05 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^Wow gunna be one clean engine bay man, keep us updated with pics!
Old 04-13-11, 10:30 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toight. Toight like a toiger.
Old 04-13-11, 02:19 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks ******* nice bro.. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get that engine bay scuffed/scratch etc..
Old 04-13-11, 06:21 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks so much better than before!

Perhaps the cleanest painted engine bay I've seen in an Sc300.

Now your gonna have to go all out...powdercoated valvecovers, intake etc...
Old 04-13-11, 06:28 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I would go chrome on the engine and the turbo setup. It would look crazy in that black bay.
Old 04-13-11, 07:57 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Thanks guys...I made sure he took some time on the engine bay. I will do the car later this summer when the engine is where I want it to be. My biggest obstacle is NOT to scratch anything when I put it in.

Clutch is a RPS 6 puck that I got from 97-SC300 (he broke it in for me ). I will get a full list of stuff and pics this weekend. Work is just killing me right now.

I have in the "powder coat pile" my valve covers, turbo housing, intercooler pipes, intake, runners, throttle body, water pipes. The plan was to do that all black.

I did get a new pulley set from Driftmotion and REALLY likes how they popped. Was making me think about the chroming my stuff instead - or half and half...dang I gotta decide quick. The plan is to powder coat them once I get the engine in and redo the intercooler pipes (going twin to single setup).

The last thing I need was another damn decision!!!

This is how Bill's brain works:

Well okay lets chrome the intake. Well for the price to clean and chrome it I can get an aftermarket intake that is high polished...well if I get that intake I need a new rail which needs to be polished (or powder coated black) and I need new injectors. Well if I need injectors I need a controller and I do not want to run a piggyback like AFC ( had hell with one in my 300ZX TT) so now I need AEM...you can see where this takes me.
Old 04-13-11, 08:31 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

this is going to be AWESOME! can't wait to see the final results! thanks for sharing!
Old 04-14-11, 03:59 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

There is a chroming place the Supra guys use that looks like they do really nice work and the intake is $250. VCs are $100 each. TB is $90. Polished looks good until it smudges up and is a maintenance nightmare. for $500, you could have most of the big stuff under the bay chromed and it would clean up with windex
Old 04-14-11, 08:33 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stockhatch
There is a chroming place the Supra guys use that looks like they do really nice work and the intake is $250. VCs are $100 each. TB is $90. Polished looks good until it smudges up and is a maintenance nightmare. for $500, you could have most of the big stuff under the bay chromed and it would clean up with windex
hmm let me see what I can find over on supraforums...if you know the name shout it out...is it the rbchroming.com? I will call a guy locally. I called about a chrome powder coat if anyone has opinions on that let me know. I am going to try to get by the shop next week and take a look at it.

Intake I am looking at going with an aftermarket just cause...it is chromed.
I would chrome or powder coat the following:
first value is chrome and PC = powder coat

valve covers: $200 PC= $115
pulleys: $150 PC= $0 ( I have new pulleys from drift or $55)
turbo compressor housing: $150 PC=$55
power steering res: $65 PC=$40
throttle body (looking at Q45): $90 PC=$45
water necks: $90 PC=$50
radiator hard pipe: $65 PC=$25
brake master cylinder: $45 PC=$35

chrome would be $855
powdercoating would be: $365

I know the chrome would look crazy but wow!! Again this is some thinking.

Quick Reply: Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154