Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 08:33 PM
skousenjr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did Mine today, got mine from nappa, they were a bit over priced 33 each

One problem i ran into was that they seemed too long at first. i couldn't get them on, after some fumbling around, and me and a friend almost breaking my trunk forcing it up more, noticed these little clips holding on some rubber bumpers. Removed them, and let the trunk go up just enough to put the lifts in place.

Had issues with the lock tight on one side, but not the other, also the passenger side was a pain, had to raise and lower the trunk to get a crescent in there to unbolt it, since the 12mm wouldn't fit on the onces i had on there.

Get a friend to help hold the trunk, makes it a bit better than trying to do it yourself.
Old 01-10-08, 09:56 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dam man thats so awsome . is that the cheapest u can get them
Old 01-11-08, 06:15 PM
rootaku
Rookie

getting stripped atempting this, so the right side I would go up (counterclockwise) and on the left side I would go down correct? (counterclockwise)

Last edited by rootaku; 01-11-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 07:51 PM
rootaku
Rookie

I manage to strip one side completely, used an open wrench as stated and it just didn't want me to have it easy I guess.

so, uhm I bought a dremel. I've never used one in my life before so, any tips on how and where to start attacking this beast of a bolt?

Last edited by rootaku; 01-11-08 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 08:27 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you heat the bolt up with a lighter? I believe it was stated earlier in this thread as the heat melts some of the loctite. It made the job that much easier.
Old 01-11-08, 09:35 PM
rootaku
Rookie

How long should I leave the lighter on it? I used a lighter on the stripped side for a few secs then atempted again but no dice, might have stripped too much already or not enough time with the fire maybe.. I guess I have a 2nd chance on the right side. But about the left side, should I commence dremeling? It's already stripped pretty well only after about 5-6 atempts =/

And, is it safe to have heat around the gas lift? So maybe about 2-3 secs, 3 times ? Its pretty close and the lighter hits the "ball joint" area
Old 01-11-08, 09:44 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't remember how long I left it on probably about 10-15 seconds straight around the front and back threading of the bolt. It would take alot of heat to make the pressurized gas any sort of danger and a lighter does not provide that much heat.

With the wrench attached to the bolt and the handle facing down you would push towards the front of the car for the driver's side and pull towards the rear for the passenger side.

Last edited by TheMole; 01-11-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 07:45 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found if it is already stripped, you can just use miniature vice grips and that will get them out guaranteed. I haven't used any heat though.

Also, I replaced my supports entirely so I wasn't worried about wrecking the clips, and if you're in the same situation, I would recommend removing the "clips" end of it first so that removing the bolt isn't more difficult than it has to be.
Old 01-12-08, 01:06 PM
V300Altus
Driver

I got my shocks from Autozone for $25. each and had to order them. Please do not make the mistake of not using the torch on the screws. This makes it so easy. Take care.
Old 01-12-08, 01:47 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rootaku
And, is it safe to have heat around the gas lift? So maybe about 2-3 secs, 3 times ? Its pretty close and the lighter hits the "ball joint" area
I'd be more worried about the gas tank right there
Old 01-12-08, 02:01 PM
trackball
Rookie

Can anyone take one of the photos already posted in the beginning of this thread, and edit it to show where we are supposed to apply the flame / lighter? I will be doing this job sometime in the coming weeks, and want to do it properly.
Old 01-27-08, 02:40 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

i did mine today. i bought them on ebay, $32 shipped for a pair. on both sides the bolts started to strip without coming loose at all. i didnt want to use a torch and risk burning something around there. i used my sawsall and cut the ball joint thing off so i could get a socket on the bolt. with a socket wrench they i still couldnt get them off. then i stepped it up to the impact wrench. they came right out. popped the new ones on and i was done.
Old 01-27-08, 03:16 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trackball
Can anyone take one of the photos already posted in the beginning of this thread, and edit it to show where we are supposed to apply the flame / lighter? I will be doing this job sometime in the coming weeks, and want to do it properly.
picture.
Attached Thumbnails How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...-trunkthingy.jpg  
Old 01-30-08, 01:17 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, you're right- I did have good intentions.
But I forgot to make them idiot-proof.

Not all lift support manufacturers use the same sized bolt- yours must have been a different size. It happens.

If anyone is not savvy enough to feel the looseness of a 12mm wrench on a 11mm bolt, then a DIY project such as this one should be left to a qualified mechanic.

And, no I am not trying to break your Lexus- sounds like you won't need any help to do so yourself. I noticed this is not the first time you have had trouble following instructions on this forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...12&postcount=4

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 01-30-08 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 01:31 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you have the take the ball joint off from the car? i know that it is the hardest part of this swap but you really dont need to take it off, i did mine without taking it off and its just perfectly fine

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...