Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98+ 5speed swap BACKUP LIGHTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 05:10 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is real great stuff! Now tell me.., how do you plan on legally passing smog? You can have a bone stock car with only a manual swap, and that alone will trigger an alert on the smog system. If I can get through this I would seriously consider a r154 on my 98 sc400.
Old 06-16-11, 01:47 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scfou
This is real great stuff! Now tell me.., how do you plan on legally passing smog? You can have a bone stock car with only a manual swap, and that alone will trigger an alert on the smog system. If I can get through this I would seriously consider a r154 on my 98 sc400.
I haven't read thru this thread in a while (and am too lazy to at the moment), but as I recall your emissions should be fine, right? As long as you're not throwing a code, I think you're golden... correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-16-11, 02:05 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
i really wish i could get some more info from that guy who mounted the v2 sensor in the top of his W58...
Are you talking about this

Old 06-20-11, 01:00 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

That picture is of a sensor mounted at the rear of the car, just in front of the differential carrier. That can't make any difference though if the reading comes from any place along the driveshaft.
Old 10-03-11, 04:10 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

guys i have had a few people PM me wanting more info about this swap. here's my reply i'll copy and paste from the last one i answered:
hey man, sorry for the late reply. i sold my nice SC300 and bought a POS nissan 240sx to make money off of, and no one wants to buy it. so i havent been on CL much lately.

the speedo is not an issue with the 98+ 5spd swap. the speedo in the 98+ SCs comes from the ABS computer. IIRC, the abs computer just sends a pulsed output straight up to the cluster, so the transmission doesn't matter for the speedo.

as far as making sure the CEL is off, you just have to make the ECU think the auto trans is still there...
so just remove everything electrical from the trans and plug it into the harness down there. the ECU doesn't do any weird running checks to make sure all the sensors are seeing normal signals, it only checks for resistance and voltage to make sure the stuff is plugged in (resistance for the solenoids, voltage for the valves) EDIT: i think there are 3 shift valves, 2 solenoids, and 2 other things that i can't remember at the moment. the info is all in this thread.

the only issues i'm aware of are A) the cruise control won't work, and B) the memory driver's seat feature won't work.
A) there is a speed sensor for ONLY the cruise control, which happens to be on the automatic transmission, so obviously, when you remove the transmission the sensor will be removed. i believe it's called "V2 speed sensor" in the wiring diagrams. this won't throw a CEL, but that pulsed input from the transmission is not there, so the cruise control doesn't know what to do. why they didn't just use the same ABS speed signal for the cruise control is beyond me.this may be more info than you care about, but i almost mounted a 4 tooth trigger wheel on my driveshaft (V2 speed sensor sends 4 pulses per driveshaft revolution BTW) and mounted the V2 speed sensor up there so my cruise control would work, but i sold the car before i did it. :-/

B) i think the 12v power for the seat memory circuit/box thingy is tied into the auto trans harness at some point. i never cared enough to look into it.

Originally Posted by DONT SLEEP
Hey man,

I'm looking to do a W58 swap in my 98 SC300. I'm piecing everything together now and having QwkSC4 probably do it for me, but I just wanted to confirm a couple things with you. I see that you got your CEL to off by swapping in the sensors and solenoids, but does that clear all the CEL codes? What is the whole concern about the speedometer thing.. will the speedometer still be accurate? What other concerns do I have with swapping in the manual transmission (aside from cruise control)?
Old 10-03-11, 04:12 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
Are you talking about this

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
That picture is of a sensor mounted at the rear of the car, just in front of the differential carrier. That can't make any difference though if the reading comes from any place along the driveshaft.

that's not what i was talking about, but that would work perfectly. IIRC though, that sensor is only supposed to pickup 4 pulses per driveshaft revolution. that pic looks like it has 8 teeth? not sure.

the one i was talking about was a picture a guy posted of the engine/trans out of the car (1UZ) and he had just mounted that V2 speed sensor in the top of the gearbox about half way back.

i like the trigger wheel on the driveshaft.
Old 10-03-11, 04:14 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scfou
did you read the thread? if you plug in everything the ECU wants to see, there's no CEL, and no reason you'd fail a plug-in OBDII emissions test.
Old 05-23-12, 05:59 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, i need help my 97 5spd swapped sc300 will not start on the 5spd ecu. I have tried soldering the two wires shown above but it still wont start, please help me!
Old 05-23-12, 06:11 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting...so the starter spins the engine over but it's getting no fuel or spark?
Old 05-28-12, 07:45 AM
VileFCboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by theory5150
Hey guys, i need help my 97 5spd swapped sc300 will not start on the 5spd ecu. I have tried soldering the two wires shown above but it still wont start, please help me!
Somebody help this guy out. lol

Is your car a 2jzge/gte?
I have my 2jzge M/T ecu and hopefully I wont be stuck in this situation. I am just hopping it'll work according to cartmill's thorough explanations.
Old 07-19-13, 09:24 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

First off I wouldn't have pulled off this swap without this thread. Endless thanks goes to Cartmill and Stockhatch.

Anyone know why I have a P0500 code (speed sensor A)? And more importantly how can I fix this? This in the only CEL I have. Was thinking of taping one of the reluctor sensors left from the auto trans to the abs speed wire. But I don't know where the wire is located at the engine ecu. 98 SC400 btw
Old 01-27-18, 07:24 AM
kingblack
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cartmill
man all i did was jumped those two big pins in the middle of that big plug stockhatch posted a picture of above... that's the neutral safety.

I have connected those two wires in the middle that's cut (black/white and green/orange) and im getting code P1780 for NSS too. The other two cut wires (yellow and blue) are for my reverse lights. Do i have to connect the uncut black/white to yellow to get rid of that P1780 code and if so can i leave the yellow connected to my reverse too? A shop did the swap for me. I already plug the solenoids in and ground them. The P1780 code is the only one i have left
Attached Thumbnails 98+ 5speed swap BACKUP LIGHTS?-20180120_120140.jpg