Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Clutch Slippage?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 09:45 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Clutch Slippage?!?!?!?!

Hey guys!!

I am having issues with my clutch slipping pretty damn bad, first off i wanna start off by saying i have a BPU 1JZ 5spd Sc300, i had a CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch kit in my SC300 and it handled boost jus fine until i started bupping it up to 15psi-18psi, i expected it to start slipping sooner or later because this clutch has been on my car for a while now...

Anyway...

I replaced the clutch with a ACT sprung 6 puck disc, But with a OEM Pressure Plate Beacause the CenterForce Dual Friction Pressure Plate wouldnt clear the springs on the ACT disc due to the fact the CFDF Pressure Plate has weights on them and that is wouldnt clear the springs on the ACT disc....

Now that this disc is in the car it drives fine, chatters alil as expect since its a 6 puck but if i go past 50% throttle the clutch slips pretty bad!!!!

Im completely lost right now, i resurfaced my flywheel so i dont think its that....the disc isnt in backwards because i made sure the flywheel side has a sticker on it to help prevent putting it in backwards...Plz help!!
Old 02-20-11, 11:39 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock pressure plate just doesn't have the guts man. Most people do the opposite and run a stock disk with aftermarket pressure plate to avoid chatter and increase capacity. Just out of curiosity, did you break it in at all? Really, you shouldn't have to on a 6 puck, but some people recommend it. I didn't on mine and it doesn't slip, but I'm on an ACT PP too.

At any rate, now that it's slipping, it is probably glazed to the point there it wont seat anyways. I would bite the bullet and get a decent PP. While you are in there, scuff the pucks up a little and rebed it.
Old 02-20-11, 12:40 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Stock pressure plate just doesn't have the guts man. Most people do the opposite and run a stock disk with aftermarket pressure plate to avoid chatter and increase capacity. Just out of curiosity, did you break it in at all? Really, you shouldn't have to on a 6 puck, but some people recommend it. I didn't on mine and it doesn't slip, but I'm on an ACT PP too.

At any rate, now that it's slipping, it is probably glazed to the point there it wont seat anyways. I would bite the bullet and get a decent PP. While you are in there, scuff the pucks up a little and rebed it.
Well I am getting the ACT PP aswell, but I have a friend with a singled gte on a w58 wit a oem PP and 6 puck and his is fine, he's makin 500+...

Also no I haven't completely broke in the clutch yet, the clutch only has about 22miles on it, so honestly I will give it alil time I guess....

Drive it for alil continue to break the clutch in and see if it starts to get better if not I will have the ACT PP by then and if I still have the issue I will put the PP in and see if that helps..

But as of now idk
Old 02-20-11, 12:58 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't figure a stock pp would hold over 500hp with any disk, but I guess live and learn. I hope it seats in and starts biting for you.
Old 02-20-11, 01:15 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no way a stock pressure plate for a w58 will hold 500+hp.

the PP is way more important than the disc.
just listen to stockhatch. apparently the dude knows what he's talking about!
Old 02-20-11, 05:18 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the pressure plate combined with a good friction material that allows engine power to be transfered to the transmission and beyond. Just upgrading a disc won't get you anywhere. If it did we would all be running aftermarket discs and stock pressure plates.

you should have just upgraded to a full ACT package, not just the disc. Im having the same problems with my centerforce dual friction and am pissed i have to replace the clutch again. Im doing it right this time with an ACT XTreme pressure plate and street disc.
Old 02-20-11, 06:45 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't figure a stock pp would hold over 500hp with any disk, but I guess live and learn. I hope it seats in and starts biting for you.
Thanks man, I appreciate u because everytime i post something you are one of the only guys that always respones n tries to help...
So when i get the ACT PP do u think it will work fine or u think i messed up the disc??
Originally Posted by cartmill
there is no way a stock pressure plate for a w58 will hold 500+hp.

the PP is way more important than the disc.
just listen to stockhatch. apparently the dude knows what he's talking about!
Whateva u say man... I dont Unserstand y u are so **** about this...

Im not saying the car was Daily driven or anything im jus saying that PP did hold it...im not sure how long because he sold the car but im jus stating the fact...

Originally Posted by StiCk3
It's the pressure plate combined with a good friction material that allows engine power to be transfered to the transmission and beyond. Just upgrading a disc won't get you anywhere. If it did we would all be running aftermarket discs and stock pressure plates.

you should have just upgraded to a full ACT package, not just the disc. Im having the same problems with my centerforce dual friction and am pissed i have to replace the clutch again. Im doing it right this time with an ACT XTreme pressure plate and street disc.
I get you, u just bought a Centerforce Dual Friction disc but no PP...
I had the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch kit on my car and it held great!! i should jus buy a new disc since i already have the PP but ima jus get the ACT PP, do u thin k it will work with my disc or did i ruin it??
Old 02-21-11, 04:37 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I doubt you ruined the disk. You can get some fine sandpaper, or emery cloth and scuff up the pucks when you take it apart. It shouldn't take much. Just scuff them up till they dull a bit.

You probably want to scuff the flywheel too. If its really bad you may have to have it resurfaced again. If you see much blue on the flywheel, I would have it cut again or just get another one. I know you hate to hear that.

Also, when you put it back together, I would for sure go easy on it for at least a couple hundred miles stop and go. This will help everything bed in and give you the best chance of success.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-11, 07:39 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

I doubt you ruined the disk. You can get some fine sandpaper, or emery cloth and scuff up the pucks when you take it apart. It shouldn't take much. Just scuff them up till they dull a bit.

You probably want to scuff the flywheel too. If its really bad you may have to have it resurfaced again. If you see much blue on the flywheel, I would have it cut again or just get another one. I know you hate to hear that.

Also, when you put it back together, I would for sure go easy on it for at least a couple hundred miles stop and go. This will help everything bed in and give you the best chance of success.

Good luck!
Thanks again bro, i doubt the flywheel is bad tho, i have taken it easy on the clutch i jus had it turned on thursday and i put it 2gether friday... n barely put any miles on it but we will see...

also u i have 2 more ACT clutch disc..lol one is another used sprung 6 puck and another brand new 6 puck that is unsprung
Old 02-21-11, 07:52 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

screw single disk clutches. if you can afford it I would get a twin disk OS giken

seriously, even though I have yet to drive it the pedal feel is very nice and easy and will hold 850+ hp. Im sure they have a application for a w58 but at that point the clutch is worth more than your transmission.

I will say though, When you put a better grabbing clutch you need to realize your clutch will no longer be the weak link in your drive train, It will probably be the transmission now.
Old 02-21-11, 08:58 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Biggu

I will say though, When you put a better grabbing clutch you need to realize your clutch will no longer be the weak link in your drive train, It will probably be the transmission now.
Exactly! When using a W58 in a high hp setup, the clutch is essentially your only fuse
Old 02-21-11, 10:13 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

screw single disk clutches. if you can afford it I would get a twin disk OS giken

seriously, even though I have yet to drive it the pedal feel is very nice and easy and will hold 850+ hp. Im sure they have a application for a w58 but at that point the clutch is worth more than your transmission.

I Feel you Biggu!! honestly i plan to go with a twin disc setup when i go with the R154, but at this moment i will not spend alot of money on a clutch for a W58 because i plan to upgrade to a R154, & as we both kno the clutches are not interchangable...
Old 02-21-11, 08:00 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
I get you, u just bought a Centerforce Dual Friction disc but no PP...
I had the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch kit on my car and it held great!! i should jus buy a new disc since i already have the PP but ima jus get the ACT PP, do u thin k it will work with my disc or did i ruin it??
Oh no, i bought the kit just like you and it holds intermittently. I can't get it to hold all the way through the gears, around third gear it just starts slipping like crazy. That and it tends to chatter when i depress the clutch. Im going to solve the prob this weekend once and for all.

You might be able to get away with a new pressure plate depending on how long you've run with it.

With a clutch like that you might as well kiss your W58 goodbye. Even an R154 would start crying mercy with a clutch as harsh as that...

A guy here has an OS Giken in their car and it was as hard as a freaking rock, his left leg was beefier than his right leg. I can't imagine using a clutch like that for a street car.
Old 02-22-11, 04:42 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Something must have been wrong with it then. Everything I have heard about multi disk plates indicates soft pedal. Many times they have a softer pedal than stock. With multiple friction surfaces, you can ease up on pressure plate force and still hold massive power. The only reason I don't want a multi plate is because I have yet to hear of one that doesn't rattle and chatter like a box of rocks.
Old 02-22-11, 07:21 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Something must have been wrong with it then. Everything I have heard about multi disk plates indicates soft pedal. Many times they have a softer pedal than stock. With multiple friction surfaces, you can ease up on pressure plate force and still hold massive power. The only reason I don't want a multi plate is because I have yet to hear of one that doesn't rattle and chatter like a box of rocks.
I agree something must be wrong with it then. Mine is as soft as my spec stage 3 was. Im sure it engages quick but no big deal.

Quick Reply: New Clutch Slippage?!?!?!?!