Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Couple of Questions from a New SC300 Owner!!

Old 03-20-11, 06:38 PM
supraNV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Questions from a New SC300 Owner!!

Just recently purchased my first Lexus, a 1992 SC300 5 Speed. Love the car, just have a few questions about some of the mods that have been done on the car previously...

First off the previous owner put a universal type intake system in place of the factory system... It looks as if he went to the junk yard and bought a new maf sensor and then put aluminum untake tubing from the intake manifold to the maf and then on the other side of the maf he put more tubing going to a cheap foam style air filter... I have included a pic to help with my description... Question is I guess...do I have to have the maf sensor piece in the intake setup ??? I see that there is a wire harness going into the maf...is that a needed harness??? I was looking into replacing it with an injen short ram intake but I do not see where the wiring harness would plug into...Do you just leave the harness unplugged???

Also, I have read for quite a few hours on the EGR delete... I have a check engine light with code 71, I was wondering if I could just unplug the egr sensor and put the resistor in there like you do when you are doing the full egr delete, but not in fact taking the egr out at all...Just to get the check engine light off??? I understand you have to remove the egr system if you are going turbo but I do not plan on that anytime soon just want the annoying light to go away...

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!

Old 03-20-11, 06:40 PM
supraNV
Driver School Candidate

Also one more thing... I see on a few other sc300's that they have a sorta see through engine cover like where the Lexus L is on the engine cover and you can see into it and see blue pulleys... what mod is this???
Old 03-23-11, 06:02 AM
supraNV
Driver School Candidate

no one has anything to say? Nobody knows the answers?