Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98+ 5speed swap BACKUP LIGHTS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 09:54 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
If you plan to swap the 93 in your sig, you won't have near the issues cartmill is having, and you won't have to jump through all these hoops. The OBDII cars are obviously really picky about what you can and can't unplug or bypass.

The OBDI cars are super forgiving in that regard. The cruise is a one wire fix, and you won't get a CEL from removing the auto trans.
I do plan on doing it on my '93, and didn't know what issues I would have (haven't researched it that much yet). Either way, some really great info on this thread. Thanks!
Old 03-13-11, 08:46 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Cartmill, you're my inspiration. I might actually try to swap mine...

How much you paid so far for everything?

i actually bought this car with the 5 speed W58 swap already done.
so i haven't spent much extra

the problem with these damn 98+ cars is there are several MORE SENSORS. it's a pain.

the last thing i have to do is find a way to get the V2 speed sensor signal, because the cruise control on the 98+ uses its own damn speed sensor on the trans (reluctor style, not hall-effect like the normal trans speed sensor)!

stockhatch, any ideas?
Old 03-13-11, 11:43 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Is "V2" not the same as "VSS"? This is all waaaaay out of my league, but thought I may be able to help. If it's the same, this should work, yes? Just ignore me if I'm adding useless posts.
Old 03-14-11, 06:08 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
i actually bought this car with the 5 speed W58 swap already done.
so i haven't spent much extra

the problem with these damn 98+ cars is there are several MORE SENSORS. it's a pain.

the last thing i have to do is find a way to get the V2 speed sensor signal, because the cruise control on the 98+ uses its own damn speed sensor on the trans (reluctor style, not hall-effect like the normal trans speed sensor)!

stockhatch, any ideas?
Ugh that sounds fun. What kind of signal does the reluctor style send? Are you positive that the signal is not compatible with the 3 wire sensors output? If not, maybe a Dakota box could convert the signal to one the cruise ecu likes?

And finally, if none of that works, my r154 has an extra speed sensor provision for abs. It looks to be reluctor, but I am not positive. Maybe it's time for a trans upgrade and a cruise fix in one shot.
Old 03-14-11, 07:39 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

i think any magnetic 2 wire sensor is reluctor style. this is just the sine wave style because of the nature of the magnetic pickup. the 3 wire VSS on the w58 trans is hall-effect (digital) so it sends square wave back to the ECU.

i have no idea if the ECU can take a square wave signal.

and a clutch fix and a flywheel fix and a shifter fix and a clutch slave cylinder fix and a clutch line fix and a driveshaft fix (1500+$). i have 225hp. haha.
Old 03-14-11, 11:26 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I believe there is a converter from digital to analog for the speed sensors.
Old 03-14-11, 12:35 PM
SC YAA
Pole Position

Ok so im going to be doing the 5 speed swap to my car in 2 weeks. This NSS is the only thing that i dont know how to do. I have been reading this thread and i still just dont get it lol. I think it would be a great idea if someone would make a diy thread with pics. I know im not the only one who is confused by this problem lol.
Old 03-14-11, 01:18 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

The quick and dirty way is to just stick a jumper in the trans plug between pins 4 and 7 so it thinks its in park.
Old 03-14-11, 01:29 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

i think any magnetic 2 wire sensor is reluctor style. this is just the sine wave style because of the nature of the magnetic pickup. the 3 wire VSS on the w58 trans is hall-effect (digital) so it sends square wave back to the ECU.

i have no idea if the ECU can take a square wave signal.

and a clutch fix and a flywheel fix and a shifter fix and a clutch slave cylinder fix and a clutch line fix and a driveshaft fix (1500+$). i have 225hp. haha.
Do you have an ABS light from losing the trans abs sensor?

Ok, this may be a stupid idea, but can you just rob signal from a wheel abs sensor?
Old 03-14-11, 01:40 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Do you have an ABS light from losing the trans abs sensor?

Ok, this may be a stupid idea, but can you just rob signal from a wheel abs sensor?
as far as i know, there is no ABS speed sensor on the trans; it uses the speed sensor at each of the 4 wheels.

from what i can tell, there are two reluctor sensors on the trans: one for the shift modes (snow, power, normal, so it can calculator how hard/soft high/low to shift gears) and one for the cruise control.

the gauge cluster (speedo) gets its speed signal straight from the ABS computer (which i believe calculates its signal from all 4 wheel speed sensors).

i had that thought though (stealing the ABS speed signal) and using it for the V2 speed signal...
i could just jumper the ABS ECU SPEED wire (at the engine ECU) with the V2 signal. what do you think?
Old 03-14-11, 01:41 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300guy89
Ok so im going to be doing the 5 speed swap to my car in 2 weeks. This NSS is the only thing that i dont know how to do. I have been reading this thread and i still just dont get it lol. I think it would be a great idea if someone would make a diy thread with pics. I know im not the only one who is confused by this problem lol.

i would love to make a DIY thread, but i have to get the cruise control working first

as far as the CEL problem, all you have to do is take the pan off of your transmission, remove all the solenoids/valves, and plug them into the plug that you left open when you took the trans out

Last edited by cartmill; 03-14-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 01:56 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300guy89

Cut the two wires going into the NSS and tie them together effectively bypassing the switch.
Old 03-14-11, 03:03 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

i could just jumper the ABS ECU SPEED wire (at the engine ECU) with the V2 signal. what do you think?
It may work. As long as they are the same type of signal.
Old 03-14-11, 04:02 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

i dont think it will work. i think the ABS rings on the hubs have like 36 teeth.
the v2 speed sensor ring only has 4 teeth. (1/9th the signal frequency)

so i'm thinking that if you are going 55 mph, the ECU will think you're going 9 times faster, which would be 495mph. sounds great, except that i think the cruise ecu won't work over 125mph.
Old 03-14-11, 04:18 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

LOL. I was wondering about the frequency, but figured it wouldn't be THAT much of a difference. The V2 ring only has 4 teeth? What crappy resolution!

Quick Reply: 98+ 5speed swap BACKUP LIGHTS?